Internet Piracy

FoxsenBloc

What are your honest Opinions on Internet Piracy? I have a pretty Biased view as I don't really care if the company has already made there due on a product but if it's something small and not known I take great offense to it.

(ex: EA is bad, Pirate away c:)

I don't see piracy as such a big deal, since from my experience, most people who end up pirating content (excluding software) had no intention of buying it in the first place. So the results of them pirating the content -- isn't technically a lost sale since they never had any intention of purchasing it in the first place -- but rather a gained sale/s since that one person will tell their friends (assuming it's good) and the likelihood that at least one of those friends will pay for it is pretty high. So in the long run, I don't really see piracy affecting sales negatively. Software -- Office/photoshop/etc..., on the other hand, is a bit different. 

I don't see piracy as such a big deal, since from my experience, most people who end up pirating content (excluding software) had no intention of buying it in the first place. So the results of them pirating the content -- isn't technically a lost sale since they never had any intention of purchasing it in the first place -- but rather a gained sale/s since that one person will tell their friends (assuming it's good) and the likelihood that at least one of those friends will pay for it is pretty high. So in the long run, I don't really see piracy affecting sales negatively. Software -- Office/photoshop/etc..., on the other hand, is a bit different. 

Wow thank you for your Informative Response! I never thought of it as a Advertisement. Thank you for Enlightening me. C:

I pirate a great many things (Music, movies, art software, games etc) largely due to the fact that I simply lack the ability to pay for it but I still want to have an experience with it. With music and movies I have no intention on making a real purchase, but in regards to software and games and all that if I really enjoy myself I'll gladly save up and actually make the purchase later, and I know many people that act in a similar manner.

So no, I don't see it as nearly as big a problem as some people make it out to be.

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/25256-opinions-on-illegal-torrenting/?p=281157

I don't see piracy as such a big deal, since from my experience, most people who end up pirating content (excluding software) had no intention of buying it in the first place.

There have actually been studies that back up this; http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21856720HBO actually takes a lax stance against piracy because it apparently improved the popularity of Game of Thrones (particularly the first season).

This only applies to larger developers, however. For smaller companies, who have very limited market share to begin with, piracy can hurt their sales figures and profit margins

I pirate a great many things (Music, movies, art software, games etc) largely due to the fact that I simply lack the ability to pay for it but I still want to have an experience with it. With music and movies I have no intention on making a real purchase, but in regards to software and games and all that if I really enjoy myself I'll gladly save up and actually make the purchase later, and I know many people that act in a similar manner.

So no, I don't see it as nearly as big a problem as some people make it out to be.

Oh,Well that's still very noble of you, I see where your coming from in such a Low-Paying Economy.

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/25256-opinions-on-illegal-torrenting/?p=281157

There have actually been studies that back up this; http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21856720HBO actually takes a lax stance against piracy because it apparently improved the popularity of Game of Thrones (particularly the first season).

This only applies to larger developers, however. For smaller companies, who have very limited market share to begin with, piracy can hurt their sales figures and profit margins

Thanks for the link, Didn't know someone already did something like this, hehe. But those studies are very interesting, Makes sense as my Views are similar, Thanks for the Response. c:

If there were a fee required to join steam, I wouldn't be here today. The only reason why I ever pay for something is because I spend some time playing it and decide I like it. Eventually I will buy the binding of isaac rebirth, because I do want to support the developer and I liked original isaac. But if I hadn't torrented the original isaac, I wouldn't care about the entire franchise at all.

Honestly, free trials are the ultimate way to make money, at least on people like me. And piracy is kind of like a free trial self serve.

If there were a fee required to join steam, I wouldn't be here today. The only reason why I ever pay for something is because I spend some time playing it and decide I like it. Eventually I will buy the binding of isaac rebirth, because I do want to support the developer and I liked original isaac. But if I hadn't torrented the original isaac, I wouldn't care about the entire franchise at all.

Honestly, free trials are the ultimate way to make money, at least on people like me. And piracy is kind of like a free trial self serve.

I agree 100% on this, The only reason I ever bought Payday 2 was it's Vast Demo.

And I also love your Nobility in paying after you think its a right Purchase, thank you for your Response! c:  

I really don't care if someone pirates or not, but I hate the justifications of those that do. Don't go sugarcoating it or use some convoluted sob story of why you pirate, just admit it and be done with it.

Me, I pirated heavily back in the days of middle and high school. However, after that, once I entered into the working world and had spending money, I pretty much stopped. Everything I wanted was more accessible to me and I found myself preferring to spend a little to get a working copy rather than dealing with the hassle, time, and uncertainty of piracy.

I will also say that I love it when games add subtle little things to fight piracy rather than straight up DRM. Things like Batman flapping his arms like Wile E. Coyote, Micheal Jackson's Vuvuzelas, or Game Dev Tycoon's being destroyed by piracy.

For me it really depends on the reason for pirating in Australia most people pirate because of our stupidly marked up prices and we get the content months later, Eg for game of thrones Foxtel bought the rights added on a stupid premium on top of the normal price, you cant download to keep a copy and we get the episodes much later compared to everyone else. (It was +35$/month on top of the normal foxtel naise joke...oh wait)

Louis CK put it well:

"The whole country pirates there. [in the US] weirdos pirate things, but in Australia, moms and dads pirate video, because we’re not letting them buy it. We’re keeping it from them,†he said.

“Everybody in the world is like ‘take my fucking credit card’ and just let me have the thing, and I’ll pay. But if you’re going to be a pain in the ass, fuck you! I can steal all of it!â€

“So the whole country rips TV,†he added." 

Source: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/louis-ck-on-piracy-in-australia-the-whole-country-pirates/

For smaller companies, who have very limited market share to begin with, piracy can hurt their sales figures and profit margins

^This

There was a small relatively popular mobile company which translated visual novels ended up going bankrupt because many of their users datamined their translations and uploaded them everywhere :S (forgot the name will edit it back with the name when it comes back to me)

I pirate movies and series,because I don't see the point of paying for a limited time of entertainment (Even tho most games are 'limited',it's different) and some games just to see if they are good,since most of them I only play for about a hour and never remember it exist afterwards or to see if my PC can run it,since canyourunit(the site) is mostly bullshit and I use a crappy notebook to play,only if I really like the game,it's on Steam,it's not Early-Acess and it's not overpriced I will consider buying.

I have pirated every season/episode of Game Of Thrones so far, do I feel bad about it? Not really, if you look at it on the larger scale, pirating simply brings popularity to whatever is pirated, which in return may bring money to whatever company created it.

According to some stats, HBO made 4.9 BILLION DOLLARS in 2013, they obviously aren't doing to bad and I doubt a little piracy is gone stop that number from going up.

Archived