Do you prefer to own unusuals or specific weapon variants?

SilverSpeed

It's been a while since I made an arguably pointless thread here.

So I was sitting here in my usual spot when I began to wonder in a general sense if people prefer to have specific weapon variants (Festives, australiums, botkillers etc.) or do they prefer to have the unusuals that they want to keep.

Obviously the last little bit had "Want to keep." at the end so this isn't a question with an emphasis on buying and reselling for profit but just for usage in the game. (If you play.) 

Personally I'd rather have all the weapon variants that I want over the unusuals I desire and the reason for that really just comes down to how I greatly enjoy seeing tracked kill counts and I think festives and australiums for the most part are much prettier.

Plus I find it satisfying to completely destroy people with expensive looking unusuals while I just have my stranges.

But enough about me and my terrible reasons, where does your preference lie?

Do you prefer to own and keep the unusuals that you want or would you sooner go after weapon variants?

Unusuals

Everyone can have a strange

thousands of people can have austriliams

tens of people can have a golden pan

but sometimes only a few people can have a truly unique unusual

And I play with viewmodels off so...

Stranges because I'm poor and can't afford unusuals because I find it more satisfying to track kills and show that you are making progress

unusuals.

i prefer weapon variants, because you can't see the unusual you're wearing but you CAN see your golden killstreak pan

Adv. Options - HUD Options - Use Player Model in Player Class HUD

now you can see the unusual you're wearing

Unusuals because they won't lag me more unless I am taunting (which I don't do that often).

Festives obviously add more lag & are more distracting, australiums are cool but the shading kinda hurts fps for me as well.

I personally prefer weapon variants (especially Australium :D)... some Unusual effects make your "taller" (a <prop> you could hide behind before, will now have your stormcloud or w/e slightly above it) and give away your position.  I'm not a big fan of Festives though... the blinking lights can be distracting sometimes.

Also they make you stand out more & appear more of a threat, so people might focus on you more... I'm the type of guy that would use a gibus and then pwn ppl when they underestimate me :P

-snip-

Looking good > Playing good.

Unusuals, specifically Ushankas, show me a weapon that < 10 people can have.

I own almost 300 festives.

Looking good > Playing good.

Unusuals, specifically Ushankas, show me a weapon that < 10 people can have.

I own almost 300 festives.

Sorry. I dunno about you but I like showing up in an entire vintage level 52 pro ks set

For my main class soldier, i really like the australium rocket launcher, but because its so expensive now, i can get unusuals that i like more for the same price.

I have a set of Stranges I already like for each class, same with hats and cosmetics. Even though I try to keep a strange/genuine/vintage copy of each weapon and all,  anything else I just sell. They are just pixels, after all. Unusuals and stuff are all just bought for profit. I don't think I plan on keeping anything I buy from here on out unless I get something I really like and can afford to keep :P

Unusuals because they won't lag me more unless I am taunting (which I don't do that often).

Festives obviously add more lag & are more distracting, australiums are cool but the shading kinda hurts fps for me as well.

Is your computer a potato?

As far as answering the OP's question, I enjoy having stranges for all my most used weapons, but they're typically worth less than a couple keys and are no where near as satisfying to collect and own as unusuals are. 

Unusuals

Everyone can have a strange

thousands of people can have austriliams

tens of people can have a golden pan

but sometimes only a few people can have a truly unique unusual

And I play with viewmodels off so...

^ This

I could own an aussie RL worth 4.3 buds and if I play pubs for a couple of hours, I'll most likely run into someone else with an Aussie RL.  Running into someone with the same unusual as you (even if it's a 2nd gen with 50 in existence) on the other hand has never happened.  

Unusuals are cool but having a flashy "TAKING FREE HEADSHOTS RIGHT HERE" sign isn't good. Became a reason why did i sell my first decent meem unusual.

Specific wep variants? hm...

Medigun - No, gifted by my first pub-stomp mate is better.

Crossbow - Same as above

Blut? Stopped using it since my first ten played lobbies.

Ubersaw? Normal > Festive.

Kritz? I don't like the idea of throwing away 30 keys for an assist counter.

tl;dr - Nothing > Unusuals

Strange festive first then unusuals.

I actually care for stranges as they track my kills (I don't farm and I find people that farm rather weird), unusuals don't track anything and to have one or another is irrelevant.

Archived