Minimum Wage

dabaers

Currently where I live the minimum wage is $7.50 an hour. Recently, people have been protesting for a higher minimum wage, as high as $15 an hour. I would appreciate all of your thoughts   c:

Edit: 7.50 in current United States of America dollars :P

Its a serious question. MGB didn't specify so I was hoping Short Circuit would...

It's very unlikely a Canuck would measure his wages in American dollars. 

it should vary based on age

$7.50 is plenty for a high school student, chances are its only going into college

however with the much smaller job market more people are having to work entry level positions, and $7.50 isnt a livable amount

Raising it drastically to 15 would screw alot of people and small businesses over.

Trust me, you dont want to just *double* minimum wage. It would do much more harm than good.

I heard a story today about a mall that is in two cities with different wage levels for each. The lower side gets mostly drug users etc and is always at risk of losing decent employees (factoring out location, type of work and you are left wages and work flexibility to compete with). A manager in the lower side reported it made his job hard because owners didnt allow him to offer higher wages.

On the higher paying side one owner liked thier employee situation a lot and even gave percent of profit bonus to employees although not as much as before as thier margin was smaller.

The wage needs to be uniformly higher so more of the earning base at the lower end can have a disposable income or cover cost of living.

£5.03 for an 18 year old over in Britain.
Could be better, sure, but thing could ALWAYS be better. You have to be happy with what's satisfactory.
People who are always looking for better never appreciate what they have :/

The wage needs to be uniformly higher so more of the earning base at the lower end can have a disposable income or cover cost of living.

Most Americans living below the government-set poverty line have a washer and/or a dryer, as well as a computer. More than 80 percent have air conditioning. More than 80 percent also have both a landline and a cell phone. Nearly all have television and a refrigerator. Most Americans living below the official poverty line also own a motor vehicle and have more living space than the average European -- not Europeans in poverty, the average European.

I heard a story today about a mall that is in two cities with different wage levels for each. The lower side gets mostly drug users etc and is always at risk of losing decent employees (factoring out location, type of work and you are left wages and work flexibility to compete with). A manager in the lower side reported it made his job hard because owners didnt allow him to offer higher wages.

On the higher paying side one owner liked thier employee situation a lot and even gave percent of profit bonus to employees although not as much as before as thier margin was smaller.

dude i love public radio

remember the pretzel lady

Raising it drastically to 15 would screw alot of people and small businesses over.

Trust me, you dont want to just *double* minimum wage. It would do much more harm than good.

You can't simply increase the minimum wage.

It can be if preceded with stimulus aimed at the lower income part of the economy.

It can be if preceded with stimulus aimed at the lower income part of the economy.

Like anything, it's pretty much just supply and demand. Increasing population creates higher demand for jobs, which means lower wages. It's just not sustainable for a country to "double" minimum wages.

most places in the U.S. are above the Federal Minimum but realistically minimum wage jobs have never and likely will never pay enough to "live on" as an adult. 

Like anything, it's pretty much just supply and demand. Increasing population creates higher demand for jobs, which means lower wages. It's just not sustainable for a country to "double" minimum wages.

Its also not feasable to have 60% of your labor force expierience wage decline for a 30+ year period.

My job pays like $2.50 + lunch (which is like ~$3) for working 20 minutes during my lunch break (and I only get to work for 20 minutes per day and only work 2 days in a week). It's a sad day ;-;

My job pays like $2.50 + lunch (which is like ~$3) for working 20 minutes during my lunch break (and I only get to work for 20 minutes per day and only work 2 days in a week). It's a sad day ;-;

You get paid 2.50 and lunch for working 20 minutes a day, two days a week?

You get paid 2.50 and lunch for working 20 minutes a day, two days a week?

Is that ACTUALLY a job, or are you just helping out at Grandma's house?

Archived