Just got paypal scammed, how do I do a chargeback?

The Recluse

Jl0R6QO.png

I do trades with new people and this time it went South. First time in a few hundred transactions. Does anyone here know how to successfully do a chargeback for TF2 items? I've heard it can be tricky and really want to get it right.

*** We wrote all that as the trade was pending on my end, then he cancelled it and blocked me

First; SteamRep.

Best to mark on SteamRep in case he might be trying this again

You say that as if it wont take several months for a report to be looked at with another several months for it to be properly reviewed.

Yes I already filed the steamrep so let's drop it. I'm concerned with actually getting my money back. Paypal says they don't handle chargebacks, the credit card company does, but I paid with money sitting in my paypal account so there's no way they'll get involved. Anyone have experience with this?

Literally click the payment and click the chargeback or whatever.

exactly.

and as paypal does not support virtual item selling, there is no way you're losing your money.

Clicking on the payment brings me to transaction details where I see no information about chargebacks. At the bottom it says there's a number I can call to file a dispute and I did, I said it was for gaming items(it was an option) and it said they can't help. :(

EDIT: Found the resolution center

My three options

What type of problem would you like to address?

I have a problem with an item I purchased - I have not received it or it is not as described

I want to report a transaction that I didn't authorize or was transacted in error

I have a problem with a payment sent for personal/family/household purposes to someone outside the United States

The first one was insta-rejected. Does anyone KNOW which, between 2 and 3, will get me my money back? I don't want to do the wrong one and herp derp can't get my money back cuz blah blah blah

Paypal says they don't handle chargebacks, the credit card company does, but I paid with money sitting in my paypal account so there's no way they'll get involved.

You say that as if it wont take several months for a report to be looked at with another several months for it to be properly reviewed.

Honestly, the caution tag is just as helpful as a ban tag. Caution, and you check the report out and if the report makes them seem scammy you dont trade. So do report him, no matter how long it takes, him having a clean steamrep will allow him to do this again, perhaps. Stop him while you have the chance.

• 3 months later...

*** We wrote all that as the trade was pending on my end, then he cancelled it and blocked me

SR, outpost, and we will need screenshots of your trade history showing the keys you sent. Right now there isn't any proof that keys were even sent.

SR, outpost, and we will need screenshots of your trade history showing the keys you sent. Right now there isn't any proof that keys were even sent.

He didn't send keys, he was buying them. He went first, and the scammer took the money and ran.

He didn't send keys, he was buying them. He went first, and the scammer took the money and ran.

I guess the keys he didn't receive, then, on Nov 23. Screenshots of trade history one day on either side should be sufficient. And he can send it as a PM instead of posting it here.

Archived