Halloween Spells FAQ

♥Prof. Sugarcube♥

Due to the mass amounts of posts regarding Spells, I've decided to condense Spells into one simple guide.

What are Spells?

Spells are items found during Halloween which cause cosmetic effects to the items they are placed on, such as color changes or footstep particles.

What can Spells be used on?

Spells can be used on weapons or hats, depending on the type of spell.

Where do I get Spells?

Spells are dropped via the Haunted Halloween Gift, which drops every couple of hours. Spells are only available through these gifts on the map koth_lakeside_event or Ghost Fort. Also known as Merasmus' Lair. These gifts are only obtainable during Halloween.

Are spells a guaranteed 100% drop chance from the Haunted Halloween Gift?

No. There are other items in the gift. They are 2012 Cosmetics and Voodoo-Cursed Items.

Will hat and misc spells affect the paint already applied on my item?

Yes and No. During Full Moon, Halloween and events, the spell will show, leaving the paint figuratively invisible. At other times, only the paint will show.

There is a Red text on my Spell saying 'This item will expire on 12th November 2014'. What does it mean?

This text means that the spells will disappear from your inventory if they are are not used on an item. They will also stop dropping from the Haunted Halloween Gift as Halloween has technically ended. However, the spell will only disappear from your inventory when you launch the game after the expiration date.

Will the expiry date effect the currently applied spell on my item?

No it won't. The spell will stay on the item forever, unless you actively remove it manually.

What happens to my spell after the expiration date?

Literally nothing. The spell will remain on your item, but will only be active during Full Moon, Halloween or other similar events.

Why are spells reasonably expensive when they are released?

Hype, my Dear Watson! People love spells, and at the start of events, people buy as many as they can to resell or put on their own items for bragging rights.

Will spells affect the price of my item?

Entirely depends on the willingness of the buyer. The price change can be so negligible or insanely great that it's hard to pinpoint exactly how much you can make from the hat.

Are pure spells or items with spells easier to sell?

The pure spell will always sell faster/almost instantly compared to the item. People like to put spells on an item they like, rather than buying a pre-applied spell.

Can I put two Footprint Spells or two paint spells on my hat?

No. The second spell will replace the first spell. Contrary to popular belief, this does not produce two effects at once.

Hope this guide is useful!

There is a Red text on my Spell saying 'This item will expire on 12th November 2014'. What does it mean?

This text means that the spells will disappear from your inventory if they are are not used on an item. They will also stop dropping from the Haunted Halloween Gift as Halloween has technically ended.

It will only dissapear If you go in game after the date.

Why the Christmas themed colors though? :P  Anyhow good job :).

Lol, I'll change it to Hallow Scheme

It will only dissapear If you go in game after the date.

The majority of people here play TF2, so I am almost fairly certain they will enter TF2 after the expiration date.

The majority of people here play TF2, so I am almost fairly certain they will enter TF2 after the expiration date.

lots of people use alts to store spells tho

Lol, I'll change it to Hallow Scheme

Reason people actually buy them and stock them on alts.

lots of people use alts to store spells tho

Sugarcube, I think it'd be great to mention what w0lk said.^

Reason people actually buy them and stock them on alts.

Just put it in now <3

Thanks for answering the "does it stay applied after the event" part.

/)

(\ Common misconception, It's always good to clear it up B)

Another common one is "Will this paint spell override the paint that's already on my item?"  Yes and no.  It won't wipe the original paint away.  The spell paint will show on full moons and during halloween.  The rest of the time, your original paint will show as normal.

Can I have two footprint on the same hat (or the headless + footprint) and if yes, what is the "rendering" ingame ?

I doubt u can have 2. The second will cancel the first. I do wonder how it handles 2 different items having different footprints.

Question about value.

I think it's better to put paint/footprints on haunted items/unique instead of unusual if you want to get something for it. No addition makes a difference to unusuals so....

I doubt u can have 2. The second will cancel the first. I do wonder how it handles 2 different items having different footprints.

Question about value.

I think it's better to put paint/footprints on haunted items/unique instead of unusual if you want to get something for it. No addition makes a difference to unusuals so....

I will probably keep the hat, no problem for the value ;) And yes we can now have 3 different item with each one footprint, but I don't know what happen in this case.

might I add that sometimes you can resell for more, there are collectors out there  (I've sold a Halloween spell painted deadliest duckling for a bit extra to a guy)

Answer to my question:

1) You can't have two footprints on the same hat (even the headless)

2) If you have two item with a footprints, the effect is randomly chosen. (test a lot for checking. Nothing like order of item work)

Another common one is "Will this paint spell override the paint that's already on my item?"  Yes and no.  It won't wipe the original paint away.  The spell paint will show on full moons and during halloween.  The rest of the time, your original paint will show as normal.

and what happens in the other way around.. i mean if you put a paint into a cosmetic that already have a spell paint? its the same result right? or the normal paint removes the spell one??

So let me get this straight

Footprints:
Team Spirit = Red/greenish
GanGREEN= YELLOW
CorpseGRAY = GREEN
ViolentVIOLET= PEACH
BruisedPURPLE= RED

tumblr_llyoftanLQ1qda8na.gif

and what happens in the other way around.. i mean if you put a paint into a cosmetic that already have a spell paint? its the same result right? or the normal paint removes the spell one??

It's the same concept. The spell is visible at halloween, and the paint the rest of the year

Archived