Question about keys

thatguydann

You've probably heard it and answered it a million times, but why have keys been allowed to raise in price so much? I've not been frequenting backpack.tf much since Long218 started his daily key-rise suggestions back in 2013 and after wetting my toes in the economy nowadays things really seem to have changed.

It's a general trend in the team fortress economy that people will try to buy items for lower than the market price and try to sell them for higher than the market price. This is no different for keys.

Why, then, are sell prices marginally higher than the current accepted key price considered evidence for a price rise?

By this logic, we could be taking 'evidence' from all the people buying low as a reason to move the price of keys down.

Demand for keys does not change, but as supply is limited to only the more expensive sellers as the cheaper ones are bought out, it's intuitive that more of their keys will be sold. This doesn't necessarily reflect the price that the community is willing to pay- rather the price it is forced to pay to keep the economy running. So why base a price rise off of this?

Now, I see plenty of people selling paints for higher than the recommended price and buying for far lower (Point in case is a can of team spirit I was trying to sell. People would buy for 7 ref and sell for 1.2 keys.). To me, this is the same as the principle that is dominating the market changes in keys. So why don't people suggest price decreases based on these kind of trades? Most items are relatively static despite this constantly changing price margin due to quick buyers/quick sellers, but keys are not. I simply fail to see why.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for the price to be lowered for no good reason, I just want clarity as to why this site (which a couple of years ago I thought would be a nice, stabilising influence on the economy) has allowed such a huge disruption in the price of keys in particular over the years based on debatably reliable evidence.

they have raised, because a majority of people are selling it for a higher amount.

we aren't allowing it, we are just updating the price to be more accurate.

Keys aren't going up. Refined is going down. Keys are the most stable currency there is.

This is a repeated quote in EVERY key price forum question.

Keys aren't going up. Refined is going down. Keys are the most stable currency there is.

if that was the case, why are craft hats STILL 1.33 ref and not 7 ref ??

Maybe because it is true?...

ref was finally dropped in price 8 days ago and before that the last change was in may (WAG on date but i know it was a few months ago).... keys have continuously risen in price despite the selling price of metal.

i dont see it as anything other than greed, but that is what makes the world go around. im not bitching about that fact, and that might have actually been the case awhile ago, but i dont see that as the cause anymore. 

Don't think of it as ref becoming cheaper.  Think of it as ref becoming more and more useless.   The only thing ref is really useful for anymore is buying low value items (less than a key) like stranges, craft hats or miscs.  However, even this use is becoming more limited, since for example stranges are now marketable.  Believe it or not, but a lot of people would much rather buy a strange scattergun for 80 cents and complete the transaction in 3 seconds, that try to hunt down a stranger who may or may not have basic communication skills.   

Keys on the other hand are almost infinitely useful: 

- as opposed to ref, you can buy anything with keys (try buying a bud with only ref at your disposal - nobody will sell to you)

- you can sell keys on the market and buy even non-TF2 shit

- you can easily cash out using keys

- you can unbox with keys 

It's not ref being worth less, it's ref being more and more useless.  Keys on the other hand are the most versatile tool in the item universe and are thus always highly sought after.  

Archived