Please Help.

.Dusk

Today is the day that my unusual vanished.

I am completely lost...

i was going to trade away a hat that i hat obtained about 4 days ago. It was a terror watt ol geezer.

The buyer wanted proof that it wasnt duped (i wasnt sure if it was either)

so i traded it to my friend to show that it was in his inventory. He checked. it was there and we were going to move on, so i told my friend to give me the hat so we could trade.

My friend sent me the trade offer (the Hat in exchange for nothing) and thats when it happened. he went to confirm the e-mail, and the hat was nowhere to be seen.

i never got it, it wasnt in his inventory. The hat literally disappeared in the process of the trade.

Like i said. i know of duped hats, but i thought when you traded a duped hat it would disappear before coming to your inventory (like mine did), or disappear a few days later. but none of that happened when i first got the hat. i gave him keys, i got my hat. simple as that, it worked. so why did it disappear when my friend was giving it back to me.

It really sucks this happened to me. but im willing to look away from it and learn how to avoid this happening again.

If you think you know what happened, please tell me

and it would be nice if someone could tell me how to avoid it from happening again

Thank you.

-Warp, The Unusual-less player

Ahh... Old trick in the book..

You fell for the trusted friend scam, as it seems from reading this thread post

Try watching a few videos that explain some common scamming techniques and how you can avoid them.

Usually people will get the name of your friend and change their name to imitate them.

If anyone ever asks you to give your hat to a trusted friend to check if it's duped, just link them the bp.tf item history, which should show wether it is duped or not. If they refuse and insist that you trade it to a friend, remove and block them, and if possible take a few screenshots of the chat and use it in a steamrep report.

Never, ever, ever trade your unusual hat to anyone for free, even if you double check your "friend"'s profile to see if it really is him, there's always a chance they're working together.

Then again, I don't do unusual trading, so I'm probably wrong about this.

Yeah, big flag at "wanted proof it wasn't duped"

SteamRep report and so forth and if you have e-mails on Valve might give you your hat back

Middleman/Trade to trusted friend scam: The scammer will often express interest in an item(s) you have and offer to buy it. They will then proceed to give some form of excuse requiring you to trade your hat to a trusted friend before they will trade with you. If you comply they will ask who it is you have traded the hat to and proceed to add them with their friends list. Your friend who now holds your precious items will then receive an invite to a group chat between the scammer and another user who has impersonated your account asking for your hat to be returned hence acquiring your items.

The most common reasons to get you to trade away your item:

- Wanting to check if it's duped: Trading your hat to a friend doesnt allow someone to check if it's duped, to check if it is duped you need to look for previous backpacks, trading it to a friend does nothing.

- Trust issues: You are trying to sell if they actually have the intent to buy your item right now there would be no trust issues.

- Middleman: For straight up trades you dont middle man, middle man is mainly for money trades where you trade items to a respectable/trusted member of the community and they will only give your items to the buyer once you have confirmed they you have received the agreed amount to prevent people running away. There is no reason so middle man for straight up trades.

Read this guide: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/27624-guide-phishing-and-scamming-techniques/

Yeah, big flag at "wanted proof it wasn't duped"

SteamRep report and so forth and if you have e-mails on Valve might give you your hat back

Valve won't give it back. He traded it away and even though it wasn't to the person he thought he was trading it to he still did it. Valve will just cling on to it's "all trades are final" rule and ignore him

Valve won't give it back. He traded it away and even though it wasn't to the person he thought he was trading it to he still did it. Valve will just cling on to it's "all trades are final" rule and ignore him

Won't valve do anything to restore it if he has the email confirmations thingo? I'm not too sure anymore. 

Won't valve do anything to restore it if he has the email confirmations thingo? I'm not too sure anymore.

No he confirmed the trade via email. All the more reason not restore it (according to Valve)

Archived