Could Hong Kong seperate from China?

F  CHARLIE

It's really not a choice they can make is it?

If ever Hong Kong did become a country and seperated from China. China's economy will be hurt quite a bit, considering Hong Kong is a major trading port for China.

Wouldn't be surprised if Hong Kong is not a country by 2030. 

It's a rough conclusion, but if Singapore did it long ago. Then I'm not surprise that Hong Kong can be it's own country. 

completely different context. hong kong isn't a financial burden nor is china facing money problems.

Do you really think china will let go? Russia didn't let go of Ukraine by supporting the rebels against the West government. They think they are still fighting with arab nations. They should open their eyes to see that they are trying to begin a war with communists. Wrong step by the west it might not end well. But non the less even if china conducts a military intervention I wouldn't shed a tear as the protestors are the rotten fruits in the box.

Do you really think china will let go? Russia didn't let go of Ukraine by supporting the rebels against the West government. They think they are still fighting with arab nations. They should open their eyes to see that they are trying to begin a war with communists. Wrong step by the west it might not end well. But non the less even if china conducts a military intervention I wouldn't shed a tear as the protestors are the rotten fruits in the box.

Don't understand any of this statement.

China made an agreement to allow Hong Kong self governance and have now stated they will no longer honor that agreement. Hong Kong was a possession of the United Kingdom for 150 years and are a very different place from the rest of China. They have the legal right to self governance. There is tens of thousands of US citizens living in Hong Kong as well as many of thousands of other people from different countries. I don't like how China is warning the international community that this is an internal affair.

It's a rough conclusion, but if Singapore did it long ago. Then I'm not surprise that Hong Kong can be it's own country.

Since when did Singapore come into this? Malaysian's seperation is not really the same with this situation

Malaysia don't need Singapore because of they already have a good economy but want to merge due to the Communist threat. Singaporean thought they were going to die after the seperation

I just have a short thing to say

China

Would love to see Hong Kong split and become independent

tibet

I think Hong Kong is different. What is sad is that China is using the unsophisticated line "foreign influence" as if the people of Hong Kong would never think of doing this on their own.

Since when did Singapore come into this? Malaysian's seperation is not really the same with this situation

Malaysia don't need Singapore because of they already have a good economy but want to merge due to the Communist threat. Singaporean thought they were going to die after the seperation

I just have a short thing to say

China

Would love to see Hong Kong split and become independent

Didn't do research. I'm sorry ;(

HK is a part of China. China could and did warn the world not to intervene in their internal affairs. As any country would do.

Also, do you notice something similar with past events? Got a clue who's behind all of this? 

Yep.

HK is a part of China. China could and did warn the world not to intervene in their internal affairs. As any country would do.

Also, do you notice something similar with past events? Got a clue who's behind all of this? 

Yep.

China has violated an agreement it made with the United Kingdom and the people of Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a species region with a different set of rules than mainland. Beijing should have known this was going to happen. I believe Hong Kong should receive support from the international community.

1. To show that agreements have meaning regardless. I know China doesn't like to honor it's agreements but we need to start holding them to a higher standard.

2. The world is likely better off with a democratic China that respects human rights and this issue can put China on a path that may end up there.

China made an agreement to allow Hong Kong self governance and have now stated they will no longer honor that agreement. Hong Kong was a possession of the United Kingdom for 150 years and are a very different place from the rest of China. They have the legal right to self governance. There is tens of thousands of US citizens living in Hong Kong as well as many of thousands of other people from different countries. I don't like how China is warning the international community that this is an internal affair.

Remember China is a communist nation.

LIES, damn lies!

the Basic Law of Hong Kong, was drafted in agreement with China and UK to govern the city of 7.2 million upon its return to Chinese sovereignty in 1997.

The Basic Law

Article 45

The Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall be selected by election or through consultations held locally and be appointed by the Central People's Government.

The method for selecting the Chief Executive shall be specified in the light of the actual situation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and in accordance with the principle of gradual and orderly progress. The ultimate aim is the selection of the Chief Executive by universal suffrage upon nomination by a broadly representative nominating committee in accordance with democratic procedures.

This is exactly what is being implemented by Hong Kong. Do your research before you post your anarchist propaganda for Hong Kong.

The 'peaceful' protest is an illegal act of blocking of government buildings, shutting down Hong Kong major roads and preventing majority of the local people from enjoying their normal daily lives. Commiting illegal activities and disturbing of peace is your form of democracy? Please keep that form of 'democracy' in your country. It has no place here in Hong Kong. In fact, local Hong Kong people are very fed up of these illegal activities and starting to get impatience with these protest. Dont try spinning your case by saying those oppose the protest are Hong Kong Triad. I am a business man from UK working in Hong Kong and I was amongst the anti protestors. Amongst the anti protestors were just alot of local people fed up with a version of democracy (that aims to shut down Hong Kong) being shuffed up our lives.

