Price of TF2 Currencies is inconsistent!

{SoM} ✪Mr.Liberty✪

The Price of TF2 Items is INCONSISTENT!

I was doing a few simple calculations for the hell of it, and I realized something is very wrong with the prices of TF2 items. It's all about 3 items. Refined, keys, and tour of duty tickets.

Price of refined - .25 cents for 1. (4 for a dollar.)       Ratio: 4 refined/dollar

Price of a Key - 2.49 (7.44 refined) 3 refined/dollar
In refined/dollar value, a key should be worth TEN REFINED.
Price of a Tour of Duty Ticket (.99 or 3.55 refined) 3.55 refined/dollar
You could buy 2 for 2.00, which is 7.00 refined. Almost enough for a key.
Price of a BUD (19 keys or about 47.30 in keys to dollar value. 140.32 refined, 35.08 in refined/dollar value.) 3.75 refined/dollar

Bud is being sold for 12 dollars cheaper than what it actually should be.

This means that you can buy tour of duty tickets in the store, and trade 2 of them, and some reclaimed for a key. Saving 50 cents. May not seem like much, but it can stack up. And the price of buds is inconsistent too. Anyone think we need some big changes?

In my opinion, refined is a very unreliable currency. As it is made from nothing but weapons, an infinite source.

Keys are bought for 2.49 in real world money, which is a finite source.

1) use normal sized text and remove colours it makes ti so much harder to read.

2) the price on bp.tf is based off paypal not  the scm/store, a key via paypal is ~1.8-1.9usd which roughly balances out with refined. Eg 5$ in vouchers doesnt equal 5$ in real life. Steam money doesnt equal the same as irl

2) the price on bp.tf is based off paypal not  the scm/store, a key via paypal is ~1.8-1.9usd which roughly balances out with refined. Eg 5$ in vouchers doesnt equal 5$ in real life. Steam money doesnt equal the same as irl

You can't see big black text over a white background...

And I can clearly see the red. Don't give me that "not everyone can see like you" crap. Unless your colorblind, you can see it.

Also, I'm saying this because they HAVE TO COME FROM THE MANN CO STORE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Selling a key on PayPal is kinda stupid. Your reselling an item that had to be bought from the Mann Co. Store, for more than what you are selling it for on PayPal. Steam money is money in irl, just put into a digital form. 1.00 in real life = 1.00 in steam wallet funds.

• Administrators

And I can clearly see the red. Don't give me that "not everyone can see like you" crap. Unless your colorblind, you can see it.

Why did you write the descriptions of this thread in big letters? o.o

Ugh... Want the simple version? Prices aren't the same throughout.

Things aren't all black and white as you think. You can't just use simple division to determine value of everything.

And as someone already pointed out, you can buy keys for ~1.80-1.90.

• Administrators

-snip-

You can't compare prices with Mann Co.Store. They are completely different as pointed out by Derpeh here : 

2) the price on bp.tf is based off paypal not  the scm/store, a key via paypal is ~1.8-1.9usd which roughly balances out with refined. Eg 5$ in vouchers doesnt equal 5$ in real life. Steam money doesnt equal the same as irl

-snip-

Two different things. You are completely thinking it the wrongest way possible.

Ugh... Want the simple version? Prices aren't the same throughout.

repeating myself for the second time

"the price on bp.tf is based off paypal not  the scm/store, a key via paypal is ~1.8-1.9usd which roughly balances out with refined. Eg 5$ in vouchers doesnt equal 5$ in real life. Steam money doesnt equal the same as irl"

Have you actually tried reading your parargaph?

