Saxxy Awards 2014 results + opinions

Zefrom

Saxxy Awards 2014 finalists and winners

Action: I was disappointed that Offblest didn't make it to the finals but however Rivalry Rush did and also won

Drama: Winner's entry was very good and moving and he (Deathray) deserved the winnER title. How the hell did Skyfortress get to the finals of drama? It has more actions than drama, wtf

Short: Was hoping a Funny get to the finals but no

Comedy: Animator Vs Animation get to the finals but never won.

Best Overall: Animator Vs Animation deserved it! Cya Ferhod (creator of the vid) in Seattle

I wanted defect_ to win, the dramas always get me and for me the Animator Vs Animation vid wasnt that good (better than I could do tho :P)

Animation vs. Animator...won best overall??
What the hell. Judges were dr0nk? Or blindfolded and picked winners at random?

-Completely unoriginal, worn-out idea. What, 8 years later?

-Let me re-iterate: This film brought nothing new. As soon as I read the title, I knew the plot.

-Decent graphics and animation I suppose, but nothing special, never mind spectacular

-Not a bad 2 minutes and change, and I don't mean to hate, but I don't think it even compared to the competition.

The maker's own words: "Something happened that I never in my wildest imagination would think: I won Best Overall. I am completely stunned by this fact, because there were several others who I personally think deserved this title a lot more than I did. (Ex. The Jewel Escapade, Rivalry Rush, etc, go watch them.) There's nothing I can do about this though, so I just have to accept it."

"There's nothing I can do about this though, so I just have to accept it"

lel. That's about how I feel about it, too. :S Congrats to 'em, and good on 'em for being humble about it, though.

Next year, hide the booze from the judges

^That one was my personal favorite :3

Also, this one

how can this not being on the nominees this should be the best overall without question.

I gues they didn't want to nominate pyro projects for 2 years in the row.

Animator vs. Animation is not a new idea :/

I don't like how it won, wasn't that creative.

Niether was Rivalry Rush. One episode of a cartoon series many seem to hate on was SFM'd with TF2 characters. The whole script was copied. 
I'm not saying that it was bad, hell no, the animation itself was amazing.

I'm glad TF2 in 60 seconds won something, it was my favorite entry.  Just as a general question though, how long have dota2 entries been allowed?  This is actually my first saxxy awards and it just seemed really out of place among all the tf2 videos.  The jewel heist video was also great though, so I guess dota2 stuff works for supporting props.   

Yeah, I haven't seen all of the entires yet, but I did think this year's winners were something of a step down from years past.

For Action, Rivalry Rush was okay, but it felt more like a comedy video at times. I was rooting on Wrench in the Gears to win (though I didn't watch the other two). That one had fantastic animation (and mech designs), and was a real rush from start to finish. Not to mention, it was all made by a single person, which is insanely impressive given how many of the winners were team efforts this year.

Shorts seemed just about right. The winner was a good parody of what the game has become in recent years. I was kinda rooting for the entry that was made in 1 day to win, though. That would have been one hell of a coup.

Still need to catch up on Comedy and Drama. _DEFECT was creative, and a pretty intense experience, though I've also heard good things about Sky Fortress and the jewel heist vid. About a Scout probably could have entered as a short and won, and I assume the other comedy videos were superior. Though Musetrigger's Scout impersonation was spot-on, and the most memorable part of the video. Of course, he was also the Scout VA in Rivalry Rush... does he get two Saxxys for that?

Animator vs. Animation, simply put, wasn't on the same level as Story of a Sentry or Li'l Guardian Pyro. Good video, but not deserving of Best Overall, and I feel that VALVe chose it because it basically amounted to free self-masturbation, advertising their own SFM service. Not to mention, the ending scene, which is Meet the Scout's ending in reverse.

My question is how did Heavy's Game get that far, when it's basically Pixar's Geri's Game with a slightly different ending? I thought Saxxy's were about ORIGINAL concepts.

My question is how did Heavy's Game get that far, when it's basically Pixar's Geri's Game with a slightly different ending? I thought Saxxy's were about ORIGINAL concepts.

Same way with Animator vs Animation, I guess :3

Niether was Rivalry Rush. One episode of a cartoon series many seem to hate on was SFM'd with TF2 characters. The whole script was copied. 
I'm not saying that it was bad, hell no, the animation itself was amazing.

Rivalry Rush doesn't get as much rotten fruit thrown at it because it didn't win Best Overall, but still a valid point.

I r8 judges wankers/8

I am disappointed, overall. :/

Archived