RIP the currency

HarryG

So since a lot of people, myself included, have noticed that buds are not what they used to be, I've had a thought. Everyone thought the world was saved when buds went up from 8 keys and keys went down near christmas. They didn't seem to notice that it was because people were buying a lot of the christmas keys and that was why. However, Everyone and their uncle's backpack value is going down because of the things they own that are priced in buds. For example, i bought a Burning Flames Conquistador for 70 keys, which is what it was worth a week ago when buds were 10 keys. Now it is worth 56 keys because of buds being 8 keys. I assume i am not the only one upset about that as that sale was in PURE KEYS, not buds. Therefore I am suggesting the switch from buds to keys as a currency (temporarily at the least) in order to make sure that the bp value of the larger portion of the community does not suffer this same fate. Another alternative would be to prioritize the resuggests of price that focus on key from bud transitions in unusual pricing. 

Thanks, 

HarryG

TL;DR 'I want unusuals priced in keys coz waa waa i bought mine for keys and buds brought the value down'

Yeah, there's plenty of threads on this already.

We need more than one sold of unusuals in keys to price them in keys unless it's the only valid sale. Which, in your instance, a BF Conquistador, i'm sure there are more than one sale. And people are also WIDELY using buds in unusual trading

2nd thread made.

this is the same of the save the econimy

its fine...

equality buds up keys down or the opposite

stop bitching about your bp value

Or you could just stop caring about your backpack value.

My life got simpler when I realized the bp.tf value is almost completely arbitrary.

Yea it's pretty sad people live and die on every single penny move of their backpack value. If that's truly your biggest concern on a daily or hourly basis you have serious issues. 

However I do agree that pricing in keys makes sense. Shift everything to keys, it honestly can't be that difficult to work backwards and convert back to how much in buds items would be worth for sales. Maybe in pricing suggestions that are converted to keys we need to list the buds sales and then add a side note of when they were sold what the current bud value was at the time. I honestly don't see this as a big issue, I mean how many people already as it is when looking up a price of a high tier item see the price in buds and then immediately look to see the conversion price in keys? Everybody does this, so just list in keys and get people to do it the other way around. Problem solved. 

Everyone and their uncle's backpack value is going down because of the things they own that are priced in buds. 

I don't, what now :P

You can't just convert all unusual to keys in one fell swoop, using buds at 8 keys, or whatever they currently are.  If the community prefers pricing in keys, then it will convert to keys as the primary means of selling for pure, so more and more prices will be listed in keys.  As buds drop they are becoming less and less representational of unusual prices anyway.  Once buds reach 6 keys, will you really sell a 5 bud hat for 30 keys?  I know I won't, I'd rather not sell at all in that case.  

As others have stated, bp.tf reflects the market, not sets the prices.

Also, does thf remind anyone of Halloween, when the keys were getting higher?

I'm with you OP, it makes a lot more sense to be pricing in keys over buds. Caring or not caring about backpack.tf values doesn't really matter it's about having a more accurate pricing system.

I'm with you OP, it makes a lot more sense to be pricing in keys over buds. Caring or not caring about backpack.tf values doesn't really matter it's about having a more accurate pricing system.

Again, sell your unusuals for keys and we'll price them in keys

Again, sell your unusuals for keys and we'll price them in keys

Do what you want I'm just stating what I feel makes the most sense for a more accurate pricing tool.

I'm not sure I see why people would have to sell their unusuals in keys for the unusuals to be priced in keys.

What's so difficult about just looking over at what the price of buds was equal to in keys at the time of the sale and using that?

I mean, if I bought a comic for a certain amount of money, and the value of the currency within my country were to drop,

it doesn't make sense for the value of the comic to drop with it. The value of the comic stays the same, while it takes more of the

currency to equal the value of the comic. This new value, which requires more currency to reach, is really the same price, because it's

the value of the currency which dropped, and not the comic.

Why should tf2 items be any different? It's fine for items to be priced in buds, but the prices should automatically change to

reflect the changes to the value of the currency used to price them.

I'm not sure I see why people would have to sell their unusuals in keys for the unusuals to be priced in keys.

What's so difficult about just looking over at what the price of buds was equal to in keys at the time of the sale and using that?

I mean, if I bought a comic for a certain amount of money, and the value of the currency within my country were to drop,

it doesn't make sense for the value of the comic to drop with it. The value of the comic stays the same, while it takes more of the

currency to equal the value of the comic. This new value, which requires more currency to reach, is really the same price, because it's

the value of the currency which dropped, and not the comic.

Why should tf2 items be any different? It's fine for items to be priced in buds, but the prices should automatically change to

reflect the changes to the value of the currency used to price them.

Point 1. This is a game

Point 2. Buds were widely used to trade and unusuals were sold for buds. You don't see items under 0.8 keys being priced in keys, do you?

The more buds go down, the more people will list their unusuals in keys, the more buds will go down, etc.

It is soon the end of the line for buds, what a historical period ! Maybe they will become some random craft hats for 1.33 ref or less ...  :)

Some mathematics to describe the situation 8-{

f(x) = -(x²)

Disclaimer : I am not responsible for any misuse or misinterpretation of the function above.

Point 1. This is a game

Point 2. Buds were widely used to trade and unusuals were sold for buds. You don't see items under 0.8 keys being priced in keys, do you?

First of all, I'm not sure where this being a game matters, seeing how we have an entire site dedicated to reflecting the prices of these items, digital or not.

The whole purpose of the site is to do this correctly, or at least as well as it can, and I don't see the point of the site if it has no intention of doing so.

Not really sure what you're getting at with your second point. I mean you're correct, yes, buds were used in unusual trades.

However, we've seen a decrease in the number of such cases, because of the plummeting price of buds, which is what this entire thread is about.

We see the majority of items valued at below 0.8 keys priced using refined as the currency because refined is for the most part stable. Refined isn't dropping at anywhere near the rate which buds are, so it's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

We just had a price suggestion pass for the Molten Mallard Hunter Heavy, which set it at 780 keys. I think this is a pretty good indicator of where

exactly this is all heading.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that everything 0.8 and up needs to be priced in keys now, though it's likely they eventually will have to be if this trend continues.

I'm trying to say that it's inaccurate to claim that the value of an item is lowered just because the currency which is used to evaluate its worth is.

Therefore, in the interest of keeping the prices on the site as up to date as possible, it would be a smart move to ensure that the prices assigned to items remain constant

unless otherwise changed due to a suggestion being accepted.

Archived