Building my first PC! ($1500 - $2000 Budget)

Charity

After 4 years of using a dying Macbook Pro, it's finally time I step my shit up. 

Now that I'm working a ton, I'm ready to start placing money aside to finally build a gaming Rig. 

I'm completely new to this, but I've got a couple IRL friends that've helped me get things started, and I've got a couple basic part lists set out as of now. All I ask for is a little bit of help choosing things, and a solid explanation of what's what. I know how to put it together, and I know what does what, but some tips and tricks would be delightful. 

As of now, here's my very first list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Charity/saved/cLHnTW

This list was made completely ill-informed, and is missing a couple things. This was a very basic slap-together as soon as I figured it was time to build a Rig of my own. 

After asking a close friend of mine who built his own $3500 Rig what I should do with a $1500 - $2000 Rig, he responded with this list. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Charity/saved/zcjqqs

I'm unsure which is better and for what reasons, and I'd like some of that pointed out to me. Feel free to build me a completely new Rig, if you feel that I'd be better off with it, but all I ask is that you leave the Thermaltake MK. I and the Corsair Vengeance K65. Those are the only things I really wish to build my PC around. 

Thank you guys in advance, I can't wait to see your feedback. 

-Charity

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($88.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.97 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($354.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.15 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Dell P2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($209.98 @ OutletPC) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($77.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1698.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 15:18 EST-0500

The Enthoo Pro is a MUCH better case. 
I'd either go with a Dell P2414H (1080p) or an Acer K272HULbmiidp (1440p). The only reason I would hesitate picking up a 1440p monitor is because I would consider saving some money by getting a 1080p monitor and then stepping up straight to a 4k monitor. Also, if you can stretch your budget a bit, then you can get a 4k monitor and two 970s -- the only reason I'd consider holding off on the 4k option right now is because the only 4k IPS panels are like $600-700 (non IPS versions are around $350~ mark).

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($88.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.97 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($354.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.15 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Dell P2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($209.98 @ OutletPC) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($77.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1698.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 15:18 EST-0500

The Enthoo Pro is a MUCH better case. 

I'm not sure I'm really comfortable using liquid cooling, I'm afraid I'll fuck it up somehow. Is it easy? 

Would you mind also giving me some reasons as to why you changed some things? I'm unsure which is better and why. 

Why is the Enthoo Pro better? The Thermaltake looked badass, so I picked that one. No real  reason to choose it other than I like the way it looks. 

I'm not sure I'm really comfortable using liquid cooling, I'm afraid I'll fuck it up somehow. Is it easy? 

Would you mind also giving me some reasons as to why you changed some things? I'm unsure which is better and why. 

Why is the Enthoo Pro better? The Thermaltake looked badass, so I picked that one. No real  reason to choose it other than I like the way it looks. 

It's a pre assembled cooler. You literally just have to screw the radiator/fans to the case, and the block to the cpu and AIOs are actually MUCH easier to mount than air coolers due to them not having a massive heatsink in the middle of everything.

The Enthoo Pro looks better, the thermaletake has that tacky-gamer look; plus the enthoo pro has better radiator support should you ever go with a full loop. And did I mention it looks better? -- the hard drive array is hidden, as is the PSU area while the sexiness (cpu, mobo, and gpu) are all cealry visible through the large window.

As for why I changed things: 

CPU Cooler: H105 is quite a bit better than the hyper 212 (although the hyper 212 is still an excellent cooler with better price/performance). 

Motherboard: It plays virtually no role in performance, and as such the board I chose will perform just as well as the one your friend chose (basically you can get any Z97 board you want and you should shop based on looks). 

Ram: Platinums are overpriced and aren't any better than the alternatives; and right now 8gb of Ram is still plenty for gaming. 

Storage: The MX100 is a step above the SP600 (and is actually closer to the SP900). 

Storage: Caviar blue is just a faster (newer) drive, although you won't really notice any difference there anyway. 

Video card: A 970 will be similar in performance to a 780Ti, but will run cooler and more efficiently as well as have support for DX12 (and MFAA).

PSU: The one I chose is a MUCH higher quality psu, with better efficiency and a higher power output (not that 970s need the extra power, but still). 

