Would paintable buds ruin the TF2 market/economy

The Double Agent

Maxes are Paintable, and no one cares :s

Pretty much this; making buds paintable wouldn't do anything damning to the economy in the slightest. Hell, if anything, it would probably raise their demand since people would actually wear them cosmetically instead of just solely being a currency. 

I don't think it would matter much as far as the appeal of buds as a cosmetic goes.  People hardly wear buds these days.  If there was a 4th cosmetic slot, that would probably change. 

Buds are used primarily as a currency.  The appeal of using something like buds as a currency is that while they do fluctuate over time, they all have a relatively fixed value at any given point.  Throwing paints into the mix would complicate things.  I personally would refuse to pay anything extra for painted buds, while some people would insist on an extra key or two for their black painted earbuds.  I feel this would slightly undermine buds as a currency, because suddenly there would be something to differentiate one pair of buds from another beyond a random level and an item history that hardly anyone cares about. 

I think GabeN would take a poo on everyone's hats, thus causing the crash of Severed Earbills (A League of Legends 2 Promo) and giving everybody the massed flies effect on their hat.

Pink buds would actually be really nice. :P Imagine people asking 1 key more for white paint because "it doesn't look any different, but it's worth more".

I want to paint my Sneaky Spats of Sneaking white for that same reason XD

When it comes to high value items or common currency items. Paint doesn't even affect the value, some users might pay more while others will count them as if they were paintless. 

As other users have mentioned, it might in fact increase demand. 

I want to paint my Sneaky Spats of Sneaking white for that same reason XD

I was going to say someone offered me white painted Sneaking Spats of Sneaking once. If you check the wiki page, they're exactly the same. i told them no one would pay more for them.

Archived