$400-$500 USD computer build?

Tanner the Original Scout™

I should be the last to ask, but anybody have suggestions? I'd highly prefer going AMD, specifically an APU-based build. If you can do a good build that isn 't AMD, I'll consider it. OS not needed.

I would also like a DVD or Blu-Ray drive in it.

For gaming? location? peripherals/monitior? 

(APUs are a pretty shitty choice unless you're at the $300~ mark).

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($108.97 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Directron) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($77.15 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $518.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 22:24 EST-0500

If it really has to be under under $500, then go with an AMD 860k+FM2 board or maybe a G3258+h81 board -- depending of course on what the workload/intended games is. 

For gaming? location? peripherals/monitior? 

(APUs are a pretty shitty choice unless you're at the $300~ mark).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Directron) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($77.15 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.49 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $518.58

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 22:24 EST-0500

Gaming, sorry about that :P

No monitor needed either. Or periphials. Just the main computer parts .

Gaming, sorry about that :P

No monitor needed either. Or periphials. Just the main computer parts .

well, I'd highly recommend bumping your budget to the $560~ mark and getting an i5. 

well, I'd highly recommend bumping your budget to the $560~ mark.

Meh. The reason why it's so low is that I want to work up to some cash and eventually sell my laptop. So going over $500 isn't really a choice, sadly.

Meh. The reason why it's so low is that I want to work up to some cash and eventually sell my laptop. So going over $500 isn't really a choice, sadly.

$501 :3 

Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.49 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($173.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($31.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $501.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-16 22:34 EST-0500

Intels are overpriced and overrated until you get into i7 imo.You can get 8 cores and 3.5 ghz for 100 $ same price as that cpu

lol 

core count and clock speed aren't everything, more important is the architecture being used--which makes comparing clock speeds and cores completely irrelevant unless youre comparing within the same architechture. Even a locked Haswell i5 will beat an FX9590 (An FX8320@5ghz); and an FX8320 isn't even any cheaper once you consider that you need an expensive board to properly handle the chip. Not to mention, an i7 provides extra benefit over an i5 in about 4 games. 

P.s. an FX8320 isn't $100 anyway. 

Intels are overpriced and overrated until you get into i7 imo.You can get 8 cores and 3.5 ghz for 100 $ same price as that cpu

To be 100% honest, you do need a decent mobo and CPU cooler to handle an FX 8320 or above. The 9xxx series is a joke, and the 8xxxE series sounds interesting. Intel clock speeds=/=AMD clock speeds, coming from an AMD fanboy.

To be 100% honest, you do need a decent mobo and CPU cooler to handle an FX 8320 or above. The 9xxx series is a joke, and the 8xxxE series sounds interesting. Intel clock speeds=/=AMD clock speeds, coming from an AMD fanboy.

The issue with the -E series, is that it still has the same performance as the original FX8 series, which is going on three years+ now and isn't supposed to be replaced until 2016 at the earliest. The difference between the FX8 and the FX8E is that the E is just underclocked. Unfortunately, AMD has pretty much fallen out of the cpu business (excluding low end APUs/Athlon X4s).

I really do hope they come up with something good in 2016 that really pushes back against Intel hard, as the Athlon 64+ series trashed the Pentium series back in the day...and AMD's GPUs compete exceptionally well with Nvidia. Price/performance wise the comparable AMD gpu is pretty much always cheaper than the Nvidia gpu -- often by enough to make AMD's level up the same cost (and sometimes cheaper than) nvidias gpu.

Anyway, now isn't really the time to AMD fanboy build :unsure: The only time I would consider going with an FX8 chip would be if I was doing mostly rendering and the benefits in rendering would outweigh the cons in gaming.

The issue with the -E series, is that it still has the same performance as the original FX8 series, which is going on three years+ now and isn't supposed to be replaced until 2016 at the earliest. Unfortunately, AMD has pretty much fallen out of the cpu business (excluding low end APUs/Athlon X4s).I really do hope they come up with something good in 2016 that really pushes back against Intel hard, as the Athlon 64+ series trashed the Pentium series back in the day...and AMD's GPUs compete exceptionally well with Nvidia (price/performance wise the comparable AMD gpu is pretty much always cheaper than the Nvidia gpu -- often by enough to make AMD's level up the same cost (and sometimes cheaper than) nvidias gpu.

Yup. Like literally, the new Athlons and Semprons were pretty much laptop A4 and A6 APUs. The two Semprons being built on the A4-1200 and the A6-1450, th two Athlons being the A4-5000 and the A6-5200 (which, my laptop carries the 5200.)

Whith the actual desktop APUs and the Piledriver/Kaveri-based Athlons, they are impressive for what they are. But yes, AMD desperately needs to update the FX line.

I don't want this to be a shitpost, but It's going to basically be a shitpost.

You guys sound like you are discussing rocket science to me, and it makes me ashamed to think I call myself a PC gamer.

I don't want this to be a shitpost, but It's going to basically be a shitpost.

You guys sound like you are discussing rocket science to me, and it makes me ashamed to think I call myself a PC gamer.

Ok, time to speak Arabic then.... ãªã¦ã¯ã‚ãªãªãŸã¯ãµ.

just gonna ignore the rest of this comment war

APUs, even the newest ones, are absolute shit for gaming (a8-6600k owner here, can't play anything above 30fps 720p low-med settings)

$500's a tricky amount to work with, it's just not enough to get a good graphics card and a processor that won't bottleneck it. If you need any peripherals you're toast as well.

just gonna ignore the rest of this comment war

APUs, even the newest ones, are absolute shit for gaming (a8-6600k owner here, can't play anything above 30fps 720p low-med settings)

$500's a tricky amount to work with, it's just not enough to get a good graphics card and a processor that won't bottleneck it. If you need any peripherals you're toast as well.

An R9 280 and an i3 works well and is doable at $500. 

An R9 280 and an i3 works well and is doable at $500.

Would an Athlon X4 760k or 860k be substitutable for an i3, or an FX-4300/6300?

Would an Athlon X4 760k or 860k be substitutable for an i3, or an FX-4300/6300?

For gaming i3 > FX6300 > fx4300 > 860k 

(and keep in mind, you need a decent board to run an FX6300 -- so it's not likely to be any cheaper). 

For gaming i3 > FX6300 > fx4300 > 860k 

(and keep in mind, you need a decent board to run an FX6300 -- so it's not likely to be any cheaper).

Meh. I would like an overclockable CPU, but still, your build has me thinking.

Wouldn't a 6300 be better than an i3 for this price range?

not for gaming, as most games are based on core by core performance and amd cores are fairly weak

Archived