Monitor: Nothing wrong with the one you chose, I'd just want a 1440p monitor at 27" as 1080p at 27" is meh. 

Mouse: G502 is just a better mouse

What are your requirements?

Overclocking?

Cooling systems?

Case?

Do you need anything for heavy editing like Sony Vegas, Photoshop etc.

I need more info.

It's a pre assembled cooler. You literally just have to screw the radiator/fans to the case, and the block to the cpu and AIOs are actually MUCH easier to mount than air coolers due to them not having a massive heatsink in the middle of everything.

The Enthoo Pro looks better, the thermaletake has that tacky-gamer look; plus the enthoo pro has better radiator support should you ever go with a full loop. And did I mention it looks better? -- the hard drive array is hidden, as is the PSU area while the sexiness (cpu, mobo, and gpu) are all cealry visible through the large window.

As for why I changed things: 

CPU Cooler: H105 is quite a bit better than the hyper 212 (although the hyper 212 is still an excellent cooler with better price/performance). 

Motherboard: It plays virtually no role in performance, and as such the board I chose will perform just as well as the one your friend chose (basically you can get any Z97 board you want and you should shop based on looks). 

Ram: Platinums are overpriced and aren't any better than the alternatives; and right now 8gb of Ram is still plenty for gaming. 

Storage: The MX100 is a step above the SP600 (and is actually closer to the SP900). 

Storage: Caviar blue is just a faster (newer) drive, although you won't really notice any difference there anyway. 

Video card: A 970 will be similar in performance to a 780Ti, but will run cooler and more efficiently as well as have support for DX12 (and MFAA).

PSU: The one I chose is a MUCH higher quality psu, with better efficiency and a higher power output (not that 970s need the extra power, but still). 

Monitor: Nothing wrong with the one you chose, I'd just want a 1440p monitor at 27" as 1080p at 27" is meh. 

Mouse: G502 is just a better mouse

Sweet, thanks! That's good to know. 

After looking at some YouTube reviews and some various review sites, I believe I agree that the Enthoo Pro is better. 

I wasn't sure what to do with the amount of RAM chosen, so I just went with 16. That's good to know that 8's just fine. As for the  Power Source, that was something else I was unsure of, so that's great to have something else squared away. 

Thank you again for the help, man! 

What are your requirements?

Overclocking?

Cooling systems?

Case?

Do you need anything for heavy editing like Sony Vegas, Photoshop etc.

I need more info.

I don't believe I need anything Overclocked, and I believe that I'm going for Awesome's H105 for my CPU. As for the rest of the case, I'm at a loss. I'm not sure what to do. 

For the Case, I'm going with the Enthoo Pro. 

I don't believe I'll be needing heavy editing, but I'll likely have Photoshop as I do a lot of Photography for school and as a hobby. 

I don't believe I need anything Overclocked, and I believe that I'm going for Awesome's H105 for my CPU. As for the rest of the case, I'm at a loss. I'm not sure what to do. 

I don't believe I'll be needing heavy editing, but I'll likely have Photoshop as I do a lot of Photography for school and as a hobby. 

Well, with a -K CPU and an H105, and a Gigabyte 970 (or any 970) you really should be overclocking. 

get a 144hz monitor

Meh, I have a 144hz monitor and I'd say it's overrated. 

People either love the difference or don't care, so I'd take an IPS at 60hz over a TN at 144hz any day. 

As for the keyboard, i have a Corsair K70 with red switches and it is amazing.

I'll have to look into it, but from what I've seen and felt, the K65 is orgasmic. :P 

Get Windows 8 not 7, so you can upgrade to 10 later

I didn't think of that, that's probably for the best. I won't be buying any of this within the month either, so I've got some time to plan and future-proof more. 

Well, with a -K CPU and an H105, and a Gigabyte 970 (or any 970) you really should be overclocking. 

People either love the difference or don't care, so I'd take an IPS at 60hz over a TN at 144hz any day. 

Oh? Teach me your ways. 

As I've said, I'm completely new to this. 

