Sort of a question about pricing suggestions for the economy

Evan1114

So basically, what I've gathered from looking at how price suggestions work, is that all you really have to do is find a few people who have

sold an item successfully either a bit under or a bit above the actual price, and then you just suggest that be the new price. If this is how it works, then it's no wonder the economy is constantly jumping all over the place, usually landing in shitty places.

Someone could easily take a Mann Co. Key and sell it to someone who doesn't know what they're doing for a few reclaimed, or even a few refined metal above the current price. Afterwards, someone could just come along and see this happening and just say "Oh look, this guy knows what he's doing and has found a way to make business by raising the price. Better show this to everyone to start making the price higher and higher."

Is this actually how it works in a nutshell, or am I missing something?

So basically, what I've gathered from looking at how price suggestions work, is that all you really have to do is find a few people who have

sold an item successfully either a bit under or a bit above the actual price, and then you just suggest that be the new price. If this is how it works, then it's no wonder the economy is constantly jumping all over the place, usually landing in shitty places.

Someone could easily take a Mann Co. Key and sell it to someone who doesn't know what they're doing for a few reclaimed, or even a few refined metal above the current price. Afterwards, someone could just come along and see this happening and just say "Oh look, this guy knows what he's doing and has found a way to make business by raising the price. Better show this to everyone to start making the price higher and higher."

Is this actually how it works in a nutshell, or am I missing something?

You're missing a lot. You need more than just one sale for currencies, and some sales are considered outliers and don't effect the price. Don't take my word for it though, i've never made a suggestion in my life but I can guess from looking at them. There are far more experienced people here than I am.

You're missing a lot. You need more than just one sale for currencies, and some sales are considered outliers and don't effect the price. Don't take my word for it though, i've never made a suggestion in my life but I can guess from looking at them. There are far more experienced people here than I am.

you can't make a suggestion off 1 sale.

especially key suggestions, you need 50+ links

I kind of knew that it wouldn't be just one sale that would affect the price. But thanks for clearing that up.

Currencies require a ton of proof and are rather difficult to manipulate. Although, I do agree that smaller market item changes are not always completely accurate, however, I don't think that changing an item from 2 ref to 3 ref will kill the economy. 

Archived