Is it safe to blow compressed air to my laptop's fan without taking it apart, or could the fan break?

Zerr

You mean like an air can? That should be fine, although maybe not very efficient unless you had full, unobstructed access to the areas. Using an air can on the side of a regular computer where a fan might be, but without having the case open, won't be as effective as sliding off the side panel and blasting it from multiple angles etc. Same would hold true for your laptop.

You mean like an air can? That should be fine, although maybe not very efficient unless you had full, unobstructed access to the areas. Using an air can on the side of a regular computer where a fan might be, but without having the case open, won't be as effective as sliding off the side panel and blasting it from multiple angles etc. Same would hold true for your laptop.

Ok, so i should take the laptop apart then. I have done that many times before when i cleaned it, but its a HP laptop so its a pain in the ass to take apart...

inb4 status update pls

I don't see why this should be a status update.

You might just want to use a vacuum cleaner though so the dust doesn't end up going into the laptop.

I don't see why this should be a status update.

You might just want to use a vacuum cleaner though so the dust doesn't end up going into the laptop.

Do this instead

^^ Please answer. 

You should be safe to go ahead and do that.  As with anything computer-related, just be gentle.

If you're trying to clear the dust on and around the fan, I have a method that I prefer more.  Turn off the laptop, close it, and place it on the floor so that the bottom faces up.  Grab a vacuum cleaner and turn it on.  Using the small attachment, take the hose of the vacuum  and place it over the vents.  You should be able to see dust coming out of the vent, and the fan will likely spin.  Do this to all the vents on the rear until no more dust escapes.  

Source: I do this with my laptop.  It's an HP, so very prone to overheating.  Every time I clean it out it runs SIGNIFICANTLY cooler.  I try to do this about ever 3-4 months.

Please don't, it will spin like crazy and break the bearings.

To be honest, I was worried about this too.  However, even with the bearings on my old laptop, it has had no problem.  I've actually had more problems with dust affecting the bearings than a vacuum.  

That being said, I don't know anything about the fan in OP's laptop, so I'd implore them to take that into serious consideration before using a vacuum.

To be honest, I was worried about this too.  However, even with the bearings on my old laptop, it has had no problem.  I've actually had more problems with dust affecting the bearings than a vacuum.  

That being said, I don't know anything about the fan in OP's laptop, so I'd implore them to take that into serious consideration before using a vacuum.

Actually, last time i took it apart and took the dust out with tweezers manually with the help of compressed air, and it worked fine. Was a hassle, but i have heard you should not just straight up vacuum it.

I've cleaned my laptop with compressed air cans many times, without opening it, just spraying(?) air right into the fan vents. It's safe.

Never clean with a vacuum. Static electricity will kill your computer.

I've cleaned my laptop with compressed air cans many times, without opening it, just spraying(?) air right into the fan vents. It's safe.

Never clean with a vacuum. Static electricity will kill your computer.

Unless you get close to any pcb's it's safe to vacuum the fan itself, but it doesn't really get the fan as clean as with canned air.

Unless you get close to any pcb's it's safe to vacuum the fan itself, but it doesn't really get the fan as clean as with canned air.

Eh, true I guess. I've heard that the dust moving creates static? Idk

Archived