'Block User' ability on Main site

♥Prof. Sugarcube♥

Alright, I'm tired of getting banned for Flame wars;

So I request a 'Block user' ability; which mainly would;

• Block every trace of them except their suggestions, suggestion history and profile
  • Hides any of their replies to your comments (Could use some code for the counter-suggest thing)
  • Reduce Flame Wars by 1000% as you can easily block them and done, flame war over (they can't reply to your posts :P)

It would also get rid of those people you find so irritably annoying when they decide to start a war or contradict you at every corner.

I would use this so amazingly much, filtering out the people I don't want to get messed with and leaving me with the rest of people whose necks I don't want snapped, effectively giving me less warns, bans and to prevent myself from ending up like some few others.

I would also imagine the mods are tired of chain warns to flame wars, right? Blocking can easily prevent the war, = less warns = Less bans

So yeah. Thoughts?

+1 i agree, it will be useful.

(inb4 some noob says on ur suggestion, "omg u suck" then blocks u so u cant reply)

+1 i agree, it will be useful.

(inb4 some noob says on ur suggestion, "omg u suck" then blocks u so u cant reply)

Also needs a 'Report User' to alert a mod, so we don't have to get involved ourselves

• Disallows them to reply to your posts
  • Disallows them to comment on your suggestions

This is extremely problematic as allowing this would greatly reduce the amount of transparency in the suggestion system. Suggestors can just block particular users that provide counterproof or constructive feedback on their suggestions and make their suggestions seem more legit by effectively removing negative comments.

This is extremely problematic as allowing this would greatly reduce the amount of transparency in the suggestion system. Suggestors can just block particular users that provide counterproof or constructive feedback on their suggestions and make their suggestions seem more legit by effectively removing negative comments.

I'll change it then, however there should be a way to prevent them from posting in some way, or perhaps they are just hiding posts?

While I'm all for a block, it could also help if you weren't goaded so easily.

I'm trying to work on it

Most of the "Flamewars" happen with new people to the site, so adding a block feature wouldn't do anything that ignoring someone for about 10 minutes couldn't do.

If flamewars were really that much of an issue there would be better ways to combat it than adding a block feature.

The main problem I have with a block feature on the main site, however, is that it would give people the ability to censor other people, which would create a multitude of issues.

This would both make it easier to manipulate prices, as people would be able to censor the opinions of people who they dislike / provide evidence against them. Mods warning comments already creates enough backlash from uninformed people, imagine the connotations that would come with every user being able to censor the opinions of others to a degree?

It would go against what this site stands for.

I'd rather flamewars to corruption, and I'm sure the mods would too.

Suggester blocks people that provides counterproof (he posted the proof after he was blocked). Suggestion closed due counterproof. Suggester will say WTF?

No I dont see this feature to be easily implemented and useful. 

You can always just discuss about prices and proof and thats it?

Possibly just disable you being able to see their comments, whilst everyone else can see them? Although I can still see this being problematic, if someone posts counterproof you wont be able to see it.

Possibly just disable you being able to see their comments, whilst everyone else can see them? Although I can still see this being problematic, if someone posts counterproof you wont be able to see it.

backpack.tf isn't a site based around socializing, it's based around providing approximate yet accurate prices to the community. The priority of values should thereby be that the accurate representation of prices > stopping children from getting angry over the internet. The accurate representation of prices shouldn't be compromised because of someones lack of self control.

Alright, I'm tired of getting banned for Flame wars;

So I request a 'Block user' ability; which mainly would;

• Block every trace of them except their suggestions, suggestion history and profile
  • Hides any of their replies to your comments (Could use some code for the counter-suggest thing)
  • Reduce Flame Wars by 1000% as you can easily block them and done, flame war over (they can't reply to your posts :P)

It would also get rid of those people you find so irritably annoying when they decide to start a war or contradict you at every corner.

I would use this so amazingly much, filtering out the people I don't want to get messed with and leaving me with the rest of people whose necks I don't want snapped, effectively giving me less warns, bans and to prevent myself from ending up like some few others.

I would also imagine the mods are tired of chain warns to flame wars, right? Blocking can easily prevent the war, = less warns = Less bans

So yeah. Thoughts?

Then stop retaliating, you're CHOOSING to participate in flame wars.

That's an even worse idea than letting Brad update the forums.

