[Guide] TF2 Trading Etiquette

Hatch Rawer Beryl

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont know if this was covered but:

DON'T be a douchebag and play dumb if the person you are trading with keeps mistaking an item you own for something more valuable in the hopes that he is dumb all the way through clicking accept trade.  Be honest.  Tell the person "wait, no it's not a strange though".  

yes this just happened to me.  yes i made a steam thread about it.  yes every single response was idiotic or trolling me. lolz.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/440/discussions/0/864977026057678789/

I once had a guy trade me because he like my power surge executioner. He offered me like 5 keys and i am like the hats worth 15 buds. He says "ur hat doesnt have a price on backpacktf to your a scamme"

Those people on tf2 really get me a bit mad :D

Yeah some things are a bit overexaggareted. Some points should be rewritten and their should be an exra section with "not so annoying or situational" things.

I'll see what I can do.

He said wait a few mins so it is within the day. If its weeks they will say can you hold it for this long. Not wait a few mins. I have to say wait a few mins at times because food. Or have to do something with the dog

Well, it's ok if they actually get the keys within a few moments, but it's really annoying if you have tiw ait several weeks..

Do Be ready to trade when you add the person. I get people all the time who say "Hi. I'd like to buy X item, but I don't have the keys yet. Wait a few minutes." That's annoying. 

But those guys are always the ones who pay in pure for unusuals!! My favorite words. 

Reworded it.

Yeah some things are a bit overexaggareted. Some points should be rewritten and their should be an exra section with "not so annoying or situational" things.

Mmkay, I re-worded a lot of the points to be less personal and less over-exaggerated. Also, I opted for organizing by order of importance; higher points being more important, lower points being less important.

Do Not expect anyone who Does Not know any of this already to read this.

No One visits the damn forums. Your normal shit trader Will Never find this thread.

Yes, there are many annoying traders out there.

Sorry to rush you but I didn't have enough time to read your notes so I've added you for this trade. Hurry up and accept my friend request! I have a Stormy Storm Buccaneer's Bicornce that is worth 2.5. Please buy it, please? It's almost worth all of your hats so is a good offer. I see a lot of Demoman hours on your Steam profile so I know that this is an interesting deal to you. Just image something that's easily the same as 2.5 pure buds! So yeah, I added you to give you this great offer. I'm after everything in your set of unusuals here http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/13849298. I've got to go right now so be sure to hold them for me. Come and and add me for a fast trade. Would you prefer to add me and see it in the trade so that it'll be easier and involve fewers mouse clicks when you accept later? If you want then I'll paint it for you but you'll have to also provide a replacement paint can for me to make it fair. This is also a pretty good deal for you because it's not like anyone's offering anything like eighty percent of your buy-out price already for anything so at least this is a high offer. I've made this offer to other people too and some are about to take it so you better hurry up. I also want some other stuff from you so add me for that too and let's trade. I could also offer you----

Crap! Just two to go but I can't finish it! :P

Sorry to rush you but I didn't have enough time to read your notes so I've added you for this trade. Hurry up and accept my friend request! I have a Stormy Storm Buccaneer's Bicornce that is worth 2.5. Please buy it, please? It's almost worth all of your hats so is a good offer. I see a lot of Demoman hours on your Steam profile so I know that this is an interesting deal to you. Just image something that's easily the same as 2.5 pure buds! So yeah, I added you to give you this great offer. I'm after everything in your set of unusuals here http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/13849298. I've got to go right now so be sure to hold them for me. Come and and add me for a fast trade. Would you prefer to add me and see it in the trade so that it'll be easier and involve fewers mouse clicks when you accept later? If you want then I'll paint it for you but you'll have to also provide a replacement paint can for me to make it fair. This is also a pretty good deal for you because it's not like anyone's offering anything like eighty percent of your buy-out price already for anything so at least this is a high offer. I've made this offer to other people too and some are about to take it so you better hurry up. I also want some other stuff from you so add me for that too and let's trade. I could also offer you----

Crap! Just two to go but I can't finish it! :P

4VhfwLF.jpg?1

Another one that needs to be added: Do not assume that when an item is painted, you can get the item + the paint back. It's not right to charge someone a usable paint can + an item for the same item when it's already painted. That always irritates me.