I'll have to look into it, but from what I've seen and felt, the K65 is orgasmic. :P

K65, K70, or Cooler Master Quickfire series. They're all excellent so you should just get whatever form factor is better for you. (backlit, TKL, fullsize, dedicated media keys, etc...)

Oh? Teach me your ways. 

As I've said, I'm completely new to this. 

Overclock the shit out of both the 970 and the 4790k. /fin

K65, K70, or Cooler Master Quickfire series. They're all excellent so you should just get whatever form factor is better for you. (backlit, TKL, fullsize, dedicated media keys, etc...)

Overclock the shit out of both the 970 and the 4790k. 

Awesome, I'll keep that noted. 

get a 144hz monitor

This build is fairly excessive I'd imagine, but is it that excessive?

Awesome, I'll keep that noted. 

This build is fairly excessive I'd imagine, but is it that excessive?

I wouldn't call it excessive, but I'd try and use a 144hz monitor before buying one. 

If you're only playing MMOs then it would be excessive and stupid; if you're playing FPS then if YOU would benefit from it, then it's well worthwhile. But as I said before, not everyone benefits from it, sure I can tell my 60hz and 144hz monitors apart by the refresh rate -- but I get too distracted by the game itself to really care, while some people can't go back to 60hz once they've used 144hz. So...it's a very personal thing. 

Then don't get a "K" CPU or a motherboard with a chip made for overclocking.

Stick with 8 GB ram.

Spent rest on a good PSU, GPU and a good cooling system.

Ooh and don't forget to get an SSD, but you don't need a huge one, a one between 128GB - 258GB and just save programs like word, and Windows on it. Throw the rest on a 1 TB HDD.

IPS > 144hz

Your PC will be unable to use a 144hz fully in a short amount of time, won't with IPS, and especially when he does some photo editing with his photo's.

Stick with 8 GB ram.

Ooh and don't forget to get an SSD, but you don't need a huge one, a one between 128GB - 258GB and just save programs like word, and Windows on it. Throw the rest on a 1 TB HDD.

IPS > 144hz

Your PC will be unable to use a 144hz fully in a short amount of time, won't with IPS, and especially when he does some photo editing with his photo's.

Overclocking + average cooler > not overclocking + amazing cooler (the stock cooler is fine at stock speeds in any case with decent air flow). 

I agree, for me personally, IPS > 144hz; however, thats a very personal opinion and I know lots of people who feel the other way about it -- although for editing IPS does become even more important. Also, a single 970 can pull 100~ fps in most games (which is around where the additional fps stops really mattering -- 100fps is noticea compared to 60, but 144 is much less noticeable compared to 100); plus the way the build is set up he can easily drop in a second 970, and then he'd have no problems getting 100+ fps in gaming. 

I wouldn't call it excessive, but I'd try and use a 144hz monitor before buying one. 

If you're only playing MMOs then it would be excessive and stupid; if you're playing FPS then if YOU would benefit from it, then it's well worthwhile. But as I said before, not everyone benefits from it, sure I can tell my 60hz and 144hz monitors apart by the refresh rate -- but I get too distracted by the game itself to really care, while some people can't go back to 60hz once they've used 144hz. So...it's a very personal thing. 

Yeah, I'll cross the 144hz off the list, then. No real need for it. 

Stick with 8 GB ram.

IPS > 144hz

The only reason I said I didn't plan on Overclocking is because I wasn't too sure about it. Now that I've got some backing to do it, I'm going for it. 

The only reason I said I didn't plan on Overclocking is because I wasn't too sure about it. Now that I've got some backing to do it, I'm going for it.

Oh, then OC the hell out of it. And if anything do only get Intel CPU's, they're best for gaming.

Also remember to OC your GPU when doing it.

Oh, then OC the hell out of it. And if anything do only get Intel CPU's, they're best for gaming.

Also remember to OC your GPU when doing it.

Gotcha, gotcha. 

And don't get any Razer stuff, it's fantastic when working but it breaks instantly.

Lol, really? I didn't know their stuff was fragile. :o 

Their keyboards are okay, unless you have rage moments like me.

Lol, I'll be sure to stay away from their stuff, then. 

Rage moments happen even to the best of us. 

Archived