My Screwed OS

The Penguins

So a couple of days ago...my computer was running fine, shut down time was normal. After a few days, however, I found that my computer was taking incredibly long to shut down.....20 MINUTES and it would often take me back to the start screen instead of shutting down... So can anyone help me fix my OS, I suspect it is the source of the problem. I use an HP computer and I use Windows 8.1 , and I ran some virus scans, no detected viruses and the hard drive is fine.

I use an HP computer and I use Windows 8.1

Sorry to say it; that's your problem.

But on a serious note, defrag your hard drive.

8.0 is fine... then my computer decided to ignore my NO that I've told it for the last year and installed 8.1 on it's own.  Booting up my newly 8.1'ed computer it immediately went to shit; games wouldn't work, antivirus wouldn't even load, firefox would crash.... then the harddrive died & I had to send it to the factory for a new one, which I recieved back two weeks~ later.

Luckily this one has 8.0 and I immediately went thru the Registry and DISABLED the windowsupdate notifications so I wont get 8.1 ever again.

I could strongly recommend to just Refresh your computer to 8.0 if possible... I tried to do it, but that was the last straw that broke my harddrive.

**I read somewhere online that unlike most updates which replace the old files, 8.1 actually installs itself on top of the 8.0 files.... so you're prettymuch running 8.0 and 8.1 at the same time, which not too many computers can handle 2 OSs at once.  According to some onlinepeople-smarter-than-I; The only way that 8.1 seems to actually work is to upgrade to it when 8.0 is fresh or something.

Defrag your hard drive.

I don't use windows 8.1, but steps should be something like this.

Press Win+Q

Type defrag into search

Click "Defragment and Optimize your Drives"

The rest is self-explanatory.

Archived