Scamming a Scammer?

Mike Hawk

So I had a thought recently and was wondering what exactly would happen. So I'll explain this as simply as I can.

3 people selling a collective ~150 keys @ $1.8 ea to someone.

"someone" instantly dumps those 150 keys to a a quick buyer @ $1.6 ea

"someone" charges back the 3 sellers, and gains a profit of $240 instantly. 

So what would happen if the quick buyer charged back the scammer, and decided to give the keys back to the sellers? Or didn't, and kept them for himself. This would result in the scammer gaining no profit, and possibly losing some (if he somehow bought keys at $1.6 and sold at $1.7 for profit) Overall this would probably teach the scammer a lesson, and make them less inclined to do it. 

Could the scammer get the quick buyer marked for paypal chargeback?

scamming anyone gets you marked, I guess the same way as "normal" scam trades/chargebacks/such?

But if the quick buyer returns the keys, is he really scamming so much as punishing someone and helping the community? 

But if the quick buyer returns the keys, is he really scamming so much as punishing someone and helping the community? 

SR logic: yes

In this case, I doubt the scammer is going to report anyone, and the 3 people that were scammed would present evidence to get him marked, but provide counter if the scammer decides to report the chargeback

Two wrongs don't make a right.

If he reports you to steamrep you'll get marked. I've asked this to steamrep a year ago or so. I could technically 'scam' an unusual and could have been able to return it to the rightful owner but they said I would get marked if I did so. This didn't seem rational to me, but who am I to question the almighty steamrep?

They do if one wrong is different than the other wrong

If the quickbuyer gives back the keys, he isn't gaining anything

If he reports you to steamrep you'll get marked. I've asked this to steamrep a year ago or so. I could technically 'scam' an unusual and could have been able to return it to the rightful owner but they said I would get marked if I did so. This didn't seem rational to me, but who am I to question the almighty steamrep?

They do if one wrong is different than the other wrong

If the quickbuyer gives back the keys, he isn't gaining anything

I agree with you, but steamrep doesn't  ;)

Or at least not when I asked them..

I agree with you, but steamrep doesn't  ;)

Or at least not when I asked them..

The thing is, who the hell is gonna report you for scamming a scammer? The scammer? Doubt it. The person who gets his item back? That'd be a total dick move.

So I had a thought recently and was wondering what exactly would happen. So I'll explain this as simply as I can.

3 people selling a collective ~150 keys @ $1.8 ea to someone.

"someone" instantly dumps those 150 keys to a a quick buyer @ $1.6 ea

"someone" charges back the 3 sellers, and gains a profit of $240 instantly. 

So what would happen if the quick buyer charged back the scammer, and decided to give the keys back to the sellers? Or didn't, and kept them for himself. This would result in the scammer gaining no profit, and possibly losing some (if he somehow bought keys at $1.6 and sold at $1.7 for profit) Overall this would probably teach the scammer a lesson, and make them less inclined to do it. 

Could the scammer get the quick buyer marked for paypal chargeback?

I'd say that guy that scammed the scammer and gave back the keys to the scammed guy would be amazing, and id give him a high five (in game, in real life, and the actual taunt)

but hed probably get in trouble ;__;

SR just doesn't want to deal with having to correctly identify scammers. Vigilante justice is hard to regulate and what is to stop the quick buyer from keeping all the keys or trying to negotiate to keep a few. All in all SR would deem it the sellers job to contact Paypal and resolve the dispute.

On a side note, scammers have been known to use fraudulent bank accounts to buy the keys then sell them for money on a more personal account. Once the keys are moved it becomes significantly harder to track them down and would be very hard to find the original scammers. Realize that in this case the chargeback is legitimate. Someone had their info stollen and illegitimate purchases were made, making the whole situation a bit of a headache. In an ideal world, Valve would have their own chargeback system for items... but we all know how efficient that would be.

Archived