Does God want us to be happy?

Mike Hawk

So I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks. Atheists, Christians, or any other religion/ non religion. I read an article in one of my classes that I had to write a blog about (It's kinda lengthy, about 400 words) and I thought it was a pretty interesting topic. 

Here is the article: http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1015887,00.html

Here's my blog (Don't read if you don't wanna) 

Does God want us to be happy? From most of my personal experiences, it seems that God asks people to live in a very strict way, and that those people will be rewarded in Heaven after death. To me, this means that God wants people to ultimately be happy after death, but live under a set of rules that many people nowadays would consider boring.

When it comes to religion, I consider myself a Christian, yet I feel there are a lot of unanswered questions. God supposedly wants us to be happy, yet provides lessons and stories against things that most people end up finding what makes them happy. The most common example would be homosexuality. Leviticus 18:22 “ Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable†I remain mostly neutral on homosexuality. I’m somewhat against it, but I believe people should do what makes them happy, and by God saying that being homosexual is detestable he is saying that some people shouldn’t do what really makes them happy. Another example is worldly fortune. Many people would love the idea of having mass amount of value in the world to acquire whatever they desire while others would argue “Money can’t buy happiness.†God teaches against worldly value, claiming that after death, all your riches and valuables will be gone and you will be poor in heaven. Luke 12:21 “This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich towards God.â€

The majority of “Christians†follow the religion in order to find happiness and a sense of self value. Granted, most strong Christians who aren’t hypocrites are given this sense of happiness, and are typically some of the most optimistic people I’ve met in my life. Unfortunately, this is the minority of Christians. Most Christians ask God for more worldly gains and get upset when they receive none. People with strong relationships to God believe they receive what they deserve, and are typically satisfied with what they are given.

In conclusion, God does want us to be happy, but a different “happy†than what the world wants you to believe. God teaches to be happy with him and what we are given, while the world tells you to go for more worldly value and increase your net worth which God considers nothing.

tl;dr God wants us to be happy, but differently then what people in the world consider happy. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted · Hidden by OverduePixels, March 4, 2015 - Unnecessary posts.
Hidden by OverduePixels, March 4, 2015 - Unnecessary posts.

What is all this bullshit

Posted · Hidden by OverduePixels, March 4, 2015 - Unnecessary posts.
Hidden by OverduePixels, March 4, 2015 - Unnecessary posts.

Praise the Allah and you'll be happy ;)

Here's the thing however. In the Bible, which Christians believe is the one true Word written and breathed by God, it claims to give eternal salvation for anyone who believes in Jesus Christ and that he died for the world's sins. With this, the Bible is trying to say that Christians should be overjoyed and spread the news of what Jesus has done for them and help others feel the same way they are. God wants people to be happy, but asking God for material items and getting angry at him is not the way to live. It would be the equivalent of a child asking their parent for something and then getting disappointed when they do not receive it. Everything has a divine plan created by God that will fulfill its purpose in due time. While praying helps, it would and will not guarantee that you will get anything you want.

It also never says in the Bible that a Christian lifestyle will be an easy and happy one. Multiple times throughout it has it stated that Christians who believed in it were persecuted for their beliefs and mass murdered. While God would want people to be happy, he doesn't want people adopting the ideology that Christianity will be an easy ride. Many a time will Christians to this day still be persecuted and tortured/killed for their beliefs. The message that is presented in the Bible is what is keeping them from just dropping the Bible as a book and walking away from it however, as they believe their life is worth less than the message that Jesus has to bring to anyone who chooses to listen.

Remember that this is is written from a Christian worldview.

What if God doesn't care?

With the majority of the world being Christian, they'd probably all disagree with that. 

You capitalized the G in God. You have my respect.

In the context, God is a proper noun. 

-snip-

I kinda spoke about this in my blog. That's why I claimed the majority of Christian's happen to be hypocrites, and that the happiness God gives comes after life, and not during. I don't think a lot of Christians are aware of that.

If he is real, he's a dick.

Care to elaborate? 

Care to elaborate? 

He'll probably start spewing about how if God was real he wouldn't let us fight wars, letting there be diseases, people suffering, etc.

He'll probably start spewing about how if God was real he wouldn't let us fight wars, letting there be diseases, people suffering, etc.

Well the biggest counter argument I know of would probably be "God created man with free will, and man created evil."

Well the biggest counter argument I know of would probably be "God created man with free will, and man created evil."

If you want to take the Bible literally wasn't evil present at the Garden of Eden through the temptation of the serpent? If you take the Bible literally then wouldn't God have created that?

You capitalized the G in God. You have my respect.

Just about every time you post on these forums, you say exactly what I was thinking while scrolling down. Pretty neato >;D

2 great minds think alike i suppose

If you want to take the Bible literally wasn't evil present at the Garden of Eden through the temptation of the serpent? If you take the Bible literally then wouldn't God have created that?

Yes. The snake was there to tempt Eve who in turn tempted Adam. They ate from the tree of good and evil, just like in that jack black movie year one. Because of that, women suffering child birth, there are diseases and war and all that bad stuff.

Or if you look at it from Greek mythology, its also woman's fault for all the evils in the world(Pandora's box) , coincidence? I think not!

But yeah, I don't identify as Christian anymore, but as agnostic. 

The Holocaust & other events of mass-killing lead to believe that he does not give a shit if he's real.

I think of it as God's way of saying that earth was never meant to be like heaven. If you think about it, God doesn't see earth as a heaven. Heaven is heaven. And I don't think that we have the capacity to understand how great heaven is until we reach there. God is probably fully aware that this earth has bad stuff, but I think he has a much better place after earth, so much better that it will make the Holocaust and the other evils in the world seem like nothing. I know this is hard to understand, but God probably gives a lot of shit about us, it's just that he knows that when we go to heaven we'll understand how much better a place it is. Stuff on earth won't matter after that. 

I don't dabble in religion really, too much wasted time for me. You should decide if you want to be happy through your own actions

Do I think a god would care about the happiness of tiny insignificant specks in a non-distinct region of a seemingly endless expanse?  No.  Probably not.  Given what we've discovered about the universe thus far, if there is a god, then the idea that it would care so much about the trivialities of human affairs sounds hilariously absurd to me.  People just want to believe that this unfathomably large and hostile universe was made for them to live in.  Ridiculous.

I don't dabble in religion really, too much wasted time for me. You should decide if you want to be happy through your own actions

This.

Actually it says in the Bible that the path to heaven does not lie upon actions, but faith and dedication.

Yes, I believe that God does want us to be happy, both in this world and the next world. Rules are needed so that we know how to live properly, instead of just going around doing wrong things.

well your question is really a philosophical question.first you need to prove that god exists.because for him to care about stuff like that he has to exist.

if he does then he probably does not care that much you know 3rd world problems starvation.and pretty much the entire world been fucked up.does not help a lot with the god concept religious ppl want to go with.

Archived