Can we know how much new metal is generated per week?

Zinshin

This is really a technical question aimed at the behind-the-scenes employees of backpack.tf

Is it reliable to track how many new weapons are added to backpacks per week?

Would posting this information/being this transparent alter the tf2 economy?

Short answer is no.

Most, if not all our stats are from stats.tf which scans bps...etc to be able to scan every bp everyday would take too long not to mention you need to account for people who trade, craft and put their item on scm making it pretty much impossible to acquire an accurate number

Only valve can provide an accurate number (hours played by players on secured servers times average drop... Etc)

It is pretty impossible to get an accurate number. But maybe an estimate.

No guarantee the same same amount of players playing tf2 will be playing again this week.

TF2 has ~60,000 active accounts on average every day (stats on steamdb). Over a week period, they accumulate on average 10 items. To keep things easy, let's say 1% of those drops are hats or other more expensive items.

60,000 * 10 = 600,000 items. 6,000 hats, 594,000 weapons. So, that's 33,000 refined in weapons, plus 6,000 rare items. ~40,000 refined per week would be my guess.

Now, how many of these accounts actually trade and inject in the economy?

TF2 has ~60,000 active accounts on average every day (stats on steamdb). Over a week period, they accumulate on average 10 items. To keep things easy, let's say 1% of those drops are hats or other more expensive items.

60,000 * 10 = 600,000 items. 6,000 hats, 594,000 weapons. So, that's 33,000 refined in weapons, plus 6,000 rare items. ~40,000 refined per week would be my guess.

Now, how many of these accounts actually trade and inject in the economy?

40% of accounts are dead accounts/F2P, so not much

The numbers I used only included active accounts using the average peak every day.  F2P still get drops :)

Also adding in quite a lot of players only play modded servers (haxton/crtiz/randomizer...etc) i.e. unsecured servers so they wont get any drops either :S

Archived