METAL INFLATION CONSISTENT WITH KEYS BUT NOT THE AVERAGE CRAFT HAT and WEAPONS?

InfamousStarfall

Hello everyone, I recently joined the forums, so I have to ask you to deal with me lightly if I have made obvious "noobish" mistakes. I've played Team Fortress 2 for about 3-4 years and I noticed that the Mann Co. Crate Keys' price have risen tremendously. 3 years ago the price was 2.66 refined, now it is about to be 4x that amount. I understand why the price has risen; Because of the recent actions of valve (adding premuim upgrade package) and the spike of players joining the trading community out of the blue. What I have trouble understanding about the inflation is; Keys rise in price because of inflation of metal, but why are metal prices for craft hats and weapons still the same?

True that there is less demand and they're craftable/dropable. But wouldn't that mean craft hat prices are worth less in $ when metal is inflated and worth more when metal is delfated.

I just think it contradicts itself in a way. Because selling 2 craft hats is worth a key about 3 years ago. But now selling 9 craft hats will get you one key. Its somewhat confusing.

I want keys. I don't want craft hats. Every trader wants keys instead of craft hats.

/topic

I want keys too, but that does not change the fact that the hat prices are still contradicting the inflation. Unless hat prices and weapon prices coincidentally had their metal prices dropped while metal price in $ dropped, or they are considered currency.

:rolleyes:

Craft hats are valued relative to the crafting system.  It's either 3 refined to craft a random hat, or you can combine 2 craft hats to do it.  So the value of craft hats will always remain within that range unless the crafting system is changed.

;)

Same applies to weapons.  It's 2 weapons to make a scrap, so again they are valued relative to the crafting system itself and this will not change unless the crafting system itself changes.  Weapons that do not drop and weapons that require a special crafting recipe are obviously an exception and will of course be worth more.

:rolleyes:

Craft hats are valued relative to the crafting system. It's either 3 refined to craft a random hat, or you can use 2 craft hats. So the value of craft hats will always remain within that range unless the crafting system is changed.

;)

I suppose that makes sense enough. Unless Gabe Newell adds a craft system where it is consistent with the amount of metal, weapons and hats will be the same price. I suppose that is a long shot though.

Thank you.

It's because craft hats can be crafted by refined metal. And thusly, they're always worth 1.33. If craft hats were made with something other than weapons, you would see the metal falling independently. If you pay attention, things that are not dependent on metal rise as metal falls, and craft hats which are made by the metal do not.

My questions has been answered by the good people of the BackPack.TF community.

Thank you all for the help.

Permission to lock this post is granted.

Again thanks.

Archived