what to do with the dropping prices of unusuals

Christley </3 Peelz

take for example this thread: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51b71500ba2536ff1500002c

13 days, lost 8% of its value.

no this isnt a thread about a longterm fix, that suggestion already exist. im talking about what we're gonna do until its fixed.

should you be allowed to resuggest with the same proof as you did less than a month ago for the same range you suggested then just because it has dropped so much in price or should we leave it dropping?

Woifi has suggested uncoupling the USD value of Earbuds from the barter value of Earbuds and using the USD value for unusual hats. I support the idea, but it might be a while before Brad can implement it.

Woifi has suggested uncoupling the USD value of Earbuds from the barter value of Earbuds and using the USD value for unusual hats. I support the idea, but it might be a while before Brad can implement it.

yeah, thats the longterm suggestion. i meant in the meantime

Suggest new prices in the mean time. Prices have to stay accurate, regardless of a fix coming or not in the future.

Suggest new prices in the mean time. Prices have to stay accurate, regardless of a fix coming or not in the future.

so i can suggest with the same proof used the last time if i suggested it in the same month? and no new proof has been aquired?

.... Prices have to stay accurate, regardless of a fix coming or not in the future.

That's basically impossible under the current circumstances. As soon as something is accepted the currencies change a week later. Any price that is more than a month old is very out of date in most cases.

(Speaking only of unusuals of course)

so i can suggest with the same proof used the last time if i suggested it in the same month? and no new proof has been aquired?

If the proof from the last suggestion is still the most recent, then you use it.

If the proof from the last suggestion is still the most recent, then you use it.

An offer of 4 buds on an hat from three weeks ago was worth 88 keys.  The same offer now is worth maybe 100 keys depending on whether you want to adjust for the change in the price of keys.  At that time the key was 5 ref flat.  If two different unusuals were priced at 2 buds but one was priced 1 month before the other, the price is not the same.  Would the offers made on the older priced unusual be made today as the buyer no considers the value change of their currency.

In the 3 week ago example:

3 weeks ago,

1 key = 5 ref

1 bud = 22 keys or 110 ref

Today

1 key = 5.33 ref

1 bud = 24.5 keys or 130.66 ref

That currency can be spent on flipping trades that would have yielded even more keys/metal.  Unless you are quick-buying the unusual for 30% + off, the unusual can't yield that.

An offer of 4 buds on an hat from three weeks ago was worth 88 keys.  The same offer now is worth maybe 100 keys depending on whether you want to adjust for the change in the price of keys.  At that time the key was 5 ref flat.  If two different unusuals were priced at 2 buds but one was priced 1 month before the other, the price is not the same.  Would the offers made on the older priced unusual be made today as the buyer no considers the value change of their currency.

In the 3 week ago example:

3 weeks ago,

1 key = 5 ref

1 bud = 22 keys or 110 ref

Today

1 key = 5.33 ref

1 bud = 24.5 keys or 130.66 ref

That currency can be spent on flipping trades that would have yielded even more keys/metal.  Unless you are quick-buying the unusual for 30% + off, the unusual can't yield that.

When converting keys to buds, use whatever price buds were when the offer was made. Do not convert buds into keys. Keep offers made in buds in buds.

When converting keys to buds, use whatever price buds were when the offer was made. Do not convert buds into keys. Keep offers made in buds in buds.

Brad is doing that automatically by linking it to the dollar, no need to convert old prices. 

More over, buyers aren't going to do that.  They, to no fault of their own, believe the price is a "current" expression of value.  If you do as you are suggesting it is misleading.  An unusual seller and a buyer agree on a price one month ago.  It is unlikely that both would agree today.  The buyer will argue that his buds cost more to get than one month ago.  A little while back the seller would have argued that the bud doesn't have the buying power it did when it was trading at 27 keys and would ask for more than the list price.

Brad is doing that automatically by linking it to the dollar, no need to convert old prices. 

More over, buyers aren't going to do that.  They, to no fault of their own, believe the price is a "current" expression of value.  If you do as you are suggesting it is misleading.  An unusual seller and a buyer agree on a price one month ago.  It is unlikely that both would agree today.  The buyer will argue that his buds cost more to get than one month ago.  A little while back the seller would have argued that the bud doesn't have the buying power it did when it was trading at 27 keys and would ask for more than the list price.

so if i offer 30 keys for an item one day, and then a month later my offer would be worth 25 keys? why? i just offered 30 keys. i didnt offer in cash. of course if i offered in cash it would be lower when bud prices rise. but not when i didnt. my keys which doesnt move in price should lose value because buds are worth more

Brad's fix is probably not coming any time soon as he has told us mods that it will be a lot of work for him to do. In the mean time, to evaluate offers made in keys, use the value of buds that our pricelist reported at the time of the offer.

so if i offer 30 keys for an item one day, and then a month later my offer would be worth 25 keys? why? i just offered 30 keys. i didnt offer in cash. of course if i offered in cash it would be lower when bud prices rise. but not when i didnt. my keys which doesnt move in price should lose value because buds are worth more

The buying power of those keys changed.  In the current market conditions, the keys would buy more today and it would be foolish to pay that out without considering.  You are trying to argue that the value of the unusual increased without a single one being sold, hypothetically.  A three bud hat 1.5 months ago cost more keys then because the bud was 27 while today its 24 and was 22.  The cancer hats priced in keys would be unfair as those keys buy more now.  If a 14 key hat has a price that is 1 month old it is obviously invalid.  12 keys today buy the same as 14 did 1 month ago. 

Your asking people to pay more than when the price was accepted.

Brad's fix is probably not coming any time soon as he has told us mods that it will be a lot of work for him to do. In the mean time, to evaluate offers made in keys, use the value of buds that our pricelist reported at the time of the offer.

As I said, it is not for the regular unusual trader that I show concern.  The infrequent buyer (dream hat player) believes the price guide is a "current" expression of price, they trust bp.tf.  It is more important to have consideration for those buyers than anyone else.  That is why a guide like this exists.  If its not for those buyers than it is unnecessary as regular traders in unusuals already do research on values.  Brad was right to have done it this way and should not change it.

As I said, it is not for the regular unusual trader that I show concern.  The infrequent buyer (dream hat player) believes the price guide is a "current" expression of price, they trust bp.tf.  It is more important to have consideration for those buyers than anyone else.  That is why a guide like this exists.  If its not for those buyers than it is unnecessary as regular traders in unusuals already do research on values.  Brad was right to have done it this way and should not change it.

If anyone is using our prices as absolute or current values for anything, then they are using the pricelist incorrectly. Our pricelist has the disclaimer that the prices are suggested values only and may not be current. Anyone who chooses to ignore that disclaimer does so at their own risk.

If anyone is using our prices as absolute or current values for anything, then they are using the pricelist incorrectly. Our pricelist has the disclaimer that the prices are suggested values only and may not be current. Anyone who chooses to ignore that disclaimer does so at their own risk.

Than it has no purpose at all if everyone has to go research every price anyway.  People check the list because they think it is accurate on some level.  Whenever I see an unusual with B/O prices above bp.tf I feel its a rip off and I argue most people do.

Than it has no purpose at all if everyone has to go research every price anyway.  People check the list because they think it is accurate on some level.  Whenever I see an unusual with B/O prices above bp.tf I feel its a rip off and I argue most people do.

I suggest that you stop doing that. Our prices are not meant to constrain the market, but to reflect past sales and offers. The market is free to change as it will and that means letting buyers and sellers offer or ask whatever price they want.

Archived