Your other posting: 'China has violated an agreement it made with the United Kingdom and the people of Hong Kong.'

yet again, how can you just make up some rubbish without no knowledge of the basic law and no knowledge of what is been implemented. What part of the agreement did China violated?!?!

Hong Kong is and will be part of China and your version of Libya, Syria, Egypt democracy will not have a slightest chance here, because if you know anything about the Basic Law, you will know why you need to look elsewhere to infest your death and destruction in the name of democracy.

Oh, final word, if you feel like calling me a commie or anything that makes you feel a bit more self-satisfied, then call me that, as if wanting peace and stability equals that, then let me be that.

LIES, damn lies!

the Basic Law of Hong Kong, was drafted in agreement with China and UK to govern the city of 7.2 million upon its return to Chinese sovereignty in 1997.

The Basic Law

Article 45

The Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall be selected by election or through consultations held locally and be appointed by the Central People's Government.

Please understand your own statement;

This part - 

"selected by election or through consultations held locally"

States that it is Hong Kongs choice first.

This part - 

"appointed by the Central People's Government." 

States that China appoints the person after Hong Kong has chosen that person.

China's central government is saying that it wants to control the pool of people that Hong Kong gets to choose from.  That is a violation of the agreement.

I also don't see how these demonstrations are illegal.

(from Basic Law) \/
  • The freedom of the person of Hong Kong residents shall be inviolable. No Hong Kong resident shall be subjected to arbitrary or unlawful arrestdetention or imprisonment. Arbitrary or unlawful search of the body of any resident or deprivation or restriction of the freedom of the person shall be prohibited. Torture of any resident or arbitrary or unlawful deprivation of the life of any resident shall be prohibited.[5]

They have the right to protest and they should.  Mainland will obviously try to subvert Hong Kong's rights as it is "inconvenient" for them to have two political systems in one country and they sure as hell are not going to introduce greater freedoms to the mainland.

I don't know why I would call you a "commie" and I understand some people being more interested in not having protests as it disrupts their day.  Those people may be less concerned about their civil rights as it pertains to this and that is foolish.  Many of the opposition to the protests may have been mainlander's or others who don't care about the difference and some have reported that some may be hired by the central government to show a pro Beijing presence.

"selected by election or through consultations held locally"

You have clearly simply taken the first phrase of the law and totally ignored the second part which states:

The method for selecting the Chief Executive shall be specified in the light of the actual situation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and in accordance with the principle of gradual and orderly progress. The ultimate aim is the selection of the Chief Executive by universal suffrage upon nomination by a broadly representative nominating committee in accordance with democratic procedures.

Notice GRADUAL AND ORDERLY PROGRESS. and nomination by a broadly representative nominating committee dont seem to register at all with you.

your argument using the basic law for the demonstration being legal is again mid boggling.

Where in the basic law and indeed, in a democractic society, does it state:

* residents have right to shut down major roads in Hong Kong.

* prevent government offices from operating. i.e shutting of main government buildings and preventing workers from entering the government building. Any vechiles entering the building for replenishing of supplies MUST be searched by these thugs.

I cannot imagine the White House or the UK parliment allowing such illegal activities for a single second.

In fact local peoples' right to freedom of movement has been voilated. I.e They are using anti-democratic methods to achieve their version of democracy?!?

'They have the right to protest and they should'

These people are not protest. They are shutting down Hong Kong. They are borderlining anarchism.

'Mainland will obviously try to subvert Hong Kong's rights'

This statement makes as much sense as USA is obviously trying to destabilize Hong Kong. Hong Kong is govern by the Basic Law, and not by China and certain wont be affected by what USA says.

'they sure as hell are not going to introduce greater freedoms to the mainland.'

Wow, guess you dont know much about HK history either. Let me enlighten you a bit. UK over its hundred year rule has never given HK people the right to vote. Yet now, China enables HK people the right to vote, less freedom has been permitted?!? Are you suggestion, China should stick to the original UK 'democractic system for HK?

'Those people may be less concerned about their civil rights as it pertains to this and that is foolish.'

Wow are you suggesting I am less concerned about my civil right?! So I am not concern about my freedom of movement?!? Not agreeing with illegal activities doesnot make me less democratic.

Your final sentence is again ignorant if not offensive. Did you know there are reports in Hong Kong (as of Friday) that the going rate of sitting in the middle of the street with the protestors is $2,000? It is a dirty game being played, dont discredit democracy with sly dirty propagandas.

Look, it seem like you have good intention but your understanding of Hong Kong and what is happening seem to be from western/pro western media, my understanding is from living in Hong Kong as well as growing up in UK and I have alot of hard working Hong Kong staffs so this is quite personal to me. Democracy can be a very good thing, but dont discredit democracy by trying to associate illegal activities with it, as alot of those majority silent is getting real tired with this version of democracy. You have no idea how big this silent majority are.

@anphung

You still misunderstand the meaning of the law. As of now I will assume you are a pro Beijing troll who is anoyed with tje protestors and ignore you.

Archived