New players and MvM

Greevis

New players and MvM  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mann Up require a canteen?

Whenever I go onto a Mann Up server, odds are that at least one person doesn't have a canteen. That means that they haven't even completed a single mission before. Not even in bootcamp. Personally, I think that this is at the least disrespectful to your team. Most new players end up wasting the time of the players on the server.

Seriously, there needs to be a requirement to have a canteen before being able to play on a Mann Up server.

I agree it may be annoying that new players do not know what they're doing, but try to be positive and help people out, instead. I love MvM mode but it really ticks me off how it's meta or kick. A good spy, pyro or sniper is incredibly useful if played correctly, and i have outdamaged heavies as demoknight.

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to requiring people to at least go through bootcamp to get the canteen which is pretty much essential. 

However even with a canteen, that doesn't guarantee the player will have a clue about how to play. I have over 125 tours played and I've pretty much seen it all with all kinds of wierd players and weapons loadouts that just make you sigh and go wtf...

I personally think that the harder tier missions should only become available after completing the easier ones.  There's too many new players in gear grinder and mecha engine.  

Here's the thing though, some players like myself got our canteens from first playing on a Mann up server, so to make those who don't have it unable to Mann up is a bit unfair. Instead, I suggest just locking them out of any expert/advanced tours until they have completed at least one of the oil spill (intermediate) maps; that way they get at least one map's worth of experience, and they also get their canteen in turn.

This makes me remember a kid who joined our mvm round with no tours no canteen and. He also said buff banner is shit and asked what stock weapons were ;A; Fucking kid's I swear m8

Canteens are craftable; rendering this requirement irrelevant.

If they were willing to spend (waste) 4 scrap crafting the canteen then it signifies quite a bit about their attitude towards MvM. It shows that they have at least that bit of interest towards playing and are more likely to take advice from the "meta players". At least, in theory.

Personally I feel this requirement will help a bit in filtering out the casual players from MvM. It ensures they have at least played a boot camp game once or are really interested in playing MvM. Valve probably has to make boot camp and unofficial servers more well-known to these players because it seems to be that the majority of Mvm-newcomers do not know the difference between boot camp, direct connecting to unofficial servers and the real mvm. I often hear players in unofficial mvm servers asking

"will my tour of duty ticket be consumed after this wave?"

"can I get a botkiller once I complete this entire misison?"

"what's an upgrade station?"

which always gets me because they never fully understand what we hastily try to explain in that undersized text box as the timer counts down from 30 seconds. 

I agree it may be annoying that new players do not know what they're doing, but try to be positive and help people out, instead. I love MvM mode but it really ticks me off how it's meta or kick. A good spy, pyro or sniper is incredibly useful if played correctly, and i have outdamaged heavies as demoknight.

There's no way a 0 tour sniper, spy or pyro is going to be credit to team.

There's no way a 0 tour sniper, spy or pyro is going to be credit to team.

It's possible, I did fairly well my first tour as a pyro. However this usually isn't the case.

But yeah. I'm fine with newbies, as long as they're cooperative. We had this one guy join as a 0-tour engineer on one of the last waves of a Mannhattan mission. All he did was upgrade random weapon stats and get two-way teleporters. At first he didn't want to redo his upgrades, but once we explained it to him it was fine. If they can hold their own, let them stay!

Archived