Is it bad that my parents love each other more than their kid?

TheVenomWithin

Basically the title. Today I pissed my mom off and my Dad said something about how he loves me but his wife takes way higher priority or something similar. This confused me because I always thought he loved me more.

My question is, should you love your spouce and kids the same, your spouce more,or less?

Discuss

Today I pissed my mom off and he said something about how he loves me but his wife takes way higher priority or something similar. 

wat.

anyway, i honestly don't know. I guess it should be somewhat equal, but that is just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure my parents loved me more than each other, but that isn't how I think it should be.

Honestly, I can't imagine ever loving a child more than the woman who had the child with me, but I'm not the best person to be asking about this. 

wat.

anyway, i honestly don't know. I guess it should be somewhat equal, but that is just my opinion.

Fixed.

keep the comments on topic, thanks.

Well if you two don't get along. It would make sense for her to not appreciate you as much as your dad.

Not sure how that's off-topic but I probably shouldn't have put caps

Well if you two don't get along. It would make sense for her to not appreciate you as much as your dad.

Not sure how that's off-topic but I probably shouldn't have put caps

Oh maybe you misunderstood me. My dad said he appreciated my mom more than me, not that my mom appreciated my dad more than me. Ex my relationship with her isn't the point.

Just speaking on ethical terms, when you have a child, it must take priority over any other relationship.  The reason I say this is because that child has to depend on you for food, shelter, and protection (both physical and legal) and its mental development.  Over the years, these things do begin to taper off until the child is fully independent.  During the end of that transition is the only time that I think other relationships can being to take priority.  This is the situation you're in as a parent.  Nobody can relieve you of that burden.  Only time can.  If you place other relationships first, you're doing so at the risk of the long term well-being of your child.

Now when it comes to who you like more?  That's different.  You can place more importance on your child and yet still like someone else more.  They're not mutually exclusive.  This might be what your dad was trying to say.  He just likes your mother more than you.  It's personal preference.  I personally wouldn't go out of my way to tell my child something like that because I think it has the potential to mess with someone's head, but then again I do believe in being honest almost to a fault when you're dealing with children.

You're a product of their love, as long as they provide for you, care for you and ensure that you are adequately grown up to be able to take care of yourself you dont have the right to complain.

They gave you life, they sacrificed so much more for you that you dont even know what sacrifice is. If your father loves your mother more than you so be it who cares? Unless he said he doesnt love you and hated you then you have a problem.

It's not normal actually. It should be more towards equal, as Bacon said. I wouldn't know though, this isn't familiar with me, this is just my take. I know my mom loves me more than my dad because of what he's done to her and I know my dad has a strong dislike (I would say hate) for me and my mother, judging by his attitude towards me (it's a really bad situation, I've told you before).

Well my parents obviously love me more because they're getting divorced kek

You must be really depressed if your trying to make it seem funny

You must be really depressed if your trying to make it seem funny

Well i try to make everything funny, I'm just that guy ;-;

Its a different kind of love.  Kids need guidance, acceptance and assistance.  Your wife is the person you can go to for sex, emotional intimacy and companionship.  As a parent, you need to convince your kids you love them the most even when its not true.  Kids are a freakin drain for a good portion of their life.  All they want is to take take take.  I'm sure your mom actually contributes while you guys constantly ask for x,y and z then bitch about not having $.  

You'd generally love the person you knew longer more tbh

but in all fairness, at least he's honest

But it should be even though.

MAYBE GET IN LESS FIGHTS WITH YOUR MOTHER!

^This

Whenever my dad says something similar, it means you better treat mom with respect or you're gona get it.

Just speaking on ethical terms, when you have a child, it must take priority over any other relationship.

Depends how you treat them. Be really nice to them, don't get on fights with them and don't argue could help have a better relationship with your parents

Stress or not, parents prioritize children same length as themselves and their child all together.

Lack of affection leads a lot of mental and physical emotions a child felt like if he or she is never meant to be there in the first place. 

My niece, mind you she's about to be in her 12's, has committed suicide not too long ago because her mother was too desperate for her husband's love, she neglected her child with countless of argument how her daughter is worth 'nothing' to the family.

So with my personal (professional opinion) is to love all equally and not treat other higher. 

Archived