Anti-Affirmative Action

MC22

For some school business, I want some good arguments for this side, as my teacher has asked to look at both sides of the issue (while shoving articles utterly biased toward affirmative action in my face)

As you know, I'm Asian with college coming up next year, so clearly teach and I are on opposite sides, but as a minor I have no rights to free speech in the class, so I gotta sound legit. Are there even legit points against affirmative action out there?

For some school business, I want some good arguments for this side, as my teacher has asked to look at both sides of the issue (while shoving articles utterly biased toward affirmative action in my face)

As you know, I'm Asian with college coming up next year, so clearly teach and I are on opposite sides, but as a minor I have no rights to free speech in the class, so I gotta sound legit. Are there even legit points against affirmative action out there?

As much as I enjoy bullshitting about various social issues, I'm not doing your homework for you.  I hope nobody else does either.  Do your own research.

Not homework m9. Clam down.

By your own admission, you were assigned the task of looking into both sides of a debate by your teacher, presumably to be discussed later in class at the very least.  The topic in question is actually something I personally am very interested in, and I do have my own arguments and views about it, but once again, I am not about to do your work for you.  You obviously just want people to simply hand over their arguments and supporting information to you.  That's basically what you've requested.  I'm not doing that, and I hope nobody else does either.

As much as I enjoy bullshitting about various social issues, I'm not doing your homework for you.  I hope nobody else does either.  Do your own research.

Help me with my homework topics are not unique. We don't have to make all of his homework but we could give a helping hand.

And I guess I can help because in my opinion affirmative action is stupid and racism/sexism. Yes in the past females and non-whites have been discriminated against and of course I think this is bad. But you can't go about justifying it by discriminating the other way around. Now maybe if there were two applicants who had completely equal qualifications and one was a white male and the other wasn't I could just justify deliberately choosing the other. I'm still not for it but I can see the point.

However here in the Netherlands we have all kind of quota regarding how many men and how many non-whites must work at each company. This leads to less qualified people getting jobs because even though they're less qualified and thus will make the company less money they save money because they won't get fined for not hiring immigrants or women.

Furthermore in my opinion it promotes racism and prevents integration. Instead of identifying yourself as an American it's way more useful to identify yourself as a native American or black person or whatever other minority just because you have a better chance at a job. This means that the people will never really integrate because it's better for them not to.

Just for some background, I am 1 of 2 white boys in my senior class of around 400+. There have been plenty of cases where I have missed out on massive scholarships and opportunities because I am not a minority. There is an impression at my high school that if you perform at the highest standards, you can go to college wherever you want for free. This simply isn't the case for me. That said, I firmly believe in affirmative action.

The fact is, affirmative action is supposed to be about culture. Cultures that have been historically oppressed have had it ingrained in them that they do not have the same opportunities as everyone else. Imagine having nobody in your family with a college degree. Everyone around you has given up hope of a successful future. The reason people join gangs is because nobody else is going to look out for them, and they don't think they're going to have a chance at life anyways. To understand affirmative action you need to realize the privilege that people get from being white. There are plenty of exceptions, don't get me wrong, but in general white culture is built around the idea that you can do whatever you put your mind to. The only way to give some minority cultures hope is to support their youth in growing up successful and sharing that with their communities and families. Imagine how inspiring it would be to have a sibling who was the first in your family to move out of your neighborhood to make a successful career. Successful people moving out of bad neighborhoods is a totally different problem, but in short, affirmative action is about giving minority groups hope. If everyone doesn't have the same chances growing up, why shouldn't colleges realize that and try to support them to be the best they can for the community.

Got to go, but i'd love to discuss it some more. Mc22, you would probably get less hate if you provided your own opinion to open up the discussion a bit. I'd like to see what you have to say.

Archived