When Is Something A Quicksell?

Squidling

Now, let me get started by saying: I haven't just crawled out from under a sandvich. I know what it is to quicksell something, but I have recently been seeing people selling unusuals at prices within or even above the range on backpack.tf/the prices other sellers are going for and calling them quicksells. So, my question is: When is a quicksell really a quicksell? Because from what i've seen, some of those quicksells are unsold after a few months. I'm just looking for your suggestions and examples (I know every hat will be different) 

As a test, what would be a quicksell on my clean vivid plasma prussian pickelhaube? I would be interested to see your estimates 

Thanks again, and have a good day

Quicksell is just a missused word by the community

Quicksell is when you sell an item for cheaper than any others so you can sell it quickly

30% off market price might be a QS

Quicksell is just a missused word by the community

Quicksell is when you sell an item for cheaper than any others so you can sell it quickly

30% off market price might be a QS

Thanks, that seems like a sensible range. It annoys me to see the 'quicksells' for a key less than an out of date price

Highly depends on the item. For a 1st gen 20%+ off, everything else at least 30%+ usually if the price is accurate/recently updated.

Nice, thanks. 

Thanks, that seems like a sensible range. It annoys me to see the 'quicksells' for a key less than an out of date price

Not only you.

cough, aaronscn, cough.

It's pretty much like this: 

Say you want a new pair of sneakers, but they cost $100.   You think that's a bit pricey and you don't want them that bad.  You check out the store and see that they're 5% off, so $95.  "That's not a great deal", you think to yourself, and you don't buy the sneakers.  A week later you walk in and see the they're on for $65, so 35% off.  "Ok, that's pretty good, 65 bucks is a really good deal for these so I practically have to buy them!"  You buy the sneakers.  

One of the most over used words in the community. Very misused as well. Usually the item that's being quick sold will be sold for significantly lower than its usual value in order for the person to "sell the item quickly" as the name implies. This usually happens when the seller has a difficult item to sell and wants to get rid of it asap. Something being quick sold almost always means they want pure.

Most of us unusual traders dont like to use BP prices because 90% people voting on the unusuals do not have unusuals and from what I have seen most of the so called proof on the votes are vague at the best. So the prices will most likely be voted as long the price goes down because they want that item or want to be able to get that item more easily instead of working harder. But as soon as someone shows the same amount proof as the others of a price needing to go up all hell breaks loose. Im not saying that all are that way but most are.

I have been playing this game since it came out and trading for years. I worked hard to save up for what I got. I didnt go ripping people off or buying quicksells. I never even opened crates to get unusuals. I just litterally worked hard since I had the time while being home and fighting cancer. 

Not trying to be mean to anyone about. Thats just my view on the subject.

40 - 50% off

Nobody's getting 40-50% on 1st gens, or any other easy to sell effects.  The only thing you can pick up for a discount that massive are overpriced 3rd gens, new hats, or scammed hats.   

Most of us unusual traders dont like to use BP prices because 90% people voting on the unusuals do not have unusuals and from what I have seen most of the so called proof on the votes are vague at the best. So the prices will most likely be voted as long the price goes down because they want that item or want to be able to get that item more easily instead of working harder. But as soon as someone shows the same amount proof as the others of a price needing to go up all hell breaks loose. Im not saying that all are that way but most are.

That's not how it works at all.  First, votes are basically meaningless, precisely because of the point you mention (that's why key votes that try to re-suggest keys at 7 Ref with 5 million upvotes don't actually get accepted).  Second, the "so called" proof is evidence of past sales and it's heavily scrutinized and a lot of the time it's a pretty good indication of what the hat has sold for in the past.  

In my experience "I don't follow backpack prices"  usually translates to "I will overvalue my hat and undervalue yours".   I'm not saying backpack pricing is always accurate - it isn't.  Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't and it takes knowledge of the market to figure out when you can use it and when you can't.  

That's not how it works at all.  First, votes are basically meaningless, precisely because of the point you mention (that's why key votes that try to re-suggest keys at 7 Ref with 5 million upvotes don't actually get accepted).  Second, the "so called" proof is evidence of past sales and it's heavily scrutinized and a lot of the time it's a pretty good indication of what the hat has sold for in the past.  

