Allow suggestions for low craft numbers (1-100)

Bobsplosion

Pros:

• Like high-valued unusuals, they could act as a record.
  • Helps people value their own low craft by comparing to others.
  • More accurately prices backpacks.

Cons:

• Work

Thoughts? Want to add to pros/cons? Let me know.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been suggested before, and the mods said no because it would be too damn hard to price them all and pretty much useless

Edit: I'll just go and find the ancient thread like I always do

Well can't find it, got bored

It seem cool at first but look at some of the low craft items, some are in private backpacks, some are gone forever.

Not really a good idea, also you need to account for how many cosmetics and weapons that was ever craftable

Would add a lot of complexity for minimal gain.

-1, We don't need a million new prices being made for craft #s that don't sell.

People already effectively price their own craft numbers anyway.

There are quite a few times more craft numbered items in existence than there are unusuals. Not any particular kind of unusual, unusuals full stop.

That's not 'work', that is a monumental undertaking. Plus they're all 1 of 1, so pricing them would be a b*tch anyway.

How would this work?

Just add a little "Craft Number?" box to the suggestion screen.

I think we used to have something like this but it was removed. I wasnt here that long ago, but I've heard of it

I know there was a thing where having any low craft would increase the value, but nothing this specific.

-1, We don't need a million new prices being made for craft #s that don't sell.

People already effectively price their own craft numbers anyway.

Well, we see people PCing their craft number items every day, I thought keeping a record would be an easy way to streamline it.

It seem cool at first but look at some of the low craft items, some are in private backpacks, some are gone forever.

Well, that also happens with unusuals, does it not?

There are quite a few times more craft numbered items in existence than there are unusuals. Not any particular kind of unusual, unusuals full stop.

That's not 'work', that is a monumental undertaking. Plus they're all 1 of 1, so pricing them would be a b*tch anyway.

Well, we still have quite a few unpriced unusuals despite years of work, and the longer we wait around the more there are going to be.

i feel like you're saying just to get backpack price up

I want pricing accuracy.

Well, we still have quite a few unpriced unusuals despite years of work, and the longer we wait around the more there are going to be.

Doesn't that put in context for you how pointless this would be as a system?

We still have unpriced unusuals after a few years of work. Imagine if the number of unusuals suddenly tripled.

It wouldn't be of any use to anybody other than just reporting prior sales, which anybody interested in a specific craft looks up for themselves.

Unless you have a particular interest in moving up a particular list, this idea serves no purpose.

Doesn't that put in context for you how pointless this would be as a system?

Tracking a single 1:1 craft number (or in rare cases, dupes,) is multifolds easier than tracking several unusuals.

I feel craft # pricing, more than anything else in the game since they're all 1 of 1 (unless they're duped), is highly subjective and really depends on the buyer.  A collector (I'd say the majority of craft #s go to collectors) is much more likely to overpay for an item than your average for profit trader.  Putting prices on these things will have the same effect as it does for unusuals:  people will treat these as bible.  

Take your #1 Law purchase for example.  I think you said you paid around 30 in unusuals.   Say we slap a price on the #1 Law.  Next time #1 gets crafted - no matter what hat - price of 10 buds on OP because "#1 Law sold for 30 buds so this should be at least 10".   This will happen with all crafts since sellers will look at high priced crafts and price their crafts accordingly.   It'll be just another highball justification.  I'm against this.  

Tracking a single 1:1 craft number (or in rare cases, dupes,) is multifolds easier than tracking several unusuals.

You're stating that as a fact, I personally disagree. Very rarely would someone 1:1 a craft number for anything, for example.

You also did just kinda neglect everything else I said.

Next time #1 gets crafted - no matter what hat - price of 10 buds on OP because "#1 Law sold for 30 buds so this should be at least 10".

Wasn't the #1 KE deal like 100 buds? That hasn't had a similar effect.

You're stating that as a fact, I personally disagree. Very rarely would someone 1:1 a craft number for anything, for example.

