Theory: Frequency of offers

Gren

I noticed something today:  

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/24857495#latest

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/24857488

- Exact same hat

- Both clean, similar length of history  

- Up for the exact same amount of time (18 hours)  

The only difference is I'm OP premium and he isn't.  That, and he received 4 offers while I only received 1.  

So one possible conclusion here is that you actually get less offers for unusuals with OP premium.  Maybe it's because traders automatically assume that they won't be able to get any sort of a fair trade with you since you're rich enough to afford premium (TF2 logic) and are thus more likely to be a dick.  I don't know, I'm not saying this is true, but here we have a case where all conditions are practically the same, and one trade got 4 offers while the other on autobumb got 1.  That's enough of a difference to at least raise some curiosity.  Thoughts?  

PS:  Yes, I used to own the other hat too.  Seems like they were on special last week or something.  

IMaybe it's because traders automatically assume that they won't be able to get any sort of a fair trade with you since you're rich enough to afford premium (TF2 logic) and are thus more likely to be a dick. 

They're not wrong, most premium users are profit whores. (I was one too)

Or maybe they just think they can lowball non-premium users and have more success? 

• Administrators

PS:  Yes, I used to own the other hat too.  Seems like they were on special last week or something.  

Question exactly like this has been asked before.  :P

Premium does not give you any advantage of getting more offers. The main benefit of having premium is, you don't have to bump your trades manually.

To add to this, many users also tend to avoid premium users because they aren't online more than half of the time. I have seen many people complain about this. 

They're not wrong, most premium users are profit whores. (I was one too)

Or maybe they just think they can lowball non-premium users and have more success? 

I think both of those statements are true to some extent.  At least it's probably fair to say that you can safely assume that someone with premium is very likely to know his way around trading whereas someone without premium might not. 

To add to this, many users also tend to avoid premium users because they aren't online more than half of the time. I have seen many people complain about this.

I actually do that when I need to buy some paint or some other low value item.  I know that if the non-premium trade has been bumped in the last 30 minutes, the trader is probably online ready to trade.  No such guarantee with a premium account.  

I'd offer on a non premium person that has recently bumped over a non. This is because you are far more likely to get a faster response. Or, it could just be luck. They see the trade when it was bumped and don't bother with you.

Edit: the other users trade looks far more friendly and lists reasons why others Should purchase it

I never trust any green name when it comes to "quicksells", unless it is cleary a big one.

I also prefer to offer on non-premium user trades because they usually have a higher accept rate when it comes to hat for hat.

That being said, i almost never offer on other people's trade, because stuff you offer loses value.

When someone without premium bumps their trade, you know they're actually online.  I used to look for non-premium trades first.  I think there may even be a scrip that filters out premium users from the search results.

Half the time premium members arnt online or have been inactive for a while. When its bumped by a non-premium member you know they are online and is active.

I know when I need to buy keys I don't even bother looking at premium members

auto bumping is a pretty stupid 'feature' if you think about it.

if the seller isn't online there is little purpose to bumping their advert.

If the item for sale is rare or specific it hardly matters if the trade is bumped or not as a search will still show it.

If you're buying buds for 11 keys (who the fuck isn't) then getting bumped while not online does nothing except spam and make actual willing active traders harder to find.

-snip-

Yes, I've known this for quite a while and is one of main reasons why I don't go premium. People with a premium name are seen as hard core/for profit traders (otherwise why would they pay real money monthly for premium?)

and thus people (including other premiums themselves) don't even bother to offer because they know that premiums are more likely to want profit out of the trade. 

It's not only true in theory, this happens in practice. My friend who used to be premium permanently (until TF2OP decided to end the permanent premium) turned back into a non-premium user and saw no drop in the number

of offers and adds he gets from his trades. He's non-premium to this day. 

Premiums to regs = highballing dickbag

Regulars to premiums = offline f2p dumbasses

Regulars to regs = i can lowball

Premiums to Premiums = Don't trade

Archived