First Computer Build

TheDLC

I will be building my first gaming computer soon.

PC Partpicker List

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card

Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Monitor: Asus VX238H

Feel free to leave any suggestions below. 

My budget is around $1400.

Pretty solid!

Here's a few of my own observations/recommendations:

• You have a non-overclockable i5 but are buying a separate CPU fan and a good overclocking motherboard. If I were you I'd get an overclockable i5 (one with a K at the end) so you can make use of your fan and mobo
  • That's a fuckton of ram, although I guess that's not a bad thing. Still, if I were you, I'd get 8-12GB of ram and use the extra money to get a 256GB SSD instead.
  • From my own personal experience, stay far away from WD Greens, they're slow and I've had them fail on me far too often. You can get 2TB 7200RPM drives from seagate and WD for just a bit more.
  • Good GPU and PSU.
  • case is a bit gigantic and looks strange in my opinion, I'd go for a Mid ATX instead of a full tower. Still, case aesthetics should be your own preference.

in all, gud job

Way too much ram unless you are going to do some heavy rendering.

Get a 7200 RPM HDD, 5400 is outdated. You could buy a bigger SSD, but it really isn't needed since that most things that an SSD can improve can be stored in 120GB

Make sure you plug the mouse into the ethernet slot for wifi. 

Could you make a serious post? This is a serius discussion, keep your shitposting in The Great Below.

Yeah, ditto what people were saying above, there's little point in getting a nice gaming motherboard and 120mm aftermarket heatsink for a non-overclockable processor. That said, even if you don't want to shell out the extra for the k series, I would still recommend keeping the Hyper 212. Its a great budget heatsink (I've bought 3 of the evo versions and a couple 212+ 's over the years), and is well worth the money.

Also, your PSU is probably a little overkill, but its better to have too much power than too little.

Pretty solid!

Here's a few of my own observations/recommendations:

• You have a non-overclockable i5 but are buying a separate CPU fan and a good overclocking motherboard. If I were you I'd get an overclockable i5 (one with a K at the end) so you can make use of your fan and mobo
  • That's a fuckton of ram, although I guess that's not a bad thing. Still, if I were you, I'd get 8-12GB of ram and use the extra money to get a 256GB SSD instead.
  • From my own personal experience, stay far away from WD Greens, they're slow and I've had them fail on me far too often. You can get 2TB 7200RPM drives from seagate and WD for just a bit more.
  • Good GPU and PSU.
  • case is a bit gigantic and looks strange in my opinion, I'd go for a Mid ATX instead of a full tower. Still, case aesthetics should be your own preference.

in all, gud job

Edited

Try to get a i5 4690K or maybe skip the CPU cooler and buy that CPU instead.

You can't run a pc without a CPU cooler...

Unless you mean go with the cooler that comes with the CPU, if not. you're stupid.

If you're sticking to Haswell, may I suggest...

Intel Xeon E3-1220V3

It is pretty much an underclocked Core i7 without full overclocking capabilities (it can be turboed tho) and without an internal GPU in the CPU (so no Intel HD Graphics 4600 in it, so power consumption is lower). It's cheap, and it's fast.

If you're sticking to Haswell, may I suggest...

Intel Xeon E3-1220V3

It is pretty much an underclocked Core i7 without full overclocking capabilities (it can be turboed tho) and without an internal GPU in the CPU (so no Intel HD Graphics 4600 in it, so power consumption is lower). It's cheap, and it's fast.

I'll probably stick with the i5 since I'm going to use it for gaming.  B)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card  ($425.38 @ Newegg) 

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($22.10 @ Amazon) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($21.00) 

Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor  ($155.43 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1417.52

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-23 16:47 EDT-0400

Get Windows 8.1 from G2a.com for $21. 

And lose the cd drive. its ugly. 

I have had that case, I wouldn't buy it. To be honest, the case doesn't need to be anything special unless you want some kind of UFO on your desk.

Instead, buy a cheaper case with good opportunities for adding more fans in the future, while it still have okay airflow to start out with.

You're pretty hyped about the R9 290 aren't you?

I have had that case, I wouldn't buy it. To be honest, the case doesn't need to be anything special unless you want some kind of UFO on your desk.

Instead, buy a cheaper case with good opportunities for adding more fans in the future, while it still have okay airflow to start out with.

You're pretty hyped about the R9 290 aren't you?

Well, AMD is better bang for your buck in the 270-290 range. So, unless you get a good deal on an Nvidia card or need Cuda then AMD is the better choice (assuming adequate cooling is an option). 

As for the case...He could get something like a Corsair 300R or HAF912 and save like $20, but its not a huge deal and I'd rather have the R4 then either of those. Also, I didn't sacrifice any specs in order to squeeze in the better case. 

Well, AMD is better bang for your buck in the 270-290 range. So, unless you get a good deal on an Nvidia card or need Cuda then AMD is the better choice (assuming adequate cooling is an option). 

As for the case...He could get something like a Corsair 300R or HAF912 and save like $20, but its not a huge deal and I'd rather have the R4 then either of those. Also, I didn't sacrifice any specs in order to squeeze in the better case. 

Case still sucks, save your bucks and buy more fans for the money you didn't spend on a case. Works out just the way I want it to ;)

Case still sucks, save your bucks and buy more fans for the money you didn't spend on a case. Works out just the way I want it to ;)

You're like the only one I know who didn't like that case...what was wrong with it? 

I'll probably stick with the i5 since I'm going to use it for gaming.  B)

I mean this Xeon can be used as a great (and I mean great) gaming processor. This is essentially a slightly-disabled Core i7 for $100 cheaper than one, and cheaper than a Core i5.

And lose the cd drive. its ugly. 

Who knows, maybe he does things that do involve a DVD drive (I know I do things that involve one).

I mean this Xeon can be used as a great (and I mean great) gaming processor. This is essentially a slightly-disabled Core i7 for $100 cheaper than one, and cheaper than a Core i5.

An i5 is still a superior gaming chip. Four faster cores will beat 4+4 virtual  slower cores. 

Even an i7 only yields like 1-2 fps more than an i5 in games, and that comes from the higher clock speed, not hyperthreading. 

You're like the only one I know who didn't like that case...what was wrong with it? 

I had problems with it from the start, for example, after I had put all the screws in and I had finished my build and wanted to flip it over to make it stand like it should, things fell of, and yes I did do it right. After I screwed everything in again and I had used it for a day, it began making some really loud noises, and that was the fan that was broken. I could go on but that is just to name a few.

I bought a Cooler Master Elite 430 and put all fans that I could possibly fit in there and upgraded the existing ones, and it's perfect. I ran for 2 months with the stock fans and had no problems either. At the time of buying it, the Cooler Master Elite 430 with all fans upgraded etc. was cheaper than the R4 with nothing added on to it.

Archived