Different size texts, spamming of paragraphs and different colours makes it hard to follow eg: How hard is it to read this when it's in a paragraph keep the same format and it's easier for people to follow

What we have here is someone who is just learning the magic of mathematics.  It's a darn shame all this math is wrongly applied.  Money =/= TF2 items.  

also, backpack.tf itself states that it's JUST a guideline, not to be used as a bible. there's no official valve spreadsheet that clearly indicates prices. some people don't use it, and some people treat it like it's the holy grail.

bud = $34

key = $1.85

ref = $0.25 

tickets = $0.85 (ish via paypal, please correct me if wrong)

tf2 trade values:

7.33 ref = 1 key

3.44 ref = 1 ticket (easy to find if you try)

2 tickets + 1 rec (usually on average) = 1 key

1 bud = 18.8 keys

Now paypal maths:

(7+1/3) x 0.25 = $1.83 (wow 2 cents difference, much matters especially if you ever pay fees on paypal, it means nothing)

(3+4/9) x 0.25 = $0.86 (again, 1 cent is not worth complaining about)

2 x 0.86 + (1/3 x 0.25) = $1.8 (if you are lucky enough to not have to add more than 1 rec in metal)

34 / 18.8 = $1.81 (again ~4 cents made, gj no trade backs mate)

so in conclusion, you are a moron.

Steam money is money in irl, just put into a digital form. 1.00 in real life = 1.00 in steam wallet funds.

Another example: go to a walmart/kmart and buy a 1,000,000 voucher and try to buy a house with that. Steam money is only for steam and not everyone wants money on steam i for one would like to cash out.

Paypal is generally accepted and you can transfer your funds into your bank in other words take out money. Scm strips you from this by trapping that money in their system.

Also, I'm saying this because they HAVE TO COME FROM THE MANN CO STORE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Selling a key on PayPal is kinda stupid. Your reselling an item that had to be bought from the Mann Co. Store, for more than what you are selling it for on PayPal. Steam money is money in irl, just put into a digital form. 1.00 in real life = 1.00 in steam wallet funds.

1) He's referring to the general lay-out of your post - it's not good. 

2) Sure, the keys once came from the Mann. Co Store.  Now they're being more commonly sold through private trades via paypal, where nobody spends more than 1.90 (depends on where keys are currently at).  Buds are generally taken at 33-34 (again depending on where they're currently at in relation to keys).   

The valuation works pretty well actually.  When keys are low (as they currently are), it's pretty easy to buy them for 1.80.  When they rise, it's more common to buy at 1.85 - 1.95 depending on how high they are.   This coincides with how much keys are in ref (e.g. 7.33 or 8.11) which has absolutely nothing to do with the Mann Co store.   

I'd disagree with everything you say. Refined is the most stable. In fact it never changes. The value of other items change. Keys and buds fluctuate. The value of hats and weapons change but a Refined will always be 9 scrap or 3 reclaimed. 

What the irl worth of it is has nothing to do with it's ingame value.

Why would anyone want to buy keys from key traders if they sold keys at the same value as the store?
It's also a brilliant thing if you manage to change a digital item for actual money.
You're calculating but not thinking. Use common sense man.

1$ in the real world is equal to 1 steam $ but 1 steam $ is not equal to 1$ in the real world.

Steam money lacks flexibility. It's locked into the system. With paypal you can spend your money on whatever you wish, not just digital items and games.
Let me give you an example
Go to the corner shop closest to you and offer to pay double or triple in steam dollars for a loaf of bread.  
Now go on steam and offer to buy a trader's key for double or triple it's steam store worth with paypal.
After completing both of these actions what will you have? A key or a loaf of bread?
 Case and point.

These are all digital items. Steam isn't going to run out of keys, weapons or hats. In fact how do you think they replace items stolen by phishers or hackers?  They don't go around buying them from traders, they just create them. Ergo the source of all steam items are infinite.

TL/DR Your entire argument is invalid.

Refined is the most stable. In fact it never changes. The value of other items change. [...] but a Refined will always be 9 scrap or 3 reclaimed.

Congratulations, you win 500 internets!

Or lose 500, I'm not even sure any more.

Another big thing the topic creator isn't taking into account is the black market, where typically a person will use a stolen credit card number to buy a shit ton of keys, then sell them off via paypal, effectively laundering the money.

Archived