Stay away from GTX 970s

silencedotmid

In case you haven't been following the drama, people have found some pretty serious problems with Nvidia's GTX 970 graphics card. The card advertises 4GB of VRAM, but the last .5GB operates under much less bandwidth and lower priority, and any game that tries to use this last .5GB will most likely experience heavy stuttering and lower framerate.

In addition, Nvidia seemingly lied about a few other 970 specs as well. The 970 only has 56 render output units (ROPs), instead of the claimed 64, and its L2 cache is only 1.75MB instead of 2MB.

What can we take out of this? The 970 is a bit weaker then promised, and on above-1080 resolutions you might run into those serious bandwidth problems. I wouldn't buy one any time soon unless they iron out these problems, and if you're an owner of one be on the lookout for fixes or reimbursements. 

lol u need to upgrade

Soon. DirectX 10 is becoming outdated.

I couldn't even run CoD AW during free weekend cos it requires a DX11 compatible video card lol

I own GTX 280 since 2007, but since I'm slowly quitting PC gaming, I may not even need to upgrade anymore. Gonna get myself some decent ultrabook probably. That's all. Btw, does GTA V require a DX11 compatible card aswell?

I couldn't even run CoD AW during free weekend cos it requires a DX11 compatible video card lol

I own GTX 280 since 2007, but since I'm slowly quitting PC gaming, I may not even need to upgrade anymore. Gonna get myself some decent ultrabook probably. That's all. Btw, does GTA V require a DX11 compatible card aswell?

yeah

Why an ultrabook? Why not like an APU-based system even when you want to game...

yeah

Why an ultrabook? Why not like an APU-based system even when you want to game...

well, I'm just considering getting that game but not too seriously. Idk, I own an ultrabook already and I'm really happy with everything it can offer.

well, I'm just considering getting that game but not too seriously. Idk, I own an ultrabook already and I'm really happy with everything it can offer.

what processor

Just going to put this out there.....The only reason to stay away from 970s is on a moral level. 

The performance is still the same as it was when the benchmarks were originally posted and the 3.5gb of fast VRAM and 56 ROPs will NOT affect gaming performance whatsoever when you're at any sub-4k resolution -- and being that the 970 isn't a 4k card, it's not really an issue. 

So if you want to boycott Nvidia for ethical reasons, by all means go right ahead. But not buying a 970 for performance reasons is silly. 

970 is still a great card for anything up to 1440p, probably 4k.

Edit: eh, I think I managed to hit 3.5GB in Far Cry 4 with MSAA8.

Not so much 4k as even SLI 980s can't do 4k decently. 

As for FC4 hitting 3.5gb, something to understand is DirectX will loud info into the VRAM even if it's not needed by trying to predict what will be needed in an attempt to improve performance. So realistically, you're not using 3.5gb of VRAM, it just that, because you have it it stores extra stuff there. But that doesn't actually significantly improve performance but rather more of a marginal one. 

Not so much 4k as even SLI 980s can't do 4k decently. 

As for FC4 hitting 3.5gb, something to understand is DirectX will loud info into the VRAM even if it's not needed by trying to predict what will be needed in an attempt to improve performance. So realistically, you're not using 3.5gb of VRAM, it just that, because you have it it stores extra stuff there. But that doesn't actually significantly improve performance but rather more of a marginal one. 

I could not get over 3.5GB of VRAM. Maybe I just got very lucky, but it got up to 3500 MB several times, but never went over. 

lol all these people complaining about not being able to run cod at 4k with super ultra hd++ graphics and complaining about "stutters"

Meanwhile I'm here stuck with my GTX 650 which sucks major ass

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if anybody here owns a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970, Gigabyte is allowing you pay the difference in cost between the 970 and 980 and pick up a G1 980/non G1 980.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2utay8/gigabtye_offers_step_up_program_for_gtx_970_owners/

You can send them an email with relevant information and they will tell you the cost to upgrade.

Edit: Just sent my email in to support and forgot to mention which 980 model I was interested in. I'm so stupid.

Hey, if anybody here owns a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970, Gigabyte is allowing you pay the difference in cost between the 970 and 980 and pick up a G1 980/non G1 980.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/2utay8/gigabtye_offers_step_up_program_for_gtx_970_owners/

You can send them an email with relevant information and they will tell you the cost to upgrade.

Edit: Just sent my email in to support and forgot to mention which 980 model I was interested in. I'm so stupid.

980s still aren't really worthwhile. 

as the price/performance of 970s is far better. So unless you're intending to go 4k, 970s are still just fine. (and if you went with 970s for 4k, well then youre being stupid as they don't have the power to drive 4k at high enough settings). 

Archived