Revolutionary War Discussion

ValleyForge x Aika <3

What was your favorite part of the Revolutionary war?

What are your quarrels with it?

and so on....just express your opinions on it!

I personally loved the training camp of Valley Forge, It was a hard struggle as resources where limited but they made it through and trained well.....

Civil War > Revolutionary war

Simply the concept of the American revolution is appealing. Almost all other revolutions ended up in a worse position afterwards. The American revolution was one of the very few that both succeeded in the short and the long term. The founding father's beliefs also match extremely closely with mine

Civil War > Revolutionary war

Simply the concept of the American revolution is appealing. Almost all other revolutions ended up in a worse position afterwards. The American revolution was one of the very few that both succeeded in the short and the long term. The founding father's beliefs also match extremely closely with mine

Haven't learned about the Civil War yet but I will look up on that......What are your beliefs exactly that match so closely with theirs?

Haven't learned about the Civil War yet but I will look up on that......What are your beliefs exactly that match so closely with theirs?

Libertarian, let the individual do what they want. Small and stratified government. Guns and free speech and mah freedumz. Also, not a founding father but Adam Smith is my home dog

Libertarian, let the individual do what they want. Small and stratified government. Guns and free speech and mah freedumz. Also, not a founding father but Adam Smith is my home dog

I 100% agree with that...Can't wait to learn about it....

The founders are rolling in their graves over Obama's "muh *FREE* healthcare". 

I like the part when we defeated those commie bastards, and then proceeds to roll blunts out of British flags. at least that what i was taught in South.

I like the part when we defeated those commie bastards, and then proceeds to roll blunts out of British flags. at least that what i was taught in South.

>Mfw its obama

You can thank the French for your indpendence - this is what happens when they're no longer able to offer support. They might have only done it because they wanted to remove the British from America, but they effectively bankrolled the entire Continental Army.

You can thank the French for your indpendence - this is what happens when they're no longer able to offer support. They might have only done it because they wanted to remove the British from America, but they effectively bankrolled the entire Continental Army.

Absolutely agree. If the French had not helped out, then America can would have lost. Same reason also paid a large part in the American Civil War. The Confederacy could not get recognition in Europe, and without their support, they failed

The French and Dutch are the only reasons US got independent (yeah we used to be important).

And it was a very small scale war the Brits only really gave up for financial/economical reasons. It was probably a big mistake in hindsight but if they could be arsed and weren't so busy with the Dutch and French they could have easily won it. The military might of the revolutionaries was mimimal

Inb4 other countries saying they're the reason U.S. got freedom and-

Oh, wait, no, already here

Tea is best served in a cup, not thrown off a boat. Militiamen are not trained soldiers, but ordinary working men inspired by revolutionary zeal - their only advantage is morale. Give them a navy and some heavy cannon and this changes.

Tea is best served in a cup, not thrown off a boat. Militiamen are not trained soldiers, but ordinary working men inspired by revolutionary zeal - their only advantage is morale. Give them a navy and some heavy cannon and this changes.

Another Civil War example :P

The CSA had great morale (mainly due to 'great' generals and a hatred for the federals) even with horrid supplies, inferior heavy guns, and less experience soldiers. They also had to build essentially an entire navy from scratch. The Federal Army had comparatively shit morale, with generals that pissed them off and a war, many thought, wasnt worth fighting. As we know, the superior guns, tactics, and navy won the war compared to the great morale of the south. The revolutionaries were essentially the Confederates, just with economic and military backing from Europe

• 3 weeks later...

It was actually a lot more complex than that. I quickly drew up a chart:

Advantages (America)

- Knowledge of the Land (Home Field Advantage)

- Purpose for Fighting (One of the three key things in wartime a country, leader etc. must do is sell a war)

- Could win or tie, British had to have a unconditional surrender

- Guerrilla Warfare

- French+Dutch financing and naval support

- Britain only sent over crap generals at first because they didn't consider it that big of a deal

- Strokes of Luck: Finding a note with a battle plan, the British screw-up at Saratoga

Inbetween

- Morale (Really depended on the circumstances)

- Military Tactics (Until famous French generals started helping with the training- Valley Forge is the best example, they were kinda bad at fighting. Afterwards, we had bayonets and army smarts)

Disadvantage

- Navy was non-existent

- Manpower

- Weaponry

Archived