Is low tier item trading even worth it anymore?

There

Hey all. I quit trading a while back but I'm trying to get back into it now.

My question is: is trading low value items (like 1-10 ref) even worth it anymore? 

I've set up some trades, buying items like the TC and other popular hats (and unpopular hats) for only .33 below the bp.tf recommended price and I haven't gotten any adds yet. I'm buying some popular stranges (2-3 ref) at .22 below the bp.tf recommended price and I haven't gotten any adds either. I've always been a terrible trader, but I don't think I'm doing much wrong here. Whenever I'm online, I use a timer to bump my trades every 31 minutes. I'm at my computer for a good 10-12 hours every day. I want to build my backpack up but it doesn't really seem feasible right now.

Is it even worth it? Should I just pour some normal money into my account and start unusual trading?

Not really. A rec is ~5 cents on a good day. I used to flip sharp dressers and paint a lot, but the rate at which you earn profit is too low to be worth it. You'd be better off finding change on the street instead of earning a nickel per trade

Not really. A rec is ~5 cents on a good day. I used to flip sharp dressers and paint a lot, but the rate at which you earn profit is too low to be worth it. You'd be better off finding change on the street instead of earning a nickel per trade

That really depends on what you flip. I probably earn ~1$ a day by flipping, I obviously use alot of time on it, but with backpack.tf automatic it's a bit easier, aswell as having premium on backpack.tf which means no bumping classifieds. Definetely worth the 3$ a month.

Best advice I can give is to flip taunts, paints are way too overdone, last time I flipped them was when I almost bought none, and thats when I still had premium on outpost.

I do transactions with low tier items only if I can make at least 1 ref profit, I can buy it for relatively small amout of ref to sell it for 1 key pure, or I buy in bulk. I wouldn't set a special trade just for quicksells like these, that's where trade.tf is good option, due to large amoun of small profit deals.

If quickbuying trades, I have always been setting trades when I could made at least 0.5 - 1 key profit off item I've been buying.

low tier trading: low risk, low earn

high tier trading: high risk, high earn

yes it is if you dont want to spend more money on the game or risking fucking up your profit

So is it basically impossible for me to build myself up? Ugh

When I was waiting to buy my keys I turned like 8 ref into 100

How I made it up to unusual trading was spycrabbing (Then I made it to 10 keys and stopped)

and Series 3 Chem sets when they came out Helped me out a shit ton, I think I made around ~1.5 buds off of it, only because I sold em right after made.

Just if I saved them till now XD

low tier trading: low risk, low earn

high tier trading: high risk, high earn

yes it is if you dont want to spend more money on the game or risking fucking up your profit

pretty much, if you can't sell, you will only lose a relatively small amount.

It's worth it if you know what you're doing.

Buy cheap hat/cosmetic strangifier chem sets that uses cheap stranges.

I've done it twice

used about ~3.66 ref to craft a strangifier for the outback intellectual, which I then sold for 9 ref, iirc

used like 1 ref for a blood banker strangifier, which I then used as a sweet for another trade.

I'm also currently hunting down a strange jag for a dark age defender strangifier chem set i bought a few days ago.

Also visit trade servers more often, you're more likely to find inexperienced people that won't be so picky about paying a couple extra scrap more than the bp.tf price for a hat.

That sig.....

Anyways, you might make a scrap or two from low tier trading. At least, that's my experience. It's kinda slow because everyone's competing for that one scrap profit

I'm with everyone else. It's all I do, jut because I have no patience for unusual trading, but it's not quick profit anymore like it used to be. It's hard to find people selling for bp nowdays much less for enough less that you can make a decent profit. With trade.tf, I used to be able to sit there for an hour and make 10 or more trades for stuff that could net a profit. Now, I'm lucky if I get 1 or 2.

Here's another question, I get the whole paint and parts thing, but why is it that people are willing to buy Halloween spells for outrageous amounts now but I can't get someone to buy an item with an exorcism spell for .11 more than the item itself.  Seems a bit ridiculous.  I've had Apoco Fists with Exorcism up for 3.11 for a few days now and nothing. I guarantee you that if I drop them to 3 ref, they would probably sell right away.

Also, that long time rule about items with paint being price + 1/2 for paint ought to be officially changed because it's next to impossible to get anyone to pay anything for paint, much less 1/2 of its worth.

Here's another question, I get the whole paint and parts thing, but why is it that people are willing to buy Halloween spells for outrageous amounts now but I can't get someone to buy an item with an exorcism spell for .11 more than the item itself.  Seems a bit ridiculous.  I've had Apoco Fists with Exorcism up for 3.11 for a few days now and nothing. I guarantee you that if I drop them to 3 ref, they would probably sell right away.

Also, that long time rule about items with paint being price + 1/2 for paint ought to be officially changed because it's next to impossible to get anyone to pay anything for paint, much less 1/2 of its worth.

Spells are so expensive due to rarity. They loose 80% of their value when applied, I think because people want certain spells on their special items, not just a random spell they may dislike. Item itself > spells.

Paints applied are close to 20-30% of their value now, just because there are so many of painted items and everybody have to compete with each other, making the price lower and lower. Its just so common for me to meet a noob trader shouting at me "This painted item is worth a key! Look Bp.tf", and when i say that there is exact same item for 10 ref he just freaks out. However, some new or rare items still can have 50% or more value added. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived