Fixing Loud Fan

DiamondHavoc.

I play on this, have done for a whole year and there have never been problems. But now when I'm playing games the fan goes very loud and it never used to, it was silent.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-c850-1mc/

Is there a way I can fix this in my power settings? There are no specific fan settings and I just wanna play games with my family in the room without it disturbing them.

There are three things when it comes to loud fans.

1.) Old laptop (MIGHT BE FAULTY) as they tend to wear down and I don't know how long you've been using it.

2.) Dirty fans, ones that haven't been done cleaning for a long time and they might turn into faulty ones if not cleaned for years.

3.) Something got stuck/is inside in the fan.

My friend Box had that problem so he bolted out his own laptop and found a few pieces of paper that somehow were able to get in the fan. Maybe you need to open your laptop and check the fan. Get a flashlight as well.

There are three things when it comes to loud fans.

1.) Old laptop (MIGHT BE FAULTY) as they tend to wear down and I don't know how long you've been using it.

2.) Dirty fans, ones that haven't been done cleaning for a long time and they might turn into faulty ones if no monthly cleanings.

3.) Something got stuck/is inside in the fan.

My friend Box had that problem so he bolted out his own laptop and found a few pieces of paper that somehow were able to get in the fan. Maybe you need to open your laptop and check the fan. Get a flashlight as well.

ok, when I open it up nothing will fall out right? And it's not old, it's a 2013 laptop and this only came on in the past week or so

ok, when I open it up nothing will fall out right? And it's not old, it's a 2013 laptop and this only came on in the past week or so

Just flip it upside down when you decide to open it on a table. As long as it's on the table nothing falls out unless you open it on mid-air. Also if you do, get a screwdriver that can twist all screws and be sure not to lose any of the screws or you might end up fixing the fan but not locking the cover back.

Ok. You can take a part of the base of my laptop off and the whole base off. Which should I do?

To best fix things up, if you wish to; mind if you send a picture of the back of your laptop? Usually, the fan has its own cover connected with other parts of the laptop near the fan unless it's one big cover that opens up your laptop then you might as well open the whole thing as long as you don't touch or cut off anything on the inside.

To best fix things up, if you wish to; mind if you send a picture of the back of your laptop? Usually, the fan has its own cover connected with other parts of the laptop near the fan unless it's one big cover that opens up your laptop then you might as well open the whole thing as long as you don't touch or cut off anything on the inside.

Well, theres likely to be dust in places other than just the fan; and he should clean it out as much as he can.

/Without dismantling the whole laptop, since I'm guessing thats a bit beyond him...and on most laptops dismantling and reassembling is a huge bitch since there are like 30 different screws and 15 layers. 

^Finally, the right term 'dismantle'. I was looking for that word. You don't have to dismantle the whole laptop, just the cover that leads to the fan unless the only cover it has is the entire thing then he has to open it.

I'd just but a desktop PC for playing games

otherwise, what worked for my old laptop (which I didn't use for gaming in case someone things I'm a hippocrite) was opening it up and carefully cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner, as well as using cleaning software to get rid of all the unused, old files slowing down the system.

good luck either way

I'd just but a desktop PC for playing games

otherwise, what worked for my old laptop (which I didn't use for gaming in case someone things I'm a hippocrite) was opening it up and carefully cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner, as well as using cleaning software to get rid of all the unused, old files slowing down the system.

good luck either way

For the love of god....DON'T do that....

You can vacuum fans if you keep them still, but don't get near any pcb.

Its really just not worth doing...If you're not extremely careful you can easily build up a static charge and short shit out; and considering compressed air is usually better, theres just no reason to ever use a vacuum. 

My old desktop had a loud northbridge cooler, so I put a plastic stick into it. It was there for 3 years without any consequences.

Also there was no thermal grease on the CPU for like 7 years.

It did work great.

Just clean your laptop every 6 monts or so and you're good.

Its really just not worth doing...If you're not extremely careful you can easily build up a static charge and short shit out; and considering compressed air is usually better, theres just no reason to ever use a vacuum. 

I never said vacuums can't build up static electricity, but if you zap your fan-blade it's not like your computer will break. Fans are fine to vacuum, as long as you keep away from the pcb's and keep the fan still there's nothing to worry about. The reason to vacuum your laptop fan is if you don't got any canned air at home, and just want to do it right now, and save some money in the process. But yes, canned air is better. Just saying that vacuuming fans is possible.

Problem iz fix. Dad just took the laptop from me, put it upside-down, turned on the vacuum and cleaned it for a few minutes.

Archived