How to limit my anger?

DiamondHavoc.

I find myself getting angry more and more recently. For example:

Just now I sat down to practice my piano pieces, and got a note wrong twice in a row. I stood up and started stamping my feet on the floor and sat back down. I realized I had Science homework due in tomorrow and started to punch the sofa, before returning to the piano. In the few minutes after, random things seemed to anger me.

Is there any way I can limit my anger? It only started recently.

I find myself getting angry more and more recently. For example:

Just now I sat down to practice my piano pieces, and got a note wrong twice in a row. I stood up and started stamping my feet on the floor and sat back down. I realized I had Science homework due in tomorrow and started to punch the sofa, before returning to the piano. In the few minutes after, random things seemed to anger me.

Is there any way I can limit my anger? It only started recently.

This genuinely made me laugh, because I'm just the exact opposite. I'm so chilled out, it's unbelievable.

It's not really anger, it's impatience. When I stopped taking my ADHD medication about two years ago, I was very impatient and angered easily. With my increased patience and ability to wait without getting bored, I've grown less angry.

Practice being patient, and don't bottle your anger up inside.

Mmh. People often suggest the punching a pillow thing. Don't do that.

Why? It serves as providing positive reinforcement for violence in reaction to anger, and it turns encourages violence as a reaction to anger.

I imagine what I do for my anxiety would work well for anger too, as it's primarily about returning to an emotional 'blank state.'

Two things:
 Breath in to the count of seven and out to the count of eleven. If you're counting numbers in your head your thought patterns are disrupted.

Look to your up-left. I forget why this works, it's to do with something about brain processing - the basis for that half-truth that 'people look to their right when they're lying.'

But yes. Give those a go.

Record yourself doing whatever you do that normally gets you angry. After watching footage of yourself, you will see how silly you look and how unnecessary it is to get mad

Whenever I notice that I'm butchering a piano piece, I usually play it hands separate several times and/or slow it down a bit. This helps, but I sometimes have to just practice over and over :s

When I use to get mad I just punch the closest thing to me.  After doing that for awhile that will make you stop and think things through.  (Had to go to the hospital to fix my hand after punching a dent in a metal shed 3 years ago).

When I use to get mad I just punch the closest thing to me.  After doing that for awhile that will make you stop and think things through.  (Had to go to the hospital to fix my hand after punching a dent in a metal shed 3 years ago).

I sometimes punch things, but not because I'm mad, just to do it. I've dented so many metal things it's unbelievable, broke glass once too.

Why? It serves as providing positive reinforcement for violence in reaction to anger, and it turns encourages violence as a reaction to anger.

Gent's right. Catharsis through physical means has been shown time and time again to do more harm than good.

Archived