Another one that needs to be added: Do not assume that when an item is painted, you can get the item + the paint back. It's not right to charge someone a usable paint can + an item for the same item when it's already painted. That always irritates me.

Bills used to be the only exception to this.

That sounds a bit too specific for this list. I'm trying to only include things that might happen on a regular basis.

Do: Be ready to trade when you add someone.  (I've gone through too many folks who add me, I accept immediately and message them, and they respond with, "One sec," or don't respond at all for five minutes.)

Do: Be ready to trade when you add someone.  (I've gone through too many folks who add me, I accept immediately and message them, and they respond with, "One sec," or don't respond at all for five minutes.)

Well, it does often happen that they get involved with another trade, which is perfectly fine, just come back when you're done.

Do Overpay in items by a good amount. The amount you should overpay depends on the value of the item. If it's an item worth a reclaimed, then a couple scrap overpay should be okay. If it's an item worth a key, then you would probably need to overpay by a couple refined. The seller will tell you if he wants you to overpay by more.

Do Not Assume that people want your items. For example, I get people all the time who add me expecting to be able to trade an item of equal value for my item. The reason I frown on it is because if I actually went through with the trade, I would be trading an item I don't want for an item I don't want. All that would happen then is I would have to remake my trade.

Do Not Assume that an item of yours can replace pure currency in a trade. For instance, if you wanted to buy a 2 refined item of mine, you would either have to pay 2 refined for it, or overpay in items. You couldn't pay with 1 refined + an item worth 1 refined.

Point 1 and 3 can be merged together somehow.

Do Assume most use the rule of first come first serve. I've had people add me and ask if I could reserve an item for them until tomorrow or something like that. Most traders won't reserve items unless it's for a friend. If a trader must choose between reserving the item for someone he doesn't know, or selling it immediately to another person he doesn't know who's ready, you can bet he'll sell it to the person who's ready.

Reword it and shorten it. Also add that the reason for the common use of first come first serve is, that many people tend to retract their offer so reserving it for them is just a waste of time.

Do Not Put useless information in your trade notes. For example, "Add me for fast trade." That's useless information, and it can't always be true, because sometimes you're offline.

Move this down.

Do Not Insist on showing the items you're offering in the trade window. There are two reasons for this. 1. Because you can only trade with one person at a time, so it hogs the slot. 2. Because there are no notifications for chat in the trade window, you have to keep checking back. Which is annoying because the trade window is so large. Meanwhile, the chat window is small and has notifications, so the trader may continue to do whatever he was doing while you offer.

And if they want to use bp.tf calculator? Move this down.

Do Cancel friend requests once you've already got what you want. It's very annoying to accept a friend request only to find out they already got what they wanted.

Do Say what you want before inviting the person to trade.

Do tell traders when you've retracted your offers. For instance, if you offered the same bud on 3 different unusuals, and you bought one of them, you need to tell the other two hat owners that you've retracted your offer.

Do Be specific. Saying something like "Hi, i'd like to buy your medic misc" is not helpful to the seller. Say something like "Hi. I'd like to buy your orange Physician's Procedure Mask."

Move this things up a bit, especially the first part.

Point 1 and 3 can be merged together somehow.

Reword it and shorten it. Also add that the reason for the common use of first come first serve is, that many people tend to retract their offer so reserving it for them is just a waste of time.

Move this down.

And if they want to use bp.tf calculator? Move this down.

Move this things up a bit, especially the first part.

Done, done, done, done, and done. Also, I reworded another one.

Forum specific, 

Do check the date when it was posted, and when it was last bumped. Getting added by people who want to buy keys for $1.35 off a 1+ year old thread is just fucking annoying.

Hmm. Thinking of re-naming the guide. I don't want it so seem like an insult whenever it's linked to people. Anyone got an idea?

Forum specific, 

Do check the date when it was posted, and when it was last bumped. Getting added by people who want to buy keys for $1.35 off a 1+ year old thread is just fucking annoying.

I think I could add that

Not sure if this was established but.... Do not use all caps.

Hmm. That actually doesn't seem to happen that much. Not sure if I would add that.

Archived