Should items from abandoned accounts be collected?

Supore

Hacking abandoned accounts  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should you be allowed to hijack an abandoned account and raffle these items/donate the profit to charity? (no, Charity, not to you. Well, maybe)

So recently, I found this post on a topic, concerning "Glitched items".

On this topic, a member linked to the profile of a user who had obtained a Vintage Mercenary via a glitch, which nobody (yet) knows.

However, the thing I noticed was that this user had a Vintage Ghastlierest Gibus, which is another glitched item (using Steam Support to retrieve the item with a Vintage quality), but is more common. In fact, it even has a price, which is 19-19.5 buds, and if you think about it, that is quite the number if you keep in mind that this could be obtained via a Steam Support exploit.

Sadly, this user has been offline for more than 2 years, so I highly doubt that this user will ever come online again and if the item will ever move, and even if he does, it is highly doubtable that he will even try to sell the item or even remember what TF2 is.

So my question is: should one be allowed to hijack these type of accounts that have been offline/abandoned for a very long time, and raffle these in a free raffle or sell them on the Community Market, and donate it to some type of charity (talking about more than a few Vintage Ghastlierest Gibuses here)? Ofcourse, trading them away for countless buds is out of case, as you could make a ton of profit out of this - it would literally be hijacking.

What's your guys's thoughts on this? Leave them down below or fill out the poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stealing is never justified

Let's take a real world example:

Do you know the shows on National Geographic, in which abandoned garages are put up for auction? Compare that to this situation. Still stealing?

Also, users like these don't even know what the item is worth or even recall ever having the item. Maybe you could leave a few hats in the person's inventory as a thank you, but that would be like leaving a tip in an abandoned restaurant.

I think Valve should auction items on the SCM from abandoned accounts and donate it to a charity.

A few e-mail warnings 1 week ahead of the auction should be sent and the account should be unused for 3 months imo.

I think Valve should auction items on the SCM from abandoned accounts and donate it to a charity.

A few e-mail warnings 1 week ahead of the auction should be sent and the account should be unused for 3 months imo.

Yes, this should be used. I mean, if an account with valueables isn't used, why not help others with them?

Do you know the shows on National Geographic, in which abandoned garages are put up for auction? Compare that to this situation. Still stealing?

That's completely different. You don't pay valve to hold your backpack for you, and you don't sign a contract saying you surrender you backpack if you stop paying for it.

If this were to be implemented it couldn't be retroactively applied, so that vintage merc would still be locked away for all eternity ;-;

That's completely different. You don't pay valve to hold your backpack for you, and you don't sign a contract saying you surrender you backpack if you stop paying for it.

If this were to be implemented it couldn't be retroactively applied, so that vintage merc would still be locked away for all eternity ;-;

Wouldn't this solve the problem?

C'mon people, say why, not just "no" or "yes". This is a discussion subboard.

No bc ur stealing from a dead account. He needs that glitched/god tier/craft # item more than you.

Seriously though, nobody loses here, the guy with the dead account loses stuff he doesn't even know he has, the community get the rare (possibly glitched) items back in the market and valve can earn reputation by donating it to charity. Heck they could even possibly do a storage hunters style see # of items and qualities and bid on a backpack and make a interesting risky way of making profit.

No bc ur stealing from a dead account. He needs that glitched/god tier/craft # item more than you.

Seriously though, nobody loses here, the guy with the dead account loses stuff he doesn't even know he has, the community get the rare (possibly glitched) items back in the market and valve can earn reputation by donating it to charity. Heck they could even possibly do a storage hunters style see # of items and qualities and bid on a backpack and make a interesting risky way of making profit.

Maybe we can even find the #1 AWP...

Not your account => not your business.

If someone wants/ends up a dead account so be it, it was their money.

Honestly I can't understand why you'd feel entitled to have any items whatsoever from whichever account regardless of being dead or not.

TBH anyone that remotely thinks is this justifiable is in my book a potential phisher rationalizing his unqualified actions. 

Honestly I can't understand why you'd feel entitled to have any items whatsoever from whichever account regardless of being dead or not.

They are Valve's items. The community want to be able to obtain them. If the owner legitimately gives one about them he would log into Steam at least 4 times a year.

They are Valve's items. The community want to be able to obtain them. If the owner legitimately gives one about them he would log into Steam at least 4 times a year.

Remotely accessing another user's account without their permission IS against the TOS.

For some reason, people think I mean that I could hack active accounts. I mean, get real here:

- Not active

- User probably got a life while we're stuck here trading ;-;

- Items are worth a fair amount

- Never gets traded again

- It's like money behind a door which nobody has the key of

So why can't you retrieve those items and donate/share them? I don't get it.

For some reason, people think I mean that I could hack active accounts. I mean, get real here:

- Not active

- User probably got a life while we're stuck here trading ;-;

- Items are worth a fair amount

- Never gets traded again

- It's like money behind a door which nobody has the key of

So why can't you retrieve those items and donate/share them? I don't get it.

Remotely accessing another user's account without their permission IS against the TOS.

Also, users like these don't even know what the item is worth or even recall ever having the item. Maybe you could leave a few hats in the person's inventory as a thank you, but that would be like leaving a tip in an abandoned restaurant.

on that show they sell the garages because the owners havent payed the bills to keep the items stocked there.. and yes they are getting warnings

I think it would be completely fair to give people warnings that their account is inactive maybe a year in advanced and once - twice a month then on. Noone in their right mind that had more than 500 dollars worth of stuff on an account and knew it would just ditch their shit.

Other people are seriously here looking for special craft numbers and certain unusuals to collect them and USE them. If someone has a true passion for something noone can have, isnt that sad for the collector? The person that knows the item is back on the market wins their hope back, and the person who ditched steam a year ago+ loses something they didn't even know they had in the first place and were warned that they had it.

I don't know why you guys think this is any different than storage wars, just because they don't pay to store the items there doesn't mean they lose anything less valuable. Like the sets of action figures that get "storage war'd" over that end up being worth thousands and thousands of dollars even though the rent is 50$ a month.

Archived