Scam ? Warning: Re-check !

emilights.com

So, just today, via trade offer, I traded my metals and 2 weps FOR a bread box.

What's wrong with that?

1. I am actually been selling bread boxes, not buying.

2. I am selling quite expensive as I paid them quite expensive also.

3. One of the unique weapon is my favorite unique PROFESSIONAL ks bison

This does not happen a lot but more and more 'smart' traders are using the tactic. They will see for stuffs you are selling, then, send you a 'reversed' trade offer. In my case, I missed re-checking what items go to whom !

So, the message I'm trying to relay is : "Be careful!" and "Is this a kind of scam?"

Wow. That gave me a bad headache.

But, not sure if you could call it a scam or not. Some people add your KS items to make you think of them as regular weps and you accept the trade.

Just be careful, I guess.

Wow. That gave me a bad headache.

But, not sure if you could call it a scam or not. Some people add your KS items to make you think of them as regular weps and you accept the trade.

Just be careful, I guess.

That is one.

But he is 'smarter' by reverse offer, (the stupid) me thought that I was selling him.

Not a scam; he sent an offer and you accepted it. It's your job to check what the items are.

I think so, too, just trying to find some consolations ...

it's not easy checking that much offers :D

=========================

A friend of bazaar admin btw : http://backpack.tf/trust/76561198047172379

Some people add your KS items to make you think of them as regular weps and you accept the trade.

I find that unlikely.

You would examine the item first. Why would this person offer you more expensive items for your ordinary weapon? Any common person would examine the weapons placed there.

I find that unlikely.

You would examine the item first. Why would this person offer you more expensive items for your ordinary weapon? Any common person would examine the weapons placed there.

I think you've misunderstood, someone offered emilights their bread box for what appeared to some metal and some normal weapons, but one of the weapons was actually pro killstreaked

and I'd say unethical if intended to trick you

I think you've misunderstood, someone offered emilights their bread box for what appeared to some metal and some normal weapons, but one of the weapons was actually pro killstreaked

and I'd say unethical if intended to trick you

While you do have it coming for not checking I believe this is totally a scam.

Not a scam; he sent an offer and you accepted it. It's your job to check what the items are.

By that logic, nothing is the world is a scam. It's your responsibility to do a background check on every person, business, and website you deal with to avoid fake goods, fraudulent purchases, illegally acquired goods, price manipulation, pyramid schemes, impersonators...

Here in reality-land (and in the dictionary), a scam is something that attempts to deceive people into giving/selling something in order to acquire a good or service that they never receive. Fake iPhones are a scam, posing as a homeless person in order to receive donations is a scam, pyramid schemes are a scam. It doesn't matter whether it's simple or complicated, successful or not, a scam's a scam. It's impossible to vet every single thing we deal with; that's why sites like SteamRep exist.

In this case, the dictionary definition of scam (a dishonest scheme; a fraud) applies; the whole point of trade offers like this is to try and either pawn off something that's hard to sell or acquire something worth more than what you're trading, and in both cases it's an attempt at deceiving others to do so. Whether or not it's worthy of a SteamRep ban... well, that's not up to me. I'd absolutely love to see people who do this get kicked in the teeth, though.

A friend of bazaar admin btw : http://backpack.tf/trust/76561198047172379

that is totally irrelevant.

it's annoying to get an add from a random person who then says : "your friend scammed me" (i'm paraphrasing)

the individual who is "friends with a bazaar admin" added me to tell me they liked my one crate per week tumblr long ago.  that was the extent of our "friendship" and i guess i never removed him.

that aside, his is a scummy move and sort of falls under the quick switch scam.

except for the part where you should check every trade and you had plenty of time to...  probably a good lesson to learn before it happens with a much more expensive item...

that is totally irrelevant.

it's annoying to get an add from a random person who then says : "your friend scammed me" (i'm paraphrasing)

the individual who is "friends with a bazaar admin" added me to tell me they liked my one crate per week tumblr long ago.  that was the extent of our "friendship" and i guess i never removed him.

that aside, his is a scummy move and sort of falls under the quick switch scam.

except for the part where you should check every trade and you had plenty of time to...  probably a good lesson to learn before it happens with a much more expensive item...

I am guilty for carelessly confirmed the trade. Still, what he did (I observe) was intentionally done without good will. Our society normally punish people proven to have done deceitful things. But, I'm not sure if tf2 trading communities do the same thing, or if the guy is guilty.

My purpose of mentioning you was to catch your attention about this. But I may have expressed, etc. it the wrong way. I also added you to ask for your assistance in talking to the guy.

My excuses :

1. The issue perhaps interest you as an admin of a good trading site.

2. You may be interested helping two guys happy. Some people added me for this kind of things and I met two guys willing to return the stuffs (that's 6 guys smilling).

At any rate, for making you uncomfortable in any way, I apologize.

Archived