I didn't mean 1:1 the craft number for another hat in that sense, I meant that each craft number is 1:1 and very easy to track since it's usually a single item.

I'd assume if this was implemented that Mattie & your bp's would rise a lot (especially Mattie). However it'd be cool to see but like others have said work & would be a bitch to the database.  Still, I'd love to see it.  

I didn't mean 1:1 the craft number for another hat in that sense, I meant that each craft number is 1:1 and very easy to track since it's usually a single item.

Didn't have a similar effect because it wasn't recorded and held as an 'official value' on a site everyone uses like a bible.

And, I know, I was making a seperate point. And anyway, Unusuals, particularly 1:1 unusuals, rarely sell in bulk.

10 buds from what I remember reading. And my point is exactly that:  these super high end sales haven't affected craft prices that much, because they're not common knowledge, i.e. freely available on BP.  Once you start that, they'll have a major effect on craft # pricing.  As a #1 collector, you'll shoot yourself in the foot here, guarantee it.  

Aren't there more low crafts than there are unusuals?

We'd literally just create a huge number of unpriceds, it would be seldom that someone trying to find out what their #92 lil' snaggle sold for last because it would probably not be priced.

Edit: Why not price just the first ten or even just #1's and 2's or something? all 100 on every craftable hat is a hefty workload.

And, I know, I was making a seperate point. And anyway, Unusuals, particularly 1:1 unusuals, rarely sell in bulk.

I still don't know what point you're making with this

10 buds from what I remember reading. And my point is exactly that:  these super high end sales haven't affected craft prices that much, because they're not common knowledge, i.e. freely available on BP.  Once you start that, they'll have a major effect on craft # pricing.  As a #1 collector, you'll shoot yourself in the foot here, guarantee it.  

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3228977

I think the Burning KE was 300 buds at the time?

Anyways, besides that, this "well X is $Y so my W is $Z" shit already happens with unusuals, and we haven't stopped pricing unusuals because of it. I don't think that hsould be an issue.

You're saying (I think) that it wouldn't be a stupidly high workload because craft numbers would be easier to price?

If I'm catching the right end of the stick on this, I disagree whole-heartedly.

To price your PS antlers I had to do a mini on the craft #2 antlers.

Probably the most awkward, wretched thing I've ever had to do for a suggestion.

And then times that by, oh, about a hundred thousand? 

It would be a pointless database who's only purpose would be to bump up backpack values.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3228977

I think the Burning KE was 300 buds at the time?

Anyways, besides that, this "well X is $Y so my W is $Z" shit already happens with unusuals, and we haven't stopped pricing unusuals because of it. I don't think that hsould be an issue.

No we haven't stopped.  But it's a huge problem.  It's the major driver behind the "3rd gen cancer eww epidemic" since these things would have fallen a long time ago had it not been for traders desperately holding onto the backpack.tf prices.   This in no way means we should extend this to craft numbers.   

Bob, at the risk of getting a bit personal here (this isn't meant as an insult in any way):  you may have the means to pay pretty much whatever it takes to get an item you want.  So for you, this won't turn out to be a problem.  However, here's how it plays out for a #73 collector (hypothetical scenario obviously):  Trader XYZ buys a craft #73 hat for 2 buds.  He paid so much because this hat looks just like the one his grandpa used to wear and he died when he was 73.  The hat has a lot of sentimental value to this trader so he pays pretty much whatever it takes to get it.  Now that price of 2 buds is in the books and will be used to price other 73 crafts by crafters because this is what they always do.  The #73 collector is now severely fucked because a newly crafted #73 hat which should be something like 2 - 4 keys is now going for 1 - 2 buds instead.  

This spells bad news for collectors......

How about we have individual hat rankings.

Say 5 tiers:

Utter Shit

Shit

OK

Great

God Tier (ke, tc)

and we could price these with a ballpark in keys, getting prices from sales with those items?

Archived