Suggestion uptime

Putkisen setä

Currently suggestions can remain open for anything up to two weeks while others are accepted in a day or less. Some consistency would be nice seeing as any suggestion that gets to be that old will invariably be outdated. If choosing whether it has sufficient proof and community support is difficult, putting it off will only make it worse. Another practical concern is the fact that all evidence for that suggestion will now be outdated and thus unusable so remaking it to remove any outliers from the attempted range cannot be done.

Currently suggestions can remain open for anything up to two weeks while others are accepted in a day or less. Some consistency would be nice seeing as any suggestion that gets to be that old will invariably be outdated. If choosing whether it has sufficient proof and community support is difficult, putting it off will only make it worse. Another practical concern is the fact that all evidence for that suggestion will now be outdated and thus unusable so remaking it to remove any outliers from the attempted range cannot be done.

The moderators are aware of this - sometimes suggestions are left up intentionally to see if the market reflects the suggested range, or to see if more proof shows up before deciding what to do. Normally they don't stay up longer than three weeks though.

My S. Bazaar Bargain suggestion was perfectly fine with its proof when I made it 10 days ago, but because it's been left open for so long most of the links are now invalid :L

Would be nice to see suggestions being dealt with in a consistent way. 

Sometimes the mods leave things open to see if any "unsold" links stay that way. Sometimes they are left up to give more people the opportunity to comment on it (especially with currency suggestions). Like Jacobmeister said, sometimes they are left up to watch the market. Sometimes they are left up because the mods aren't sure about the suggestions and want other mods to look it over.

Many suggestions are left up, however, because we only have so many mods. This is especially true with unusual suggestions, which take more checking and appraisal than standard items.

With our current staffing numbers, there is not much we can do to improve suggestion moderation times.

Many suggestions are left up, however, because we only have so many mods. This is especially true with unusual suggestions, which take more checking and appraisal than standard items.

Just about every mod can look at any suggestion and tell before looking at any proof whether the range is right or wrong. That comes from trading experience. And we prioritize items for backlog or immediate assessment based on that experience. I cannot tell you the number of times I have caught mistakes just because I'll look at a suggestion and say, I know that trader. He would never complete that kind of trade. And you'll add the trader in question and confirm what you suspected.

I look at every single suggestion that gets made within a day. If it's left up for longer than a day, I have left it up intentionally. In these cases there are problems with the suggestion. This can mean one of many things:

(1) The proof is fairly weak (unsolds need to mature, there aren't many links and we want people to add more links in comments, etc.)

(2) The range isn't supported by SCM or classifieds.

(3) The range doesn't feel right based on a mod's experience and the mod would like to leave it up for ~2 weeks to see if more sales happen.

Particularly for unusuals, I will intentionally leave suggestions up for 2 weeks, as you often have to wait for that long for sales to happen. So in a sense, the way we handle suggestions is standardized in that there is a dichotomy of suggestions - those get accepted in 8 hours to a day and those that get accepted at around the 2 week mark. Suggestions left up for longer than 2 weeks are admittedly ones that mods just haven't had time for. Those are all time-consuming suggestions and if we don't get help from the community they take a lot longer than normal to get through.

Archived