My local Gamestop is cancelling Smash Bros 3DS Midnight Launch

Speedbump

Well, today I went to Gamestop to deposit a preorder for Smash Bros for a friend and earlier like a week and a half ago they confirmed a midnight release was scheduled with a demo tourney and stuff. Now, they informed me that it is cancelled due to "Nintendo cancelling all Midnight release events from all companies." and "their online servers won't be up til Friday anyways." Is this a load of BS? Have you guys encountered this? 

EDIT: Quick thought, my friend believes my Gamestop is saying this due to the possible overcrowding for the Demo tourney and event launch. Could be true it's a fairly small store.

So they cancelled the midnight release and the tourny because the online servers won't be up until Friday? Same reason? Or was there another reason for the midnight release?

So they cancelled the midnight release and the tourny because the online servers won't be up until Friday? Same reason? Or was there another reason for the midnight release?

Well, from my understanding the tourney, which only uses the demo of the game, was a Gamestop promo they were running along with the announced Midnight release but now all is gone due to like I stated before "Nintendo cancelling all Midnight release events from all companies" and no explanation given why and the online server issue sounds like a lame thought idea the employee had.

On a somewhat related note. How good was that Demo?

Fairly good, somewhat short lived due to it limiting you to only 5 characters and one stage and its Final Destination variant. I got my good amount of fun with it and understanding the game's speed and feeling.

Weird. I was watching someone play the new Smash on a Stream today that looked like it was against other players. But idk, I watched for like 10 mins. 

Weird. I was watching someone play the new Smash on a Stream today that looked like it was against other players. But idk, I watched for like 10 mins. 

It was the Japanese Version

Archived