Make a captcha necessary to create a forum account that isn't linked with a steam account.

λngelღмander

This would make it so that people joining the forums using their steam login would have no problem, but people just creating a random account would have to go through the captcha. It wouldn't burden many users, most people joining the forums use steam login, and it would prevent these sports newscaster accounts from spamming the forums.

Or just make a captcha necessary for all users once, and then never again. That way, the spambots will need a human to guide their hand in order to get in here.

Captcha is for stopping bots from making accounts. Not a tool to stop ban evasion

This thread is requesting the implementation of a captcha so that bots can stop making accounts.

Captcha is for stopping bots from making accounts. Not a tool to stop ban evasion 

Liddo... This has nothing to do with ban evasion, just to prevent bots from making accounts. -_-

Bump. I just realized that phishing bots could actually end up here as well. It wouldn't be so farfetched for phishers to realize that this is a steam trading community forum, and send their phishing bots here to make accounts. Not only is it mildly troublesome because of the spam, but it could actually be dangerous, if they figure that out.

Brad please!

Bump. I just realized that phishing bots could actually end up here as well. It wouldn't be so farfetched for phishers to realize that this is a steam trading community forum, and send their phishing bots here to make accounts. Not only is it mildly troublesome because of the spam, but it could actually be dangerous, if they figure that out.

Brad please!

They have figured that out previously. Well, depending on whether those were bot phishers or human phishers, I guess.

But forum phishing if definitely a thing, +1 on this (though I thought we already had this)

They have figured that out previously. Well, depending on whether those were bot phishers or human phishers, I guess.

But forum phishing if definitely a thing, +1 on this (though I thought we already had this)

I wish we did. Just imagine, you're cruising along on your "Safe" forums, and all the sudden a tf2warehouse link appears from a phishy account. You click it because you don't have anything to fear here on the forums, but it downloads that .exe before you can even say wat

And you lose everything you own. 

But you do have to enter a captcha already. and answer a question and it has been like this ever since I made my first alt for sure, and probably since these forums started

But you do have to enter a captcha already. and answer a question and it has been like this ever since I made my first alt for sure, and probably since these forums started

When I joined, I definitely don't remember filling out a captcha. And if there were a captcha, where are all these bots coming from? ._.

When I joined, I definitely don't remember filling out a captcha. And if there were a captcha, where are all these bots coming from? ._.

When you link with steam, no captcha. When you don't, you get a captcha

When you link with steam, no captcha. When you don't, you get a captcha

O dam

How are the bots getting through captcha? I don't remember any of the bots being linked with steam...

O dam

How are the bots getting through captcha? I don't remember any of the bots being linked with steam...

One would have to presume they're being set up manually.

In which case there's really no way to stop them, unless you're required to fill out a captcha for your first post or something.

One would have to presume they're being set up manually.

In which case there's really no way to stop them, unless you're required to fill out a captcha for your first post or something.

Perhaps we can see if they're coming from one IP (which I know isn't the case, couldnt be.) and if they are, maybe block that IP

I'll try to think of more solutions to any new contingencies I think of.

Archived