What happened to the SCM and game trading in general?

Hawko

Yoi can't trade items you bought on the SCM for a week

Games can't be traded for 30 days

Lots of region locking

Nooo way. 

Can you elaborate on the region locking?

Nooo way. 

Can you elaborate on the region locking?

Back then if you did you research, you could get a game for cheap from someone (usually Russian or Filipino) to save cash

Game suppliers had these contacts for so long but it's ruined now

GG wp no re

-Valve prices games in Russia ~50% less due to differences in relative income instead of direct currency conversion

-Entitled babies in first world countries think they deserve the same prices

-Valve says no

-"WOW VALVE SO FUCKED UP RIP GAME TRADING GREEDY ASSHOLES"

Or, how about this? Traders of games were taking advantage of good deals just like traders of anything on bp are taking advantage of good deals.  LOL  Doesn't make it any less of a money hungry move on Valve's part.  If you can't see that this benefits Valve, I'm not sure what else to tell you.  Trading cut down on outpost and most game purchasing done through Valve now. Pretty simple.

Or, how about this? Traders of games were taking advantage of good deals just like traders of anything on bp are taking advantage of good deals.  LOL  Doesn't make it any less of a money hungry move on Valve's part.  If you can't see that this benefits Valve, I'm not sure what else to tell you.  Trading cut down on outpost and most game purchasing done through Valve now. Pretty simple.

Well, it was cheating the buying system, so they were losing money. So of course they will fix something that is a problem for both the companies that sell the games, and them. It's more so a problem for the companies. Especially small ones that don't make much money already. There's a difference between finding good deals in a video game with free currency and abusing a system with real money. So if you had a way to sell things, and lets say someone would just come steal it when you weren't looking, and pay a small amount, would you just say "Eh, whatever, doesn't matter to me"? No, because that would be losing you money. And them losing a lot like this on such a big scale, since so many did it, of course they would fix it. That doesn't make them cheap, that's just them wanting to fix something that's broken so people don't lose so much money. Ok, end of essay now.

Well, i see your point, but frankly, a lot of people were buying games with currency that they got by proceeds from trading those same items that they got free in-game. Valve created the problem. They created a lot of problems with trading along the way and a lot of people just think it's crappy that they're changing the rules all of the sudden. Hard to blame them.  This is coming from a guy who has a lot of keys as well as Steam wallet funds, so it really isn't a huge issue to me. I just notice that Valve's discounts pretty much suck most of the time now, so a lot of people, because of this, are probably going to start using Amazon, Humble, etc. for their game buying. In my opinion, that's going to hurt Valve worse in the long run than the small losses they were taking on foreign game sales. Again, just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Well, i see your point, but frankly, a lot of people were buying games with currency that they got by proceeds from trading those same items that they got free in-game.

By that, I meant the people buying the copies in the first place. The only way they could have been bought was with money. But I see what you mean in the rest of this, it makes sense. But who knows, maybe it won't hurt them.

Game trading is still fine. You just have to know that you can trust the seller. He'll take your keys and gift you the game. I've bought 4 games since the update and nothing went wrong. (All with metal or keys earned in trade)

Before you just had to trust the seller not to charge back. It's not broken or anything, just made a bit more complicated.

Archived