A hint for avoiding the "friend" scam.

Hugeisno1

I don't know if anyone else does this but I've had the habit of marking people who add me or whom I add with a nickname. Adder if they added me and Addy if I added them with the name of the item I wanted to trade.

Only you can see and set the tag so there's no threat of them changing it.

Marking your friends also helps keep up with those guys who constantly change their name and avatar.

Does anyone else use the nicknames to tag people?

tl:dr

Use the "add nickname" option to mark people. Then they can't impersonate your friends

Or you can just block people as soon as they ask "How much for all your unusuals in pure".  

Hint:  nobody ever is going to buy all your unusuals in pure unless you're practically giving them away. 

Hint:  nobody ever is going to buy all your unusuals in pure unless you're practically giving them away. 

youre-wrong-gif.gifsold all my remaining unusuals for i think 28 (or 24 idk) pure once (was cashing out with 30% discount)

This cant really happen anymore since the scam involved the guy saying that he is going to buy the keys from the scm. Keys from scm = 1 week untradable.

Unless the victim doesnt know about the new restriction, this scam is as good as saturated.

Another hint:

Just dont be stupid and fall for it as this scam method is just so obvious

As newling traders have proven time and again people do fall for it. I haven't and I don't plan to. Doesn't hurt to have safe guards in place though. Besides this helps me remove traders without having to remember what their name is. Normally I just remove them all in batches

This cant really happen anymore since the scam involved the guy saying that he is going to buy the keys from the scm. Keys from scm = 1 week untradable.

Unless the victim doesnt know about the new restriction, this scam is as good as saturated.

Seems the week delay does it's job. 

Or you can just block people as soon as they ask "How much for all your unusuals in pure".  

You'd be surprised what deals may fall into your lap. Just never give your items to anyone before you get paid.

You'd be surprised what deals may fall into your lap. Just never give your items to anyone before you get paid.

I have over 30 buds in unusuals...Nobody's paying my BO for every hat I own all at once.  That just doesn't happen.  For one hat maybe.  Not for all at once. 

I don't know if anyone else does this but I've had the habit of marking people who add me or whom I add with a nickname. Adder if they added me and Addy if I added them with the name of the item I wanted to trade.

Only you can see and set the tag so there's no threat of them changing it.

Marking your friends also helps keep up with those guys who constantly change their name and avatar.

Does anyone else use the nicknames to tag people?

tl:dr

Use the "add nickname" option to mark people. Then they can't impersonate your friends

It's a good idea for naming your friends just in general as you said since several friends always have a tendency to change their nicknames often.

But I think the main point here is if you are getting scammed by the "your items could be duped, trade them to a close friend so I can see they aren't duped" move then you are a moron and you deserve to lose your shit. It's really just called common sense. 

I tried it once with a friend from the same country as me.

As soon as he spoke ( in english ) I knew it wasn't him. 

"hey? ryu? im on ur side"

Also, there is a handy little tab at the top of the trade telling you if they're on your Friends List or not.

Possibility to tag people in your friend list is priceless.

I've been suffering without it long before it was added. I was just happy when Valve finally added it.

It helps to keep track of people who change their nicknames and pictures too often. Before this feature was added I was forced to delete friends who I didn't know anymore.

I also mark people who add me or who I add.

Doesn't it show now above the trade window "you've been friends for x days"? A trusted friend should be 100+. The difference between that and 0 days should be obvious even for the biggest retards

If someone asks for a middle man and their account is poor af, scammer

if someone links you anything and you don't know them (even if you do they could have gotten hyjacked) insta block and remove.

Just basic common sense. Me and my friends have a code we use so we know we are dealing with each other, and not some fake impersonator. Also, with the new update when you are in a trade with someone, it shows their steam level, and how long you've been friends. 

If you're tagging people who add you for trading, you probably have enough sense to know about the scams that go around.

The best way to prevent the "friend" scam is the teach people that you will never need to trade an item to a third party for a normal trade.

Steam also updated their trade interface to show how long people have been friends, that should be a red flag if people bother to look at it. It's a good start but it won't stop the scam fully. Again, teaching the new traders is the best way to prevent scamming.

Archived