To What Extent Is Life Worth Living?

Python.

Almost every day, when walking home from school, I see this old man walking to his mailbox

He gets there and back from his front door in 10 minutes with a walker. He pushes his mail with it sometimes because he can't hold it

He lives with someone. Either his daughter or a maid of some kind

Anyway, my point is, what's the point?

I'm not questioning if life isn't worth living, or that this old man should give up, but to what extent would you continue on?

When you're crippled? mute? on life support? having your family members care for you until you pass?

Nobody can make this decision but you, so what would you do if you were in a situation like this? What's the max you can handle?

I would only live to the point when I don't have a purpose anymore. To me, life must have a purpose. In that salutation, my purpose is to count my days and enjoy them before I die. 

Any life is worth living.

I'd rather be battered and bruised and tortured than dead.

Obviously never been tortured then

That's very vague. That can range from thumb screws to waterboarding to scaphism. 

I actually fear growing old so my answer probably has quite a bit of bias.

As someone with a a bit of a superiority complex, I would rather die than reach a state where I am on life support or aged to the point where my body is failing (immune system is weak, body can hardly move, gone blind) or need some sort of nurse to constantly look after me. To me, nothing is worse than being a useless parasite unto society and needing round the clock care.

As such, it also influenced my decision to major in biology, with a strong focus on genetics. (I believe that genetics holds the key to youth, surgery can repair our haggard bodies and robotics can give us suitable replacements until natural science can save us.)

Yep.  Life is fleeting.  Once you're gone, you're gone. Death is evidently final based on everything we know thus far about the natural world, with no apparent afterlife.  Knowing this, I think I'd put up with quite a lot of suffering before I'd want to die.  Life is too precious to want to give up.

Yep.  Life is fleeting.  Once you're gone, you're gone. Death is evidently final based on everything we know thus far about the natural world, with no apparent afterlife.  Knowing this, I think I'd put up with quite a lot of suffering before I'd want to die.  Life is too precious to want to give up.

Not to steer off topic, but we don't know either way, if there is or isn't. We obviously know once dead (Legitimately, there have been cases where people have officially "died" only to come back soon after, especially in surgeries) you are dead.

Anyway, I don't think life ever really loses a meaning to keep going. Life is a beautiful thing, one you only get one shot with. To assume that you'll have done "your purpose" and thus are done with life is just stupid- your most basic purpose is to live and explore life.

Also I dunno why you people are so worried about old age etc. I'd love to have a very repetitive job, same hours, no traveling, etc., and then retire. It's peaceful and sounds fantastic.

Life is worth living as long as you can bring joy to the world. Either for yourself or for others (grandkids or something). Because that's the meaning of life. Being happy and making other happy

All people have a breaking point. Trust me, at some point, you will prefere death to torture.

CF exquisite CIA methods

Not to steer off topic, but we don't know either way, if there is or isn't. We obviously know once dead (Legitimately, there have been cases where people have officially "died" only to come back soon after, especially in surgeries) you are dead.

First of all, "we don't know either way" is technically true, but we also don't know either way if there is a giant purple brain floating in space 400,000 light years away.  I just made it up right now, but it's certainly true that neither of us knows either way if one is really there, and nobody can actually check every inch of space in a 400,000 light year radius to eliminate that possibility, just as nobody can actually check to verify that there is or is not an afterlife.  Both ideas are absurd, and both are made up by people, and if you doubt that, just go digging around for all the wildly different ideas of an afterlife.  But we technically don't know either way.  That is true.

Second, it may surprise and disturb you on reflection to know that being declared dead is not the same as actually being fully gone, and as such, mistakes can be and are frequently made.  Clicky.  A doctor can declare you dead and you can still have brain activity, for example, and be having your own near-death experience (hint: the important part of this term near-death, which indicates you didn't actually completely die yet because there was still activity in your body).  In reality, the exact moment of transition from alive to dead is a little more complicated than you might suspect, and neurological activity can go on for quite a long time after your apparent death.  Moreover, even in a case where someone would be revived from what could be agreed upon as complete death, it wouldn't then follow that this person has legitimately returned from any sort of afterlife.  That's an irrational leap. 

If you want to discuss this further, I suggest starting a new thread about it.

I would put up with a lot of pain and torture before dying. There is nothing that i fear more than death, cuz once you are gone, you are gone. And since I'm and athiest i find death extremely terrifying. Sometimes i wish I could be religious to make death easier on me, but it is hard.

I think any life is worth living, but who am I to say, I haven't been forced into slavery, raped, tortured or anything of the sort

Also I dunno why you people are so worried about old age etc. I'd love to have a very repetitive job, same hours, no traveling, etc., and then retire. It's peaceful and sounds fantastic.

That doesn't sound fantastic at all. A repetitive job for years until you're old? How is that fantastic? Seems more like a waste of life, in way at least. While that is the world works, we need to work to get by and to provide for our family etc but I would hardly call such a life to be fantastic based on that.

• Administrators

Living long enough that you make a difference on other people's lives.

You don't even need to live that long to do this, just be a caring and decent person to those around you...

(Or a total dick I guess, you didn't specify a positive difference.)

Until there is no one to love

Pretty much this.. if I had no one to care about and love, I would say its over, of course I wouldn't do anything to kill my self, but I would think my life isn't worth living

Life is worth living if you have a purpose, if there is some form of happiness, some form of pleasure. Whether it be a child, a wife, husband, friends, money, a job, anything. 

Archived