Rumours of Community Server Hijacker.

ChungusJabronie

Hail Boggy B: (From TF2R.com)

To everybody who got removed from my list, read this: http://puu.sh/bFHNx/978983eff7.png Everybody! Avoid quickplay on community servers because there is one (or more, i don't know) infected server that downloads malware to your computer or something. Re-add me if you have been removed by the virus.

People often says that this is a constant rumor that appears every now and then.

And if you guys already know its just gibberish, i apologize for being gullible.

But i think this has to be shared to actually discuss if its true or false.

( Also im not sure if this is the right place for this topic) 

I was actually infected with something after getting off of a TF2 server that caused my Steam client to be deleted by Norton. Fortunately, in the chaos, the hijacker program got deleted as well, and I was able to continue normally, thank god.

i think it is fake, being honest with you.

as i replied to your comment, those stories appear every once in a while.

if it was true, a enormous flaw like that would either be fixed or exploited to hell (and then fixed)

i know tf2 can download files, but i don't think it can autorun them.

i think it is fake, being honest with you.

as i replied to your comment, those stories appear every once in a while.

if it was true, a enormous flaw like that would either be fixed or exploited to hell (and then fixed)

i know tf2 can download files, but i don't think it can autorun them.

It would mainly depend on whether there is a flaw in sound playback or model importing that is exploitable. Many many mp3/wav players have been found to have buffer overflow problems that can be exploited to run arbitrary code (i.e. anything the attacker feels like). It wouldn't particularly surprise me if TF2 had a similar issue actually.

It would mainly depend on whether there is a flaw in sound playback or model importing that is exploitable. Many many mp3/wav players have been found to have buffer overflow problems that can be exploited to run arbitrary code (i.e. anything the attacker feels like). It wouldn't particularly surprise me if TF2 had a similar issue actually.

It can also is calling a MOTD url(like video ads do but you only hear sound not see the ad) and the url being something suspicious.

It can also is calling a MOTD url(like video ads do but you only hear sound not see the ad) and the url being something suspicious.

True Steam browser is shit.

the guy on the reddit post said it was chrome who downloaded the file.

TF2 uses IE as browser, and even if it downloaded on chrome, it wouldn't have ran itself.

the guy on the reddit post said it was chrome who downloaded the file.

TF2 uses IE as browser, and even if it downloaded on chrome, it wouldn't have ran itself.

Keep in mind a lot of people have no idea what they're talking about and blame things which are not at fault, usually because of their own mistake and who are they to admit they make a mistake?

Thank you all for sharing your opinions. :)

I started this topic since my post in the feed raised so much attention that i thought this deserved a place to be discussed properly.

I was actually infected with something after getting off of a TF2 server that caused my Steam client to be deleted by Norton. Fortunately, in the chaos, the hijacker program got deleted as well, and I was able to continue normally, thank god.

That surely must have been quite a spook. Good thing that Norton worked for you D:

Cynexil brings a couple of fair points to the matter at hand. The most logical thing to assume is that these rumors were probably started on childish wars between server owners/groups ( Like BMG+ Vs KSG  ) and they are carried on by uninformed users (like me)

Yet the rest of the guys leave room to think that even if this is just a rumor. The threat still exists. 

I take Slocumruls word on finding decent community servers and staying with a handful of trusty groups instead of going random server match. 

A virus or malware its not the worst thing you can ever get from that...

...You might connect to a kindergarden server. 

Archived