Bandwidth problem

thecityburns2day

Okay so full story is up until 5 months ago, I had two desktops plugged into my comcast (i think its 30 down/5up usually) router. It's the wireless router combo thing. My desktop took a shit (10~ years old, basically frankenstien) and only my father's was plugged in until saturday. My younger brother finally built his computer, and he completed it Saturday. Once it plugged into the internet, it basically shut off internet to all other devices that are hardwired. The wireless works a-okay, even with 3 phones and 2 tablets hooked up to it and in use .

At first I thought it was maybe the cable, but I plugged in a different one that's only like 1 foot (need a 20 ft cable to reach his room) and it was the same problem.

Both run win7 Professional, both have cat6 ethernet cables.

sorry it's everywhere, I'm not a good story teller either,

Does this only happen when he is on the computer?

If so, what does he do? (Watch Youtube/Stream videos?)

The only thing I can think of is that he is watching way too many videos and is just destroying the little bit of bandwidth you have.  Your cables a Gigabit certified so that wouldn't be the problem and you NIC card wouldn't really matter since you not paying for any high amount of bandwidth.  As a solution you can either throttle his bandwidth or if your Router supports it enable QoS and put gaming and such as top priority for network traffic.

Nope. If the ethernet cable is plugged into his computer and it's on, even if it's just sitting idle, it's a snail crawl on his pc and anything else hardwired can't even connect to the internet.

Nope. If the ethernet cable is plugged into his computer and it's on, even if it's just sitting idle, it's a snail crawl on his pc and anything else hardwired can't even connect to the internet.

Just unplug him

Look at his NIC card lights and see what kind of activity is going on.

In that case just unplug him

that doesn't solve the problem though. I'm on all day doing coursework (two online classes, 1 hybrid class) and he does whatever he does.

Do you have an alternative router you can use in place of your Comcast? For testing purposes only, of course.

At first glance, this seems like a limiting of the max concurrent users by your ISP, or a hidden max devices setting on your router.

Do you have an alternative router you can use in place of your Comcast? For testing purposes only, of course.

At first glance, this seems like a limiting of the max concurrent users by your ISP, or a hidden max devices setting on your router.

I don't but I'll look into that. I am trying to get rid of this comcast router since every comcast router is a free hotspot. Much more helpful than the people in other forums that say this isn't possible.

Archived