Am confused; Why does everybody suddenly not want to pay for paint anymore?

DGC Dōktōr Dan the LAN Man

Are people really becoming so cheap that they refuse to add for paint? I got 2 black painted miscs a while back and I can't sell them for the life of me at a fair price because nobody is paying for paint anymore.

Precisely. 2.25 key Distinctive Lack of Hue paint (black) added on to any normal 1.22 ref misc, factoring in the 50% rule, comes out to 1.3-1.5 keys. I'm selling mine for below 1.2 keys and anytime I offer anybody ingame or even check outpost (yeah, I realize outpost is full of sharks anyway so it's never a good way to view these things) they refuse to add the overpay for paint.

I seriously have miscs that are worth over a key because of the black paint and people are gonna be such profit-hungry jerks that they refuse to pay for the paint?

Precisely. 2.25 key Distinctive Lack of Hue paint (black) added on to any normal 1.22 ref misc, factoring in the 50% rule, comes out to 1.3-1.5 keys. I'm selling mine for below 1.2 keys and anytime I offer anybody ingame or even check outpost (yeah, I realize outpost is full of sharks anyway so it's never a good way to view these things) they refuse to add the overpay for paint.

I seriously have miscs that are worth over a key because of the black paint and people are gonna be such profit-hungry jerks that they refuse to pay for the paint?

The problem is that the paint is applied to a low value item.  I can't really explain the logic behind it, but nobody pays the standard 50% for paint when it's applied to an item worth less than half a key.   In these cases, you can charge maybe 25% extra.   

The problem is that the paint is applied to a low value item.  I can't really explain the logic behind it, but nobody pays the standard 50% for paint when it's applied to an item worth less than half a key.   In these cases, you can charge maybe 25% extra.   

Well that sucks; if I had known that before I wouldn't have settled for this price when selling off my strange EOTL misc (in retrospect, though, it wasn't worth that much to begin with)

But seriously, when did this happen? I used to see the 50% rule applied to pretty much everything. Sure, I've more or less been on hiatus from this past May to the beginning of December but did that much really change in that time? (besides, y'know, ridiculous key inflation)

Well that sucks; if I had known that before I wouldn't have settled for this price when selling off my strange EOTL misc (in retrospect, though, it wasn't worth that much to begin with)

But seriously, when did this happen? I used to see the 50% rule applied to pretty much everything. Sure, I've more or less been on hiatus from this past May to the beginning of December but did that much really change in that time? (besides, y'know, ridiculous key inflation)

It's not really a new rule.  It just depends on the items individually.  The thing is, if someone's going to spend a key on something, they're probably going to spend it on something better than a Fantzipantzen or French formals, painted or not.  Also, people are being super stingy right now, not a good time to sell anything.  

Riiiight, that makes sense. With all the duck-hype (because that's basically all  EOTL is haha) I almost forgot Smissmass was upon us. Guess I'll just keep trying and see what happens. Worst case is that they drop even more because of the key inflation .-.

Are people really becoming so cheap that they refuse to add for paint? I got 2 black painted miscs a while back and I can't sell them for the life of me at a fair price because nobody is paying for paint anymore.

I'm kind of getting the feeling that trading is becoming more profit-based than trying to obtain a certain hat. It's hard to sell painted items, just like stranges with parts. 

Parts and paints are a pain to sell. I've sat on a white Medic's Mountain Cap and multiple stranges with... unusual parts on them for months.

I actually used them in the end as partial payment for something, I forget what. So you could try that, rather than selling them?

I'm kind of getting the feeling that trading is becoming more profit-based than trying to obtain a certain hat. It's hard to sell painted items, just like stranges with parts. 

Has selling painted items/ stranges with strange parts ever been easy for you?

For me it hasn't, out of my experience it has always taken me ages to sell painted/strange parted items for the 50% rule.

I NEVER value paints/strange parts when somebody offers me a painted/strange parted item. Max. extra I value it as is maybe like 2 ref extra if its black or white. This way you can only make profit if you accept a painted item, even if you have to sit on it for a while.

The thing I always see with parts and paints ect, is Why would someone want to pay more for something they don't want?

As Beta said, they don't add the value to the items when its offered, and I know for a fact i'm not going to be paying X ammount extra for 3 parts and a kill streak on a strange I'm only going to use until it gets to Hales own and then I keep it in my collection until never. As for paints, they're almost exclusively personal preference and theres 3 hats, all the same, 1 with black one with the Buyers choice and the 3rd being blank, they're more than likely going to go for the one with the paint they want IF they're going to get it painted anyway.

Usually what I do is buy the painted items based off what the lowest seller is for that painted item. I have almost no problem selling the items then. It's not that people aren't willing to pay for paints, they're not willing to pay too much for paints. There are always going to be the buyers and the suppliers. People (if they have any smarts at all) are going to buy painted items rather than buy the item and the paint separately. Strange parts is a whole different story though. Personally, I never add for Strange Parts. Almost no one is willing to pay for them on any Strange. Maybe if you add a fifth of the value to the strange it would sell, but otherwise I haven't had any luck selling them.

My guess is the the saturation of misc items, there are just soooooooooooooooooo many now compared to a year ago, which means there are a ton more painted. 

Because people are starting to realize that it's all worthless.

People (if they have any smarts at all) are going to buy painted items rather than buy the item and the paint separately. Strange parts is a whole different story though. Personally, I never add for Strange Parts. Almost no one is willing to pay for them on any Strange. Maybe if you add a fifth of the value to the strange it would sell, but otherwise I haven't had any luck selling them.

This is very true for me. I'll buy items that are painted colors I like if I can afford them and I'll specificly wait for Stranges to be sold that have parts I already want on them applied. It saves a lot of Ref even if it takes me longer to get the actual items.

Painted items are and always have been a slow sell. Once you're trying to get value off the paint, you are now looking for someone who is looking specifically for that combination of cosmetic and paint. It can take weeks, even months in some cases. You'll have to gauge the desirability of the cosmetic and the impact of the paint as well. I took a quick look at the paint on the Fantzipatzen and the Formals. Each get a pretty dull, minor change from the paint. As a result, they'll be a harder sell, even though they're generally pretty nice misc and painted competition is scarce on each. I'd recommend asking a flat key each, that will make them more appealing to those who do their trading by buying keys with cash.

People have always been cheap. Your hiatus has let you forget how  traders act. They're a pain to sell for anything close to their real value. I try my best to avoid buying painted items when I can and when I can't I value them from around 25% mark for breathing room.

It's a thing of personal taste really. I've recently bought a strange, painted blood banker with parts and I couldn't be happier. Much cheaper than it would have been had I gone and bought those parts and paint.. I liked the paint and parts and it's my favorite class but other than that one exception I've found that buying items is a bit more of a hassle now. Scrolling through page after page of strange parts and killstreaks to find a clean version. Always look for clean unless someone is asking for a specific paint.

In fact I've made some decent profit buying painted sets on order. The people were ok with paying 50% - 100% value for that ^^

My worst pain with paint was owning a lack of hue scrap pack for 2 1/2 YEARS. It's only recently I've managed to trade it for a lime green merc's mohawk. Hopefully that'll prove more popular.

Archived