"Backing out" of unusual offers?

AiR²³

I've seen quite a few unusual trades on tf2outpost stating something like:

Only offer if you are 100% sure, i am sick and tired of people backing out of deals....

And my question is, how do you handle it?

As i see it, tf2outpost has way too many unusual trades that are kind of abandoned, run for 5 months, people only accepting 200% overpay, people only looking at their trades once per week, people ignoring offers and stuff like that so am i really supposed to wait a days for a reply after i offered? Am i supposed to only do one offer at a time?

It has come to a point where i don't even want to offer, i wait for offers and then i tell people: I have quite a few offers, i won't decide today, i might go a different direction yet they still react angry when they see i traded for something else...

Think you have a mix up between two situations? Backing out of deals is when both parties agree on a trade and one of them suddenly changes their mind the last second or when they agree on a trade but the buyer doesnt have the funds to buy atm and they agree to hold on to the unusual only for the buyer to back out later.

Imo if you are selling and someone offers for your item either flat out deny the offer or counter offer, asking for them to wait on you to make a decision is annoying and often by the time you decide that you want to accept they probably would have traded away. I would say make up you mind within the day or consider youself to be a slow roller if I agree to hold on to an unusual I will hold on to it max 3 days or i try ask for a down payment. (Obvs exceptions for god tier unusuals where there are hundreds of buds involved.) 

If you are the person offering on an item, your offer will be valid as long as you still have the items you offered, if the seller responds too slow then too bad for them. You wont like it if the seller took their time to consider your offer so you shouldnt do the same to others.

Buyer: Blah blah trade notes

Seller: Oh hi, i want to qs my shit, x keys for my hat

Buyer: Ok, i'll send a trade offer

Seller: Retracted, i don't really want to sell

~~

Question: Why the hell are you offering it if you don't want to sell it? Why did you even click on my trade? 

~~

Similiar situation happens when person ask you to reserve your hat till keys will be tradable or whatever and then back out.

had a guy back out of a 300 key pure purchase last week. he had already made a down payment though so his loss. (qq)

also a bugbear of mine when it comes to offers is people not saying until after you accept that their shit is untradable for 6 days or whatever. i find that so annoying.

You should just not worry about that crap. It's their problem if they get so upset if someone replies to their trade and then changes their mind.

It's not all black and white as the other replies have alluded to - if you've got a seller holding onto something for you when they could have accepted other offers 

that were high enough for them, then perhaps you should feel bad for srewing them over.

If you're just talking about posting a response to an outpost  trade, then don't worry about that....that's just an inquiry imo, post them on every hat you're interested in and see what responses you get.

You should just not worry about that crap. It's their problem if they get so upset if someone replies to their trade and then changes their mind.

It's not all black and white as the other replies have alluded to - if you've got a seller holding onto something for you when they could have accepted other offers 

that were high enough for them, then perhaps you should feel bad for srewing them over.

If you're just talking about posting a response to an outpost  trade, then don't worry about that....that's just an inquiry imo, post them on every hat you're interested in and see what responses you get.

I don't think you fully understand what this topic is about, or can even relate to the situation.

For actual backing out, if they "reserved" the item, you can -trust them IF YOU HAVE THE PROOF.

^Proof: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/34142-is-this-a-valid-reason-to-rep-someone/

Just don't get into an argument or you're a douche as well :)

About trades on tf2op comments, if you agree to something, you should stick to it. If you offer on like 5 hats, as soon as you get one accept, you need to hide/retract your others.

Ye feel you guys i hope that wont happen to me 2day

Yesterday i traded a festive sniper(1 key) for a genuine spec ks Awper Hand

Put it on Op got a 5 key offer/tradeable today in like 2 hours

Other offers i had to decline: Killer Solo; Strange Spec ks sniper rifle+sweets

Edit: i just realised it says unu offers but eh ye fml lol

For actual backing out, if they "reserved" the item, you can -trust them IF YOU HAVE THE PROOF.

^Proof: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/34142-is-this-a-valid-reason-to-rep-someone/

Just don't get into an argument or you're a douche as well :)

About trades on tf2op comments, if you agree to something, you should stick to it. If you offer on like 5 hats, as soon as you get one accept, you need to hide/retract your others.

i had an agreement worked out with them that they would make a 25 key down payment to reserve it and that was non-refundable. so i'm not too salty.

Backing out is so fucking annoying.

Yesterday talk to a guy for 3 hours for his Law. Had a pretty good offer and goes ahead and sells it instantly for Burning Flames Modest. I could of added a lot more for than the modest.

Talk to this guy for 4 hours my reggelator his sunbeams tossle. The plan was he would do 10k + tossle for my unusual. Ended up backing out even when I offered to add like 30.

Talk to this guy for an hour, my reggelator for his ghost bonk boy. He wants it then backs out.

Next day offer him something else for his ghost bonk boy. He agrees on 1:1 , I send him offer. He counters with me adding 10 keys. I send him an offer for 1:1 and he keeps countering trade 10 keys. Then I say like you wanted to 1:1 but he insist I add 5. I compromise and say 3 then he saids 5. I finally agree on 5 keys. Then he says he needs a day to think because he has an offer of his Bonk Boy + 20 keys in unusuals for some shitty Purple Energy Company man which has an outdated price of 200 keys. G Energy is 100 keys and I tell  him that's such a bad deal. Talk to him for half an hour more, he still can't decide then he backs out. Waste of 1 1/2 hours.

All in the time span of a few days.

If I see a trade for an unusual that is more than a couple months old, that tells me overall its a waste of time adding that person. Chances are that person is waiting for that one super-uber trade that he will never get, or fair offers that he has rejected 10 times over.....move along, there's nothing to see here....these aren't the droids we're looking for.

