Thoughts on my build

(ES) Mr. Bigglesworth

I am putting together a list of parts I am going to buy for my new custom rig, and I was looking for thoughts on my final build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - $253.79

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - $29.99

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboar - $129.79

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory - $99.99

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $57.99

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card - $439.99

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case - $55.99

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $78.99

Base Total: $1146.52
Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00
Shipping: $17.05
Total: $1133.57

this is streching my budget almost to the max, so please keep that in mind.

Are you using it for only gaming?  If so what kind of games do you plan on playing?

Also if it was me I would bump the HDD to 2TB (Unless you plan on getting an SSD to go with it or making it a RAID)

Having that high-end of a graphics card is kind-of overkill unless you plan on upgrading to 16GB of memory down the road,  I would go with the Mr. Bigglesworth suggestion, it will save you a few bucks.

Having that high-end of a graphics card is kind-of overkill unless you plan on upgrading to 16GB of memory down the road, 

Definitely not. 8GB is plenty.

8GB is alright but you would have better performance for games if you had the 16GB.  It would spend less time pulling info from your Hdd (unless you have an Sdd).  Personally I would wait and make sure all your parts are up to par with each other.

Nice PSU. Most people always go overboard and get a 750+ watt power supply when they really just need 500-600. 

-build-

Looks good. I would just consider getting a 750w psu (if you can afford it)---IF (and only if) you're considering getting a second 290 down the road. And I'd also plan on getting an SSD down the road when your budget allows as it makes things so much snappier (actually, I would personally go with the ssd first that way I wouldn't have to reinstall windows--but thats not a big issue so, meh). 

P.s. don't count on rebates as they're not guaranteed to go through. 

R9 290 > GTX770 

Are you using it for only gaming?  If so what kind of games do you plan on playing?

Also if it was me I would bump the HDD to 2TB (Unless you plan on getting an SSD to go with it or making it a RAID)

Having that high-end of a graphics card is kind-of overkill unless you plan on upgrading to 16GB of memory down the road,  I would go with the Mr. Bigglesworth suggestion, it will save you a few bucks.

a 1tb hdd is plenty unless he has hundreds of games and videos. I have like 70 games installed and Im only using like 500gb of space. Going with a raid setup really isn't worth it. The slight improvement of windows booting and application opening times isn't worth the much greater risk of losing all the data on the drives set up in raid 0. 

As for the amount of RAM....see below

8GB is alright but you would have better performance for games if you had the 16GB.  It would spend less time pulling info from your Hdd (unless you have an Sdd).  Personally I would wait and make sure all your parts are up to par with each other.

lol no. 8gb is MORE than enough for gaming. Hell, 8gb of Ram is enough for two R9 290s. 

Nice PSU. Most people always go overboard and get a 750+ watt power supply when they really just need 500-600. 

Well, a 750w+ is a smarter move if you may want to SLI/Xfire in the future since then you don't have to buy a new psu when the time comes. 

Looks like an extremely solid build. Personally I'd go for a different case (fractal define r4 or an NZXT H440) but of course that's completely down to taste.

Looks like an extremely solid build. Personally I'd go for a different case (fractal define r4 or an NZXT H440) but of course that's completely down to taste.

Getting an expensive case at the expense of other components isn't smart

I don't really mind what the case looks like as long as it has what I need in it. 

Well, a 750w+ is a smarter move if you may want to SLI/Xfire in the future since then you don't have to buy a new psu when the time comes. 

not really planning on doing any SLI, purely because I'm a broke motherfucker

I don't really mind what the case looks like as long as it has what I need in it. 

not really planning on doing any SLI, purely because I'm a broke motherfucker

Well, times do change, and I only ask because if you do decide then you'll have to scrap your current psu and buy a new one. But, if its not in the budget, then it doesn't really matter anyway, its an easy fix later on. 

As for the case....more expensive cases (usually) have a better build quality and are easier to work in (although thats not always true). -- I've heard good things about the Haf 912 though. 

As for the case....more expensive cases (usually) have a better build quality and are easier to work in (although thats not always true). -- I've heard good things about the Haf 912 though. 

yeah a good friend of mine suggested it, and saving $50 makes a difference

yeah a good friend of mine suggested it, and saving $50 makes a difference

mhm. 

Just incase you wanted to look at other good alternatives: 

Corsair 300R 

NZXT Source 210 

Cooler Master HAF912 

Cooler Master N300 

Fractal Design Core 3500 

Archived