It would also censor out vital criticism, which this site direly needs.

This "block" feature isn't for the site, it's just for YOUR personal use. My advice: Ignore other people, or just stop coming here. Censoring the "media" is a horrible idea that will ultimately backfire.

They're mods, it's their job and they expect nothing less.

Your idea is horrible, a block feature would work the exact opposite of what you wish for it to do. Sure it might stop SOME flame wars, but this is a spreadsheet cooped by mods and community members working together to record sales to update prices of items. This isn't a social media site, a block feature is meaningless. On top of this the only reason you're requesting this is because YOU CHOSE to retaliate towards trolls and cause yourself to get banned multiple times, and you dare blame the mods and the users? The only person to blame is yourself. This block feature would do no good at all to the site. -1

Most of the "Flamewars" happen with new people to the site, so adding a block feature wouldn't do anything that ignoring someone for about 10 minutes couldn't do.

If flamewars were really that much of an issue there would be better ways to combat it than adding a block feature.

Whilst I will agree that most flame wars are initiated by the newer users of the site it doesnt help when many of our regulars fuel the flamewar.

Most of the time a newer user would make a genuine mistake or have a misunderstanding of how things work around here, many of our regulars instead of offering help or explaining what the problem is they either:

a ) Leave a snarky comment

b ) Post "free rep" on the status in an attempt to "rekt" someone

c ) Some condescending comment along the lines of "there is so much proof" when the user suggesting most likely doesnt even know what proof is.

If a user is actually here to troll and disrupt the functions of the site I dont mind regulars "rekt" them as long as it doesnt go too far and if you feel that it is going too far it isnt too hard to ignore them...

• Administrators

I don't think I need to throw my point of view on this. All I need to say has been said by Spicy Ham and SSJ5.  I recently went on a huge debate, and without it I don't think it would open any eyes, including the one I had the debate with and myself along with people who read it. There is no need for block feature on the main site.

This two people have said everything that needed to be said. Like Ham said, I prefer flamewars on suggestions rather than block system.

As for alerting mods, I don't think that is necessary as well since mods themselves visit each and every suggestions, if they see any major problem happening in the suggestion, they can take the necessary action. Also, all mods are on forums as well, just posting an status update to certain suggestion would do the job and does the job actually. If it must be private, PM a certain mod on forums. 

Sorry but I do not support this at all.

I agree we don't need a block function as do the majority.

If I may, not hijack, per se, but re-route this discussion, what about the concept of a report function for the main site? That certainly could prove useful in allowing moderators to be alerted to and target specific problem individuals.

• Administrators

As for alerting mods, I don't think that is necessary as well since mods themselves visit each and every suggestions, if they see any major problem happening in the suggestion, they can take the necessary action. Also, all mods are on forums as well, just posting an status update to certain suggestion would do the job and does the job actually. If it must be private, PM a certain mod on forums. 

Already on this thread ^ ^ ^

I agree we don't need a block function as do the majority.

If I may, not hijack, per se, but re-route this discussion, what about the concept of a report function for the main site? That certainly could prove useful in allowing moderators to be alerted to and target specific problem individuals.

Don't see the point of it either.  :ph34r:

Don't see the point of it either.  :ph34r:

Yes mods visit each and every thread, but that doesn't mean they can stop flame wars from happening, they can only clean up the aftermath.

And, PM'ing on the forums is great! For those of use who use them. A lot of newbies are barely aware we have forums.

Report button would simplify the process massively.

it would be easier to just stop getting into flame wars

In the same way that 'oh, we shouldn't have a police force, it would be easier if everybody just stopped committing crimes.'

People do stupid things. People always have done stupid things, and will continue to do stupid things until the end of time.

If everybody behaved themselves we couldn't need mods at all.

In the same way that 'oh, we shouldn't have a police force, it would be easier if everybody just stopped committing crimes.'

People do stupid things. People always have done stupid things, and will continue to do stupid things until the end of time.

Report Button > Block button I guess?

Because an argument on a forum is equivalent in relevance and magnitude to the crimes prevented by the police.

Don't YOU start with the ridiculous, rubbish, pointless hyperbole

Because an argument on a forum is equivalent in relevance and magnitude to the crimes prevented by the police

Don't YOU start with the ridiculous, rubbish, pointless hyperbole

thats so meta

Archived