Just let it go.  Somebody is only going to trade if they want to anyway.  It's out of your control.  With some people it's a mind game though.  They'll pretend to be disinterested in an offer or to back out at the last moment just to see if they can get you to add more, only to go through with the trade anyway when you stick to your guns.  I've even had people who did this add me back to do a trade that they were claiming to be dead set against only hours or minutes earlier.  This is why it pays not to be rude, but know what you're after, know your price, and stick to your guns.  Being rude will just backfire on you in a situation like that because it burns potential bridges.  Lots of traders just turn into complete assholes the moment that they think a deal is not going to happen.  Bad move.

It's normal unfortunately.  Backing out of a deal last minute is something that's going to happen every once in a while, and you can't really do anything about it.  It's unusual trading and most of the time people have their eyes on more than one hat at a time.  They're playing the field, which pisses you off, but you can't really do anything to change it.  The sooner you accept it and deal with it politely, the better for everyone involved, especially you.

However, there are some quick rules and guidelines for making your life easier: 

- Trade open longer than 2 months (longer for god-tiers):  I don't even bother offering.  I'm not overpaying 75% because you think your mediocre hat is the best thing since sliced bread. 

- Tentative offers/Theoretical offers (doesn't have the keys/items yet):  insta-hide.  Come back when you've made up your mind or/and when you've got the means to buy my hat. 

- "Added to discuss":  Step 1. Check backpack Step 2. Determine if there's even anything in there worth having a discussion over.  Step 3. If no, Ignore add and hide comment, if yes, accept.

- Could you put it on hold for me?:  Sure, I can put it on hold for you for a reasonable amount of time, but there will have to be a non-refundable down payment.  If that's not cool, no worries, but I'm not going to take my hat off the market for the small chance that you're actually going to come back and buy it.  You wouldn't either, because that's just bad business.  

Some of the above probably sounds rude, but remember: 

- Tentative offers very rarely materialize into actual trades.  I myself have never seen it happen.

- Theoretical offers very rarely come through, they usually end up buying something else.  

- Added to discuss:  the reason they want to add you rather than offer like anyone else is because they know you're probably just going to hide their offer (because it's shit) but they think their master negotiating skills will be able to convince you to enter a deal.  Fuck off kid, you can't convince me of shit.  I don't give a fuck how many time you're going to tell me that your shit hat has been offered 200 keys.  If it had all these amazing offers, why didn't you take any of them?  Yea, thought so...Although, I have made quite a few deals with people who've added me, but I already knew that they would be able to make an offer I'd accept.  

- Trade open longer than 2 months (longer for god-tiers):  I don't even bother offering.  I'm not overpaying 75% because you think your mediocre hat is the best thing since sliced bread.

If it's a hat you actually want, sometimes it pays off to offer on these, because they're often feeling the anxiety, impatience, and doubt that can come with trying to sell the same hat for so long.  They may try to play it aloof, but people like this can sometimes be won over with a reasonable offer if you're willing to deal with their bullshit attitude at first.  They want to sell.  That's why their hat is listed in the first place.  It's just that they're way too caught up in playing what they may actually believe is a clever mind game.

It's all a front, of course.  Unusual traders are mostly idiots who think they're geniuses.

- Could you put it on hold for me?:  Sure, I can put it on hold for you for a reasonable amount of time, but there will have to be a non-refundable down payment.  If that's not cool, no worries, but I'm not going to take my hat off the market for the small chance that you're actually going to come back and buy it.  You wouldn't either, because that's just bad business. 

It never occurred to me to ask for a down payment.  Obviously holding something is just stupid, because if a good offer comes along in the meantime, only an idiot would pass it up.  Why pass on a real opportunity now for a potential deal in the future which may or may not go through?  Ridiculous.  But a non-refundable down payment would be a good reason.  If the guy backs out, you've still gotten some free stuff out of it.  Smart.

- Added to discuss:  the reason they want to add you rather than offer like anyone else is because they know you're probably just going to hide their offer (because it's shit) but they think their master negotiating skills will be able to convince you to enter a deal.  Fuck off kid, you can't convince me of shit.  I don't give a fuck how many time you're going to tell me that your shit hat has been offered 200 keys.  If it had all these amazing offers, why didn't you take any of them?  Yea, thought so.

Yeah fuck those guys.  They think they're being so smart but they're just incredibly transparent.  The whole thing is insulting.

If it's a hat you actually want, sometimes it pays off to offer on these, because they're often feeling the anxiety, impatience, and doubt that can come with trying to sell the same hat for so long.  They may try to play it aloof, but people like this can sometimes be won over with a reasonable offer if you're willing to deal with their bullshit attitude at first.  They want to sell.  That's why their hat is listed in the first place.  It's just that they're way too caught up in playing what they may actually believe is a clever mind game.

It's all a front, of course.  Unusual traders are mostly idiots who think they're geniuses.

You're right, sometimes a hat lingers on the market too long and you can smell the desperation on the buyer's part.  But those aren't the kind of hats I'd be after ;)   I was speaking more about guys with perfectly fine hats, they get nice offers, but they just refuse everything and it's not even clear whether the hats really for sale.  Two extreme examples: 

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/10108829

or

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/20841331

As far as I'm concerned, these hats may as well not even be on the market.  The trades are still actively bumped, but these guys aren't selling, at least not for anything even remotely resembling a reasonable amount for their hat.  And as you can see, these trades are still being actively bumped, so it gives the impression that the sellers are actually actively trying to sell.  What's really going on here is that they don't actually want to sell their hats, but they keep a trade open anyway for the tiny chance that someone will offer something so outrageously high that they wouldn't have a choice but to accept. 

Archived