Why do people say macs are bad?

The Radiated Banana

Everytime someone posts a problem with their computer and mentions they use a mac, they always make fun of it. Why do you guys think macs are bad?

I personally think they are great apart from being overpriced, but there are some pc's that are overpriced too (alienware, razer).

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a Mac, and I love them as well. They do their job, and seem to last forever. 

The only reason that comes to mind is the ability to only play certain games, where PCs can play all of em'. Other than that, I think it's the price. They're fairly overpriced, yes, but they're solid devices. 

I've got one and that's what I use. I didn't buy it, but if I did buy a computer, I would build a PC. I love the GUI but that's about the only benefit besides the very small risk for viruses. For gaming, it lacks so far behind PCs. I can't upgrade it, stuck with relatively low frames, and can only ever run half if the games I want, simply because devs don't spend the time or money creating games for Macs. Other software is very hard to find, and its hard learning windows at school and trying the same at home.

Fanboys tend to not realise that other people might have different needs and preferences than they do, so that's the easiest explaination I could give you.

Everytime someone posts a problem with their computer and mentions they use a mac, they always make fun of it. Why do you guys think macs are bad?

I personally think they are great apart from being overpriced, but there are some pc's that are overpriced too (alienware, razer).

Generally speaking those that hate them are 1 of 2 things, IMO.

1) Uninformed

2) Fanboy/bandwagoner

Macs are not the end all be all of computing. While they can be fiddled with and configured to make it damn near AIO, no machine - mac or PC regardless of the config (multiboot, hardware etc) - is the perfect solution.

If you think about it though, most that hate them are more a gamer than anything else, power user, coder, admin, etc. And as we all know from live game chat vids on youtube, who screams the loudest? Whats one of the things PC does FAR BETTER than macs? Gaming. Don't get me wrong, that isnt the only reason by any means. A lot prefer Windows or Nix to Mac for other things. I used to hate on mac because of my past expereince with pre-OSX generation. Since then it has gotten better, a lot better in just about all aspects from pre-OSX.

I have a rMBP with a dedicated 650m. Its triple booted with Win7, Mavs and Slackware. I use it everyday all day for work and personal use. For me it is perfect mix of administration capabilities and universal OS need, whether it be for time killing, gaming, etc. However, when i feel the need to truly get into the zone and game for hours I have my windows/slackware desktop for that.

Sure you can, I doubled my Macbook's RAM. 

Not anymore with the new soldered retinas and airs. Nothing can be upgraded now, SSD and memory are both soldered to the mobo. Kind of a dick move on Apple's part but when has Apple done anything to save consumers money?

Mac's shit, fking overheating issues after 2 years

I can't play Minecraft on it, would always crash due to overheating issues

Oh yeah also the specs not that great for playing games

You should try out some dust-off spray, any computer will overheat if you don't clean it over a 2 year period.

And it seems like you've missed a very critical point, you don't buy a Mac to play games.

1. Get a newer/better mac, pc computers have experienced overheating issues before too. Dont act like only macs do it

2. How old is ur mac to not be able to run minecraft

"Apple offers a number of purchasing options for its MacBook Pro lineup, the most notable being a discrete graphics processing unit made by NVIDIA, a feature unique to the 15-inch variant. The base model relies on Intel's Iris Pro Graphics setup, which hasn't changed from 2013.

1x1-white.jpg

For testing purposes, we went with the entry-level discrete GPU version that comes with a 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD standard. Additional options for this specific model include a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core processor for an extra $200 and 1TB of flash storage for $500. 

The base model 15-inch MacBook Pro with Intel's integrated Iris Pro Graphics comes in at $1,999 and sports a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. Customers can upgrade the CPU to either a 2.5GHz or 2.8GHz Core i7 processor and select from 512GB and 1TB SSD storage options. " (Source: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/07/review-apples-mid-2014-15-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display )

1. Get a newer/better mac, pc computers have experienced overheating issues before too. Dont act like only macs do it

2. How old is ur mac to not be able to run minecraft

"Apple offers a number of purchasing options for its MacBook Pro lineup, the most notable being a discrete graphics processing unit made by NVIDIA, a feature unique to the 15-inch variant. The base model relies on Intel's Iris Pro Graphics setup, which hasn't changed from 2013.[/size]

1x1-white.jpg

For testing purposes, we went with the entry-level discrete GPU version that comes with a 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD standard. Additional options for this specific model include a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core processor for an extra $200 and 1TB of flash storage for $500. [/size]The base model 15-inch MacBook Pro with Intel's integrated Iris Pro Graphics comes in at $1,999 and sports a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. Customers can upgrade the CPU to either a 2.5GHz or 2.8GHz Core i7 processor and select from 512GB and 1TB SSD storage options. " (Source: [/size]http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/07/review-apples-mid-2014-15-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display )

Lol I used the first MacBook and the cheapest one ;(

I used my HP Laptop for 4 years and no sign of overheating. Only problem that it's too old to run games, I used to run Minecraft

Lol I used the first MacBook and the cheapest one ;(

I used my HP Laptop for 4 years and no sign of overheating. Only problem that it's too old to run games, I used to run Minecraft

lol then that explains a lot.

mac is basically not so suitable for gaming... some downloading of games cause error.. and those resoultion is not the same as the others when playing games like tf2,comapred to a normal computer

Because I don't mix movies/make videos/do the stuff macs are intended for.

Then there's the fact that most things aren't mac compatible.

The interface confuses me (but that's a personal issue)

Then there's the OS. Mac utilizes a more closed OS which prevents users from modding it at all (and is one of the reasons why it is hard to get a virus on one.). PC has a more open one that allows for some modding. (Personally I want to learn Linux)

Then there's the price. I can build a much better PC for much cheaper. If stuff needs to be updated, just buy a new part and install it. If you need to upgrade a Mac's hardware, you need to buy a new goddam computer.

There is not a bad product, just a bad price.

My only issue is that I have had windows so long that the mac layout is alien to me now.

There is not a bad product, just a bad price.

My only issue is that I have had windows so long that the mac layout is alien to me now.

Feel free to find an ultrabook with a PCIe ssd, 1440p or higher resolution, excellent battery life (7-9 hours--15 vs 13"), an excellent keyboard and trackpad, and a strong yet light/small design for less than the price of a mac.

Have fun. 

Because I don't mix movies/make videos/do the stuff macs are intended for.

Then there's the fact that most things aren't mac compatible.

The interface confuses me (but that's a personal issue)

Then there's the OS. Mac utilizes a more closed OS which prevents users from modding it at all (and is one of the reasons why it is hard to get a virus on one.). PC has a more open one that allows for some modding. (Personally I want to learn Linux)

Then there's the price. I can build a much better PC for much cheaper. If stuff needs to be updated, just buy a new part and install it. If you need to upgrade a Mac's hardware, you need to buy a new goddam computer.

Because its possible to upgrade a windows laptop's cpu or gpu....Or anything other than Ram/HDD. 

The graphics may be nice. But the price tag on it.

I can get a windows computer and run games 4x better.

Also, mac isn't designed for games, more for graphics.

The graphics may be nice. But the price tag on it.

Feel free to find an ultrabook with a PCIe ssd, 1440p or higher resolution, excellent battery life (7-9 hours--15 vs 13"), an excellent keyboard and trackpad, and a strong yet light/small design for less than the price of a mac.

Have fun. 

People that use Windows as it was the first system they used > hate Mac

People that use Mac as it was the first system they used > hates Windows

That's kind of how the majority I know choose their preference for computer systems.

Archived