In my experience "I don't follow backpack prices"  usually translates to "I will overvalue my hat and undervalue yours".   I'm not saying backpack pricing is always accurate - it isn't.  Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't and it takes knowledge of the market to figure out when you can use it and when you can't.  

Then why the fuck do we vote? Why don't we just get rid of the democracy aspect of this and just skip straight to the tyranny?

Then why the fuck do we vote? Why don't we just get rid of the democracy aspect of this and just skip straight to the tyranny?

The votes are there to help the mods.

If there is a suggestion up and a counter and one has 95% upvotes and the other 65 whilst they have the same quality of proof often the votes decide which one gets accepted

I never said anything about over valueing unusuals. I pretty much said backpack voters DEVALUE the unusual prices. Backpack.tf was never meant to be bible.tf. It is just a site for SUGGESTION prices. 

And using a sale over 3 months old is way to out of date for it to even be a useable price as proof. 

I never said anything about over valueing unusuals. I pretty much said backpack voters DEVALUE the unusual prices. Backpack.tf was never meant to be bible.tf. It is just a site for SUGGESTION prices. 

And using a sale over 3 months old is way to out of date for it to even be a useable price as proof. 

I said "In my experience" which doesn't include you (at least to my knowledge).   Maybe you're one of the good ones, I wouldn't know.  

It's not fair to say that the votes are usually for a decrease in price, there are plenty of hats that are voted to increase in price.  But it shouldn't come as a surprise that many hats are decreasing in price, the market is becoming more and more saturated with unusuals.  There's more supply, but the demand has stayed the same (and that's being optimistic).   So of course the average price of an unusual is decreasing, rather than increasing.   

3-month old sales:  yup, of course it's not accurate, that's why you can't base a suggestion on sales older than 2.  

Most of us unusual traders dont like to use BP prices

I pretty much said backpack voters DEVALUE the unusual prices.

A couple of comments. (1) For better or for worse, most unusual traders DO use BP prices. (2) As the number of unusual hats and unusual effects increases, the average value of hats is going to drop. Just one year ago, the total number of hat-effect combos in existence was closer to 8000-10000. Now that number is approaching 20000. The total number of people playing tf2 is roughly the same. Obvious the average unusual price is going to drop even if the total amount of money invested in hats increases slightly. People claiming the economy is "going to shit" are ignorant. The total amount of money invested in all unusuals continues to increase, but when there are so many more hat-effect combos, the average price is obviously going to drop. That's why MOST hats continue to drop in value. Only certain, rare hats go up in value. Most of these are either retired hats, misc, or first gen hats. Almost all other hats will continue to drop.

A couple of comments. (1) For better or for worse, most unusual traders DO use BP prices. 

Yea that was my fault for not being clearer. I meant higher tier unusual traders with more then 1 or 2 low tier unusuals in their BP.  But like I said in my earlier post that not all the prices are bad....there are just a bunch that were aproved with little to no proof and only posting a TF2outpost trade that has been closed is not proof to me. 

I dont know the exact amount of unusuals in the game but I am agreeing that the unusuals amount probably did double since last year. The key prices in game have become rediculous expsive if you have no choice but to buy in metal or items. Like a month ago keys were 17 refined so I could see most people saying screw it and just buying keys with real world money and are easy to get IF you just bought them out right instead of waiting to trade up for the metal. Also with people selling keys and items on them market for a bit cheaper helps.

Posted · Hidden by polar, February 1, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, February 1, 2015 - No reason given

A couple of comments. (1) For better or for worse, most unusual traders DO use BP prices. (2) As the number of unusual hats and unusual effects increases, the average value of hats is going to drop. Just one year ago, the total number of hat-effect combos in existence was closer to 8000-10000. Now that number is approaching 20000. The total number of people playing tf2 is roughly the same. Obvious the average unusual price is going to drop even if the total amount of money invested in hats increases slightly. People claiming the economy is "going to shit" are ignorant. The total amount of money invested in all unusuals continues to increase, but when there are so many more hat-effect combos, the average price is obviously going to drop. That's why MOST hats continue to drop in value. Only certain, rare hats go up in value. Most of these are either retired hats, misc, or first gen hats. Almost all other hats will continue to drop.

OMG POLAR IS AN ADMIN NOW :o

In any case, how did this thread devolve into one of those bible.tf